Sealed or Ported? Fi Q

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by eazy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. eazy

eazy Full Member

If that port for the 15 needs to be 36-37" long I'm going to have a tough time just doing that and bracing it well.

2. eazy

eazy Full Member

Azn, what did you use to get 36-37"?

3. eazy

eazy Full Member

[​IMG]

Okay you know how you usually measure the inside wall of an L port? Well how do you measure the port length of a maze looking port? Diagonals like pythag. theorem?

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

going from this picture I got that number for the port length

EDIT: Ok from this picture the effective port length would be 34.375 inchs long

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  5. eazy

eazy Full Member

Forget the picture.

4 cubes @ 32Hz with a port 2.75" wide x 20.5" tall, how long should the port be?

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

oh ok

than about ~31 inches long

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

same way you measure any other slot port.

8. eazy

eazy Full Member

delete post

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  9. eazy

eazy Full Member

a guy on SSA said you're supposed to measure along the center of the path?

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

that is correct

11. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright, rather than posting every new box design I'm going to try to get it right lol.

12. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright I think this is it. By extending the back left portion of the box, I'm able to accomplish a lot of things. If you remember, my spare tire is going to be standing up behind the box. Well this way the tire will sit behind the right side of the box, and that portion will keep it from rolling as I drive. Not only that, but I put the port on that side as well, so my tire is on the opposite side of the port, which is nice since it should block less airflow back to the cabin. Then, because that portion gave me volume, I was able to decrease the depth of the box from the original 14" I had in mind to 13.5"... while changing the box to a double thick front baffle, so I've got a decent amount of room in front of the sub as well. Then, I was also able to decrease the overall height of the box from 22" to 21", which should get me better airflow too. I've got some 2x4's in there for bracing.

[​IMG]

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

put a brace from the vertical brace to the baffle

14. eazy

eazy Full Member

...I did. That horizontal 2x4 is going to be attached to the vertical 2x4 right next to it on the right side of the sub.

15. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright, my dual 2 ohm Fi Q15 with BP Power option has officially been ordered.

16. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

i think he wants you to brace the other vertical brace horizontally.

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yup ......

18. eazy

eazy Full Member

I have .247 cubes of volume saved for bracing... so if you can come up with some 2x4 bracing design that uses no more than .25 cubes, then that'd be good. But another 2x4 in there would take up too much volume.

19. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

maybe you could simply use a 1x1 of strong wood or a dowel rod.

20. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright, I'm going to order the Sundown SAE-1000D and SAX-100.4 for $585 shipped either tonight or tomorrow night. :D