need help designing a box.

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by pedro quiroga, May 4, 2008.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok as most of you guys know i have a kicker 10in sub. the last show i went to i posted a personal best of 140.1, but...i want.....more!!!

so i have these orion xtr subs that i took out of their box.(sold box,didnt work like i wanted in my hatch)

so i looked up their requirements and found 2 diff size boxes they can be in.

1 says 1.75cuft ported another says 2.25 ported.per sub. i got these off the orion site.

so i have this much room to work with.
    [​IMG]

31.5 wide (tire to wheel well) X 18 high X 15 deep. thats what i would like to end up with.to keep some room back there.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. pedro quiroga

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

calling Nam!!

I wish i could help you out pedro. I went over the formulas for making a vented box but I'm REAL rusty with math other than simple accounting math.

Hopefully azn will have the time to lend you a hand.

4. pedro quiroga

thanks though. :)

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

If Azn is too busy right now. you could try this guy over in another forum. He gave me something that both Azn and Ranger said would be great. He usually answers in a day or two.

CarAudioForum.com - View Profile: mobileman

just give him what kind of truck your driving, your max requirements and what your shooting for and he can whip up the measurements you need in no time. It's worth a shot. Then you can have Azn or Ranger have a look at it to get their opinions. just give him a PM

Funny, I posted on a couple forums asking for help for my box for the 13Ov.2's and nobody wants to help. I never knew how many people hate eD. Somebody told me flat out that it's better i just ask on ICIX because nobody will answer me on their forum cuz they don't like eD.

6. pedro quiroga

well i dont belong to that site. could you post this question to him.

7. pedro quiroga

well i might have a member of another forum build it.maybe.

he lives across town from me and builds boxes for friends.

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Sorry...I can't really help you now.

I've been up since sunday morning...been studying for my Physics Final today at 10:15

wish me luck guys.

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

i got raped on that physics final...haha

10. pedro quiroga

ok ok . i'm hoping to have it made tomorrow. one way or another.

another FL spl member said he could do it but with no carpet (he's not good at it)

so i might just go to a shop down the road. if this wont work out.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's cool. when is the next comp? Carpeting a box doesn't look that hard to do if you'd like to try it out yourself. eD has a video on it.

By the way, just want to ask a question. Is your plan to have the 12" subs firing up or towards the rear? With your L5, do you find it sounding better with the sub firing up?

12. pedro quiroga

it sounds the same sub up or firing to the rear. port is on the passenger side.

its up to save room

13. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ok, I was just wondering so i can get an idea on how to do mine. maybe i'll just have the sub firing up with the vents firing to the rear.

Thanks pedro.

14. GohillaAudio

GohillaAudio Full Member

everyone feel free to correct me if im wrong.....but if you have the ports firing any other way that the direction on the speakers, doesnt that cause a certain degree of cancellation?

15. pedro quiroga

both my kicker boxes had the ports firing to the side

16. pedro quiroga

got it done! sounds awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

looks pretty nice... did they just paint it or did they put some varnish to help make the finish nicer? louder than the kicker?

18. pedro quiroga

its way louder. not paint vinyl.the ports are painted.

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

looks great pedro. what's the box tuned to? Without a doubt you'll hit mid 40's now.