I need an answer to this question...badly

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by SoloX531, Jul 3, 2011.

1. SoloX531

SoloX531 Full Member

Will a sub work correctly if it is over powered? like my l7 hasnt been working right for a while and i think its because has to many watts goin to it. The amp says 3000 watts ( i highly doubt its 3k) but thats what im goin by, and its wired down to 2 ohms which is "1500" watts and the sub peaks at that. so i was just wondering. Is there something wrong here? because ever since i got this new amp nothing has worked, but with my last amp which was a sony rated @ 1100 it worked like a charm. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

$hitty amp?

3. SoloX531

SoloX531 Full Member

Haha possibly. Oh well it, it wad free.

4. savoy

savoy New Member

maybe your ohm load is jacked up what ohm load can your amp handle?

5. SoloX531

SoloX531 Full Member

It can handle down to 1. I have the sub wired down to 2.

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

too answer your question about a driver that recieves too much wattage....yes it will perform just fine as long as you know when to take your hand off the volume knob and not exceed its thermal limits. or its excursion limits..... I would rather have too much power as opposed to too little power. Clipping is a really bad thing for any speaker.....Now for the impedance thing, just because you drop the impedance down to the lower limit of the amp does not mean it will sound better...some amps can run low ohms....but the dampning factor and the distortion goes through the roof....so not always the best thing.....just my 2.7 cents.....was 5 cents but since the value of the dollar keeps falling......

7. SoloX531

SoloX531 Full Member

Alright cool. Sooo I'm just curios I was looking around and stuff, Is a kicker ZX1500.1 a good amp for 2 12" dual VC 4 ohm l7's. I'm thinking it is, what do y'all think?

8. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

well what amp is ur 3000 watt amp??? and i would not buy kicker stuff.. just my opinoin.. there is alot of better brands out there that make more power and cleaner power for less money.. whats the price of this zx1500.1???

9. SoloX531

SoloX531 Full Member

Its a Planet Audio BB2400.1 advertised as 3000w Max. But brands such as? And the amp costs like $540 but retails way higher than that.

10. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

well i have an RE audio xtx5000.1 that does 2500RMS@1ohm for less then that shipped.. or an audiopipe 30001d for that price plus shipping that does 1500rmsx2@1ohm or 3000rmsx1@2ohm... if interested let me know... there is alot better power supplies out there then kicker...

11. SoloX531

SoloX531 Full Member

How much and what is included with the Re Audio?

12. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

i could do like 500 shipped.. and its brand new in box.. comes with manual and bass nob and all mounting screw and feet.. bad ass amp for 500 bucks.. does 1000rms x 1 @ 4ohm 1700rms x 1 @ 2ohm and 2500rms x 1 @ 1 ohm..