Which head unit would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by gunnerman, Nov 20, 2008.

1. gunnerman

gunnerman Full Member

I am thinking of replacing the current headunit that is in my car. Which headunit would you recomment for around $250?

here is the current setup in my car.

pioneer deh 2900mp
    boston acoutic pro60 6.5" component fronts
    stock rears
    JL 300/4 v2. amp
    JL 500/1 class D sub amp
    2 JL 10"W3's in the JL High output box.

I would like to upgrade the headunit so that I can have a cleaner sound and more control over the EQ. I was thinking about buying the Pioneer deh 7800mp. What would u recomment for my budget?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. wvjbl

wvjbl New Member

Alpine 9886

Crutchfield has them right now on sale for $244 (down from $299). Seems like a real nice unit -

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmmm tough choice. i know crutchfeild will also give you everything you will need to install it.

5. gunnerman

gunnerman Full Member

yea..crutchfield gives you that install kit. I've installed a few headunits before so i'd probably only need a harness for the install. I already have a pioneer harness for honda/acura in the car i'll be transferring all the components from.

What do you think of the functionality of the alpine? I had one before and the EQ was really hard to use. Does anyone have experience the particular alpine head that was suggested?

6. DMP

DMP Full Member

Id go with Pioneer.

7. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

i really want that same one, i dont think i can commit to full digital right now though

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have not had a CD in my truck for 2 or 3 years, so its an easy choice for me.

Now for Gunnermans question, I really like the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB at that price point. The one down side, its hard to navigate the menus with out a remote. And the is a little bit of a learning curve with that radio. But its a good HU

The Pioneer DEH-P4000UB is also a good choice, but same problems as the 6000. Hard to navigate the menus.

I recommend these HU's because I deal with them every day. They are reliable. Also, the have USB inputs.

9. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

every pioneer i've installed worked flawlessly and they're full of features. i like that alpine though i may consider come time.

10. Eleu

Eleu Full Member

Just like every truck guy like his chevy or ford or Toyota even....*Cough*
    Every enthusist will have thier brand of head unit that they stick by religiously,, i prefer pioneer, just because when i started installing they were around, and making bad a$$ products then you know? ive never had issue with pio's. but that could be because i know them well, This model is P I M P though, it looks clean as hell installed lights up reel perty, and has GREAT EQ control. ( this is actually my next head unit lol up grade from the p600ub)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008