Do i keep sort of blowing my subs..?please help

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by Johnrizzo1992, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Johnrizzo1992

Johnrizzo1992 New Member

Hey guys I can really use a little advice here, so long story short I bought 2 kicker cvrs and a box off a buddy mine a couple weeks ago, and they were working great up until yesterday. It literally went like this-i get out of car, everything's fine. I get back in car a few hours later to go to work, the subs sound like there not hitting nearly as hard as they were, I listen to alot of metal music and I could instantly tell they were off when any drums came in, it seems like they perform okay with bass drops but even those sound off. I had a pair of a audios that did something similar before these as well except it was just the one sub. And my first sub I ever had, a Sony xplod, exact same deal. I know I fried the Sony because the cone was frozen, but I mean can this really happen this fast? Its all within 3 months of eachother. The amp is a Sony xplod 800 watt amp, and the kickers are 4 ohm 400 watt rms subs, and the amp can do 280x2 channels at 4 ohms. Is it a wiring issue maybe? Or maybe am I just blaring my music to loud or something? Thanks

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

First thing I would consider is changing your amp. That Sony is weak. Sony seriously overstates what that amp can do, most likey 200 to 400 watts at the most.

I've had the same sub in my truck for nearly 12-years and I play my music loud. So here is my suggestion, get a decent amp. And match them to your speakers. Here is what I mean, if the sub is rated at 400-Watts RMS the amp should be rated at 400 to 500-watts RMS. If you have two subs and they are rated at 400-Watts each, then get an Amp rated at 800 to 1000 Watts RMS.

Ignore Peak Power, its a serious lie about whats really going on. Look at the RMS Power ONLY

Maybe you should consider a decent box, ProBox are the best and worth every penny.

Let me add something, my wifes woofer is rated at 200-watts RMS, her amp 300-watts RMS. She plays her music pretty loud. Still going strong

My 10-cents worth