subs constantly moving

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by twk62390, Dec 11, 2006.

1. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

i wasnt sure if i should post this under the sub secton or the amp section. but i was comming home today with the volume almost all the way down and my subs just started to make a humming noise and then shake.....i cant think of a better way to explain it other than spazing out. i checked the ground first.....and then all the other wires and cant find any problems. Anybody kno what could be causing this?
    thanks

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Do you have a good ground???

How is the gain set???

What source did you use for remote???

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

so the subs just move in and out?i had a similar prob about 13 years back.if i remember right my batt was crapping out and couldent hold a charge ant more.

so my amp wasnt getting enough voltage.got a new batt and all was good again.

that was my fix.not sure if it can be the same for you.

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Sounds like a ground issue or even an audio path signal is "corrupted"....

Check for pinched or shorted audio cables, and be sure the grounds are PERFECT.

Could be a bad amp too, but doubtful

If you unplug the RCA cables, does it stop? (yes, answer this question)

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

................................yes

6. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

i have my gain about half way...level all the way. all the wires appear to be ok....except where im grounded it isnt completly sanded to bare metal. but yea. also it does stop when my RCA wires are disconnected.

7. TheViking

Now, plug the rca's back into the amp and disconnect them from the radio......... does it quit then???????? (YES, do this too!!!!!!!!! if you want help that is)

8. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

ok...im goin to do that right now....ill let you know as soon as i get done

9. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

ok.....it stops when uplugged from the HU also

10. TheViking

You have a head unit issue

check the ground connection for the radio, it should be solid and not "cheesed"....best to ground the radio back at the amps location....also be sure the radio i getting proper voltage using a VOM.........

Does the system do this with ONLY the lights on?

11. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

no...it does it with the lights on and off but just started today. i should also include the subs make a louder noise when i change songs on a cd. i will be sure to check the HU ground tomorrow....but i honestly didnt kno the HU had a ground...i had that part professionaly installed. thanks for the help so far. i appreciate it

12. TheViking

Since it was "professionally" installed, may i suggest you take it back to the installers and have them check it out.....any reputable commpany will have a lifetime warrenty on the INSTALL., not the parts and equipment, but the installation , or any bad part caused by a botched up install.....would be worth checking into! BTW, starting to sound like a HU issue for sure, if it aint due to a wiring problem. Ranger, whaddya think?

13. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

ok....if youre pretty sure is a HU problem im just going to take it to bestbuy first so that they cant say i messed with it or anything...not sure if they would but i dont wanna take that chance...and also...my HU does get unsually hot but i thought that was jus normal for kenwood but now that you mention a bad ground maybe, could that cause it to get hot?