new subs

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by pedro quiroga, Sep 19, 2008.

1. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

looks pretty good pedro, how does this setup compare to your kicker?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

just a little louder,but louder:D

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Sweet Pedro!!!

4. pedro quiroga

crap and double crap!!!! i know i damaged one of the 8's cause its making a buzzing sound now.

i did the same thing to the old L5 10 and now this one makes noise at low volume.:(

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice box Pedro!! How many cubic feet is it? That sucks about your sub noise, slight possibility of maybe the speaker wire is laying close to the sub's cone and is rattling against it. I usually push in the sub gently with my hand while it's playing and see if the sound cuts out. If it does the sub is half toasted. Get the refund or replacement for it soon, don't wait too long like me lol, I still have the ED 18" here.

6. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

as long as the VC former isnt bent up from the sub possibly bottoming out they should replace it for you no problem.

7. pedro quiroga

well it was my fault. i pushed it too hard. i bought them used so no free replacement;i think. its no big deal anyways i can hardly hear it and it works fine.

my old kicker did the same for a long time and it didnt bother me at all.

i still need to seal up the box some more as i laid it on its side and i hear more air. a little more glue and some time and it'll be fine till i can make a replacement.

willy d if your reading this the box sounds good for its size. so one at 38 x 15 x 10-11 should work great.

8. pedro quiroga

ok gents. i said ef it and bought some stuff with some of my money i made selling my subs. $80.58 aint too bad. the saw isnt the best but it was only 30 bucks. the mdf was cheap. 23.00 for a board and they cut it down to 4 sheets for free.

so now i have to redesign the box. this time im thinking 38 across. screw putting the spare inside again it gave me a huge blind spot anyways.

wish me luck.
    [​IMG]
    i already have a jig saw. it just not in the pic. makita.

9. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

about dam time u DIY lol

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Nice box pedro. finally, you did your first box. did you seal up the inside with some silicone?

Makita makes really good stuff. smart buy, that will last you forever!

11. pedro quiroga

the makita was a gift last year. just never had a use for it. that box was the practice one i made at work yesterday. its rough. that why i decided to make my own.

12. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

that ryobi will get it done. i love their drills.

13. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Yes...I am still here...That all sounds very cool...I am planning on getting the stuff and at least getting the sub box built this coming weekend...My table saw is in nearby storage, so me and my buddy are gonna load it up into my truck and take it to his garage..there, we can work and get it built...I can't wait...

Finally I got my bike back together and I am done screwing with it for this season..Just gonna ride it now untill the snow flies...Next weekend, my band is off with no gigs, so I can get to work building this box and getting going..I hope this time, I will get the time and follow this project thru...as many of you know I bought alot of stuff for my truck 5-6 years ago and just never got it completely finished...the Infinity separates are ones still new in a box from that purchase 5-6 years ago...

Will keep you up to date on progress and pics along the way...

Willy

14. pedro quiroga

ok well im outside building the box now.i have some pics on my phone and will put them up soon.

i went with a bigger box. 38 x 16.5 x 11. ported and it should be tuned to 30hz. i went by the RE box site. everyone has been too busy to design one so i took a risk.

man cutting a straight line is hard.lol. any tips one making a straighter cut?

pics to come soon. im getting ready to put the side on and will cut the holes in the morning.

15. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

you gotta let the saw do the talking

16. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I am gonna use my table saw...if you do not have a table saw make yourself a straightedge and clamp it to the piece...You can buy a commercial one that clamps itself to the wood...Trying to cut on a line by hand is nearly impossible to get really straight...I cut pretty well, but would never trust a cut by hand following a line for something critcal to get straight and square..

Straightedge is the way to go for sure...

Willy

17. pedro quiroga

i'll have to look into that for next time. im sure i can fix some of the errors with my jigsaw as it only needs very slight trimming.

18. pedro quiroga

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i would have had one of the port but its one of my errors that need trimming.

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

looks good so far. I had a whole furniture factory at my disposal when i did my 2 boxes. everything was complete there. I didn't have to use clamps (just used a tacker) glued and caulked everything. Boom, finished it in 2 1/2 hours.

It would be cool if you had a grinder, any small mistakes you make or made on the cuts can be fixed right away with a grinder.

Are you going to need any internal bracing for your box?

20. pedro quiroga

i dont think i'll need bracing. the port goes in 12in then in 9, and im using 3/4 in mdf.

i might have to hit up the pawn shop for tools next time around. the clamps cost me 30. the saw was 30 too ,and 10 for the 40 tooth blade. it starts too add up. i almost got a sander but the grinder sounds like a quicker fixer upper.