what amps do i need?

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by bluntmanchronic, Sep 5, 2009.

1. bluntmanchronic

bluntmanchronic Full Member

these are the stats on the subs, im not sure what amp to get, help me.. plz!
    and im getting 2 of these so help on the amp i would need would be great....

fi BTL15

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 35.6 Hz | 34.6 Hz
    Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
    Qms: 5.72 | 5.90
    Qes: .24 | .22
    Qts: .23 | .22
    Mms: 256g | 272g
    Sd: 810cm^2 | 810cm^2
    Vas: 71.6 l | 71.6 l
    Spl: 93.2dB 1W/1m | 93.1dB 1W/1m
    Bl: 18.3 N/A | 27.2 N/A
    Xmax: 28mm * | 28mm *
    Rms: 2000W * | 2000W *
    Sealed box: N/A cuft | N/A cuft
    Ported box: 3-5cuft | 3-5cuft
    Sub OD: 15.625” | 15.625”
    Cut ID: 14.125” | 14.125”
    Mounting depth: 8.750” | 8.750”
    Displacement: 0.21cuft | 0.21cuft

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i have a friend with 4 D1 15's fully loaded and he has em on 2 4000 watt mojo's. but he's also running 14 16v batts to them.

they can handle more power im sure but can your cars electrical supply the power you want to run to them?

i'm sure a good, im mean really good 2k~3k amp will more than suffice. hell even a good 1200 watt one will work. you dont NEED to give em their full rms rating unless you really want to and/or are competing with them.

how is your car set up on electrical? you'll need some extra batts for sure.

i have another friend with a mini. he runs 2 18 FI's on a sundown 3k. stock electrical and no extra batts he can play at low volumes for a few hours while driving but turn it up loud and his system dies after a few minutes due to low voltage.

3. bluntmanchronic

nah my electrical def cant power it. but i already knew that. thats why im getting batteries.

and on the amps i was thinking of 2 2k watt amps would do me good?

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

what's your budget?

5. bluntmanchronic

well im not sure yet but probably like 2k

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

for that kind of money i would look into a few Sundown Audio SAZ-2000D's.

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers/saz-2000d.html

Or you could try some Cactus sounds amps. I'm not sure of the prices but you can look into them. Here's there site:

http://www.cn-cactus-sounds.com/products-amplifier.html

or one of these:
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p3174/XXX6500D--Soundstream-1-Ch-6500-Watt-Amplifier.htm

and lastly what Pedro mentioned earlier:
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p7158/16MC14000--Memphis-4000-x-1-Class-D-Sub-Amplifier.htm

Personally, I like the sundown... but they are all good amps... I would say i like the cactus but i don't know how much they cost. lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  7. bluntmanchronic

ok and on the sundown amps how many do i need to power both of the subs fully?
    and on the soundstream 6500watt amp can i use that to power everything including speakers? jw!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  8. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

you would prob need 2 of their saz-2000s, if you want to power them to their full rms, they'll be pushing a little more than 2000 each though, because the sundown amps are rated at 12.5v.

on the other hand, if you want to just get one, the 3500d would be plenty, it wont push them to their full rms, but it should still slam.

the soundstream wont power everything, just subs

9. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

didnt danracer have one of those cactus sounds amps? or am i mistakin him for someone else?

10. pedro quiroga

all those big amps are power hungry!! just so you know.

the mojo my friend HAD wasnt an everyday amp according to him, just for burping or 30 sec bass boxing runs. he said it was putting out tons of power but needed a lot of batts to power it. he had it at 16v btw.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

any which way you're gonna cut it you WILL need tons of power for those kind of numbers. I have a friend with 8 DD 12's powered by a 10,000 watt soundstream amp.. 3 alternators and like 6 batteries if i'm not mistaken..

12. bluntmanchronic

ok well with the planet audio amp, is it possible to put 2 of them together and run my subs and speakers from it?

13. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

nope, your speaker amp should be separate from your sub amp. all the amp links provided above are D class mono amps meant for subs only. you're gonna need a 2 channel amp for your speakers up from. How many speakers do ya got up front? what are you using?

14. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

with two of those 15" btls, he should have some good fronts to keep up with that bass. well im hoping lol

15. bluntmanchronic

well i don't have any speakers yet, cause im having trouble choosing which ones that i want too get. but up front i have one in each door, there still stock, cause of the decision problem.... there probably gonna either be infinity or Rockford fosgate depending on which ones i feel like getting...
    oh and another quick question, with 2 speakers up front and 2 in the back what do you think i will need for them. like wiring wise? like accessories and stuff?

16. pedro quiroga

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ok for the power you want to run. your going to need some extra juice to keep them supplied with enough power to stay running at their full potential.

the 1st 2 had only 3k in bass with a good 4 ch amp too, what you dont see in his truck is a high output alt and some extra batts.

in my other pic the guy was running some big ass amps too and i just happened to get a pic of his batts too.

you'll need something like that. a larger alt and at least 2 big batts to supply power to them when they draw serious power for some bass notes, and all the wiring involved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this guy didnt beef up his electrical at all. just added 2 batts and ran thinner wires to them and wasnt using near as thick a wire as he should for his 12's. guess whos truck was louder with less subs and better electrical?

the 2 12's peaked at 147 db's while the van with 10 more subs only peaked at 143! and he had 2 3k amps.

17. pedro quiroga

my point is this. if you plan on going with subs that can handle 2k each and you plan on giving them 2k each. be ready to spend the money on electrical upgrades too.

with that said. some 15's on much less power will still be loud and you wont need to spend a fortune on elec upgrades like you need too with what you want to get.

jus sayin

18. bluntmanchronic

yea i totally see what your saying...
    and to me it would be worth the money...
    ok so on the amps im gonna get 2 2k watt amps, how many channels do they each need to be? and you said that would need 2 batteries right?
    and a high output alternator? what else would i need?

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

If your going to run one sub off each amp then each amp would be a one channel amp.

in addition to the 2 extra batters and HO alternator, you'll need A LOT of 1/0 Ga wires., distribution block, prolly 3 to sets of RCA's, fuses and deadening. Your planned set up is really gonna cost you a lot of $$$. You don't want to do it half a$$ed so don't cut corners, do it the right way the first time around.

As for having one set of comps up front and in the rear, i would say you should probably buy at least two sets for up front or put together an active set up in the front to keep us with the bass that you'll have. Maybe you should look a pair of 7 or 8" midbass for the doors then 6.5" mids and some beefy tweets. That would mean you'll need at least 1 2 channel amp and another 4 channel amp depending on the way you'll go about doing it. Tuning an 3-way active set up is not an easy task though.