Will I have enough power?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Fi fan, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Fi fan

Fi fan Full Member

I currently have a 2000 Toyota corolla it has an 80 amp alt. and i was planning on doing the big three and putting a upgraded batt. in. will that be enough to run a hifonics 1500d and an Fi BL 15 @ 1 ohm? another kinda unrelated question realistically how many watts will that hifonics amp be putting out @ 1 ohm?
    Answers are appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Did a quick search of that amp. An 80 amp charging system will work...kind of...

Doing the big 3 and a higher quality battery will help no doubt! But anytime you run an amp or amps that pull enormous amounts of current and you play your system at ear rattling levels on a continuous basis....very soon your battery will be dead and your alternator will be very unhappy. If you wanna play a song or two at max bass levels you can do that, but you will have to give time for the alternator to recharge the battery in between blast sessions. If you would like to have longer play times, look into adding additional batteries. But again, once they are depleted, it will take even longer too charge that bank of batteries..

3. Fi fan

Fi fan Full Member

Thanks for posting i appreciate your input another quick question though. if im playing music at a lower level than will it still kill the battery like lets say 1/2 volume or even 1/4 at least until i get a ho alternator
    thanks again

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

the lower the volume, the longer the play time... If you pulled, say 40 amps rms the alternator could run your car and stereo all the time...

I wish someone would make an RMS current meter so a real time current draw would indicate what is really going on

5. Fi fan

Fi fan Full Member

Ok I get what u mean, thanks for the input