what amps do i need?

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by bluntmanchronic, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

pedro and ccullen are right about spending a lot of money. would this be your first system?? because 2 15" fi btls is a lot for your first system. im sure you'll be happy with even one 15" ft bl

2. bluntmanchronic

bluntmanchronic Full Member

oh i get it. so if i was using 1 4k watt amp to power them it would need to be a 2 channel amp?
    and on the distribution block, what kind, cause there seam to be many different kinds?
    and what is this? "prolly 3 to sets of RCA's"
    and what is fuses and deadening? i know what fuses are but not sure what you mean by this...

and as for up front, i think im gonna go with what you suggested. some 8". and do the tweets go with the 6.5" speakers? so what do you recommend for the brand of speakers upfront?

3. bluntmanchronic

i know they are right about how much its gonna cost. yes it is my first system, but i have a couple of friends with systems, and i would rather go all out than do what they did..... i see what your saying about being happy with 1 but i would rather go big with 2 of them...

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

this distribution block would depend on how many amps you'll be running. If you want to do one component set and one set of 8's then you'll need two 2 channel amps or one big four channel amp.

If you'll go with a 3 amp set up then you'll have to get a distribution block with 1 1/0 input and 3 outlets. so your power will go to the into the inlet then be distributed to the 3 amps. that will be after the batteries that you'll be using of course.

Man, this is a BIG set up you're talking about... How much are you looking to spend on the components and 8's for the doors?

You'll also have to look into sound deadening that's for sure or your car will just rattle. I hope you know how to take your interior out cuz that's what you'll have to do. You have to deaden the inner and outer front doors, the roof, and trunk area at least.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

do you understand how much all this will cost?

6. bluntmanchronic

oh yea did i tell you all this is gonna be going into a truck not a car.... and i already have my backseat gone so thats not a problem.
    ok well why don't i just make this easy on myself right now... ill just put 6.5" with tweets in the front doors and in the back i have room for 6x9s in the side walls. ill just stick with that right now before i get any other speakers so i can see what i wanna do before i make any big moves.... im still gonna get the 2 15s and all the amps i need to power them, plus all the other things i need for it.

and as for the deadening, i know i can get someone to doo that fro me cause that i have no idea how too do....
    ok so with just the 2 front speakers and the 2 wall speakers in the back, what kind of stuff will i need for those?
    im just gonna stick with this for right now to see what else i can afford when the road comes... and the money thing is not really an issue right now cause im working as much as i can to get more money... i already know how much the subs and head unit is gonna cost me, i just have not added up all the other little things needed for it. and as for speakers not sure on brand yet but no more than 200 per speaker...

7. bluntmanchronic

yes i do its gonna cost me alot of money, but its ok!
    i can afford it.. and no i don't get all my money from my parents either, i work hard for my money, ive been saving fora a couple years..

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's cool! saving up is the trick! lol

for your power:
    1. HO alternater
    2. 2 extra batteries
    3. 1/0 Ga wires - power, ground and big 3 upgrade.
    4. inline fuses for under the hood and a distribution block at the amps (fused)
    5. 3 sets of RCA's and a lot of speaker wire. :)

amp/s:
    I'd just say get a beefy 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers for your mids and highs
    Sub amp - i guess you know what your getting now.

component speakers:
    here's the trick with components. you need something loud! really loud to keep up with your BTL's. try to find component speakers and speakers for the rear with high sensitivity like 90+db ratings. Honestly, i don't think just one set up front will keep up with the BTL's but you can give it a shot and then work on it from there.

Take a look at brands like JBL or even the RE XXX series components. the trick here is spend more for your from components and less for the rear speakers so you'll have a solid front stage.trust me on this with spending more on your front stage. I think I saw someone selling new RE XXX components for about $300, then you can get some 6x9's for the rear that is if the box doesn't take up all the space.

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

oh, have you decided on what amp you're going with for your BTL's?

10. bluntmanchronic

for your power:
    1. HO alternater ( is their a really good brand that you know of?)
    2. 2 extra batteries ( what good brand?)
    3. 1/0 Ga wires - power, ground and big 3 upgrade.
    4. inline fuses for under the hood and a distribution block at the amps (fused)
    ( what are the inline fuses?)
    5. 3 sets of RCA's and a lot of speaker wire.
    ( and i don't understand what rcas are...)

would you say a 1000 watt 4 channel amp for the speakers?
    and yea i think it will be easier if i get one 4k watt amp thats 2 channels..

and for speakers i was thinking,

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17714_JBL+GTO608C.html
    link....

* 6-1/2" Grand Touring Series 2-Way Car Component System
    * Power Handling:
    o Peak: 420 watts per set / 210 watts each side
    o RMS: 140 watts per set / 70 watts each side
    * Patent pending Plus One woofer cones
    * Mylar/titanium composite dome tweeters
    * Computer-optimized voice matched passive crossover
    * Sensitivity: 92 dB
    * 2 ohms impedance
    * Frequency response: 50-21,000 Hz
    * Top-mount depth: 2"
    * Cutout diameter: 5-1/16"
    * 1-year SonicElectronix.com warranty

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

1. for an HO alt. you can look into Iraggi. I think ebay has em.
    2. for batteries there are a lot. powermaster or optima are a few to name.
    4. inline fuses will be used under your hood.
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Inline%20Fuse%20Holders
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Distribution%20%2F%20Fuse%20Blocks
    5. RCA's... here's a link
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p619/IMXLN2C5M--Monster-Cable-2-Ch-16-Ft-MicroXLN-Interconnect.htm

Those JBL's may do it. you can try them out. they do have 92db sensitivity. Hey Jonny, are these what you got?

What amp did you have in mind for your components? got a link? I'm pretty anal so i like my amps to match brand wise. what amp did you decide on for your subs?

12. jonnyv713

i got the 607's they were the ones on onlinecarstereo.com that were cheaper and i like the grills better on them. ill let you know how they sound! i need em loud too bud so we r on the same boat.

13. bluntmanchronic

ok im looking for some alternators, ill keep looking.
    on the batteries, how many volts should they be?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Powermaster-Batteries,24796.html

ok so the link fuse you gave me, thats the kind i need right?
    and do i need a 2 or 3 way distribution box?

well on the amp for the speakers what wattage am i looking for, i dont wanna under power them but id o wanna give them sufficiant power.

on the sub amp im having trouble finding one thatys meets what i need.
    any suggestions?

14. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

12 volt battery.

how many amps are you going to use? 2 or 3? if you'll use 2 then get a one inlet with 2 outs or if you'll run 3 amps then the 3 outlets. look for the 1/0 inlet and outlets if possible.

ok, you wanna go with the JBL's right? let me know what the budget is for both amps and I can look for something for ya. are you open to getting some used amps or do you want brand new stuff?

15. bluntmanchronic

ok so from that link i could use 2 of those 12 volt batteries?
    ok well for my subs im using 2 amps.
    and for the speakers i guess im gonna get one. if thats right?

and as for the jbls yea im gonna go with those.
    and my budget for the subs is 1200 to 1500 dollars, possibly more if needed.
    and i would honestly prefer new stuff when everything else is pretty much gonna be new...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  16. bluntmanchronic

ok so from that link i could use 2 of those 12 volt batteries?
    ok well for my subs im using 2 amps.
    and for the speakers i guess im gonna get one. if thats right?

and as for the jbls yea im gonna go with those.
    and my budget for the subs is 1200 to 1500 dollars, possibly more if needed.
    and i would honestly prefer new stuff when everything else is pretty much gonna be new...

17. jonnyv713

My JBL's are starting to break in more and they continue to get louder and louder and cleaner!!!

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Su-weet!!! good to hear that your JBL's are sounding good! I have my focals hooked up already. PURE EAR SEX!!!

19. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

"PURE EAR SEX!!!" lmao never heard that expression before but I like it lol....

20. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ha you've never heard that before? lol. i know some guys with systems that rape ears..lol.

mine has been known to give eargasm's.