8" Free Air Subwoofers?

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by saahild, Apr 24, 2008.

1. saahild

saahild Full Member

Wouldnt that look a bit strange on the parcel shelf if it was uneven? I am sure I could manage the volume required. But yeah the fact that the power consumption is less is nice too.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

are you having an enclosure made?

3. saahild

saahild Full Member

I am making it myself. I am feeling all arts and crafts ish at the moment. And i saw a tutorial on how to make a fiberglass enclosure and tbh it does not look AS hard as i first thought it would be. So I am goign to be make a moes realm inspired box to sit on my parcel shelf. by sit ofcourse I mean be firmly bolted on to as its just behind my head and I don't wanna die :p. The moes real thing has the whole speedster look about it which really draws me to it and it gives me enough enclosure volume to run the JL in a sealed enclosure. I read some real rave reviews on it and I am sold :D. I know it fits behind there, atlest physically I know I have that much space to work with to accomodate that. And the moes realm dude used an older version of the same subs that I want to use which is encouraging :D.

Just need to decide on speakers that will not be drowned out by these now.

4. pedro quiroga

ok. what will be powering them? deck or small amp?

what size 6x8's or 6.75's?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. saahild

saahild Full Member

A small.. or not so small amp will be powering them. There is no deck, its a computer :D.

The speakers are going to be 6.5" component set.

I was looking at the Oz Audio Matrix Elite 180CS. Rave reviews. And should give some nice loud clear music even with the top down.

Or maybe the Infinity Perfect range...

6. pedro quiroga

duh.. i forgot.:rolleyes:

7. pedro quiroga

oz and infinity are good brands

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  8. saahild

saahild Full Member

Lol Oh good I was a bit worried how good Oz were. But they are quite expensive... so they must be decent atleast. Not too sure about the 250w RMS that they require though. But aparently a guy was running them at 450RMS which I thought was a bit of a porkie...

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

what's your budget for your components? have you looked at focal? DLS?

10. saahild

saahild Full Member

That is for the Mark 2 MX5 Pedro. The Mark 1 has a 6.5" speaker in there with a 1" tweeter. Very deep mounting depth because the window is not behind where the speaker is located.

Budget wise since I only have front doors and 2 seats I can afford to spend the front and rear door budget on just the front doors. So maybe up to $500 delivered. Only because I am in the UK so delivery could be a bit high.

11. pedro quiroga

dynaudio? those are made in denmark i believe.

those are nice.

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I didn't see any mention of Dynaudio in this thread. Those are REALLY good speakers. Expensive as hell though.

Dynaudio
    Morel
    Rainbow
    Focal
    DLS

and a lot of others that i failed to mention are high end speakers. Can't go wrong with them if you have the $$$

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  13. pedro quiroga

what can you get locally?

14. saahild

saahild Full Member

Um to be entirely honest I am looking at shipping in from the states. It is just way cheaper out there, especially with the conversion rate ATM. So basically any website that is willing to ship to the UK.

15. GohillaAudio

GohillaAudio Full Member

One piece of advise about "free-air" subs,

"Boxless" woofers do not exist. The term Free-air & Boxless was meant to mean you can mount woofers in a baffle board located against the back seat inside your trunk rather than in a box placed in your trunk. If done correctly, your trunk becomes the box and traps the back waves of the woofers, while the front waves come through your back seat.

The difference between a "Free-Air" woofer and any other kind is a rather gray area. In general a Free-air woofer will be lower compliance than usual which means it is stiffer. Since it will not have a tightly sealed box to push against, the suspension system which controls how the cone moves in and out, must be tighter. If it were not, the speaker would do something not unlike a fish out of water every time you turned it up loud.

7 out of 10 "Free-Air" installations that I have seen are done incorrectly. These installs use a board with two holes in it and screw it to the back seat from the trunk. All around the board are gapping holes from which cancellation can occur. These installs ALWAYS sound render your bass innacurate and dirty.......just something to consider....the term "free air" it thrown around too much

16. pedro quiroga

well it wont matter now since he's going with an enclosure.lol.

17. GohillaAudio

GohillaAudio Full Member

to quote pedro:

haha

18. saahild

saahild Full Member

Lol still some very useful information :D. Thanks for explaining what free-air means Gohilla. Would you guys mind particularly if I posted up a potential shopping list of parts that I want to get?

19. GohillaAudio

GohillaAudio Full Member

go for it man!