What Was With That Dumb Ed Thread On Caf

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Feandil, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

Only made it through the first page of this thread but I did read David's request and thought it was an honestly genuine offer. Even if it wasn't, there is no rule saying everyone has to play nice. They ARE competitors, you dont see Ford and Chevy playing nice do you? RE is a good company and David is a good guy who delivers. ED builds good stuff and they have a good staff, but I've had my differences with Ben himself. Doesn't mean I'm an ED hater, I recommend them ALOT to others, but I just dont run them myself because I dont like the constant changes for one, and secondly I'm not a huge fan of their business ethics. Which brings me to...

Secondly, ED isn't a very big company, although they did purchase that car and trailer, so that says something about their financial situation, but I know they used to do preorders to get money to build what the preorder was for. I dont much think that is the situation now but I wouldn't want to be waiting for my speakers either, especially if they are listed as "In Stock" on the website. Just my .02 cents. Anyways, on to page 2 :)

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL!!!

Marshall is a very good friend of mine, one who has my utmost respect. My ending statements were purely the sort that he and I toss around at each other :p . Trust me, there is no ill will in those comments... Marshall is a bro B)

Hey, I figure every now and again they just need to know I still care about them over there :blink:

3. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

LOL!!!

Marshall is a very good friend of mine, one who has my utmost respect. My ending statements were purely the sort that he and I toss around at each other :p . Trust me, there is no ill will in those comments... Marshall is a bro B)

Hey, I figure every now and again they just need to know I still care about them over there :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Oh I know you were just messing around.

I am beginning to grow tired of CAF myself. I just wish that there was a board that had its popularity with the maturity shown here. Might as well be a post whoring bastard over there. Everyone else is(minus geo).

4. k-mart

k-mart New Member

The thing I find the most humorous in all this is MichaelP's implications about Destijl's quality control is lackluster at best. I can only assume he is referring to the constant problems of the blue "e" dustcap woofers that destijl built. The funny thing is, Mikey doesn't have the slightest clue as to why those subs had problems.

You see, sometimes the company that builds the product has more knowledge about the product that another company wants them to build. It is only logical that when the building company knows certain parts won't work well that they tell the company that has contracted their business. When the contracting business insists that they still use these infirior parts, and problems arise just as suspected, the contracted company might not enjoy having to repair all those faulty products.

5. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Michael, I think you are fully entitled to state your opinion on any subject :) No reason whatsover to suppress your opinion if you feel strongly about an issue... This is what is great about freedom of speech. However, since you strike me as a very intelligent person (minus your spelling skills, LOL), I am certain you fully realize there are consequences of speaking your mind in situations like this one when you can expect with a certainity a counterpoint from persons that feel otherwise... This is what opinions are, expressions of feelings on a specific issue or subject and since there as many opinions as members on any forums, chances are pretty good you will get chastised or flamed... But this should not discourage you from stating your own opinions, do it whenever you feel obligated to... Personally, I think it is great people get passionate about car audio related issues... I can always appreciated another point of view, no matter if it contradictory to my own beliefs or opinions... ;)

6. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Once again, you are generalizing and offending many good people on CAF... If you are tired, take a break from CAF but do not label everyone with negatives... Any forum is as good as everyone can make... And maturity comes with time (if it ever comes) so having some hotheads and opinionated bastards is a given.... but just look beyond it and think of the good folks... except for frigging Geo... LOL... :rolleyes: :p

7. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

I plan to. If i ever (big IF BTW ;) ) buy from ED it will be through telephone. This is a big learning experience for me from buying from them... even though it's not my subs. It honestly sucks for my boy though.... when he got his first 10 K a couple of months before he ordered the others... it shipped in 1 day. So there wasn't a reason to suspect a 7+ week delay.

I don't see myself ever buying from ED... unless I see this shipping and inconsistency problem fixed. 4 10" IDQ's shipped immediately or 4 K's shipped 7 weeks later :rolleyes:

I'd honestly like to know Ben's reason for not accepting David's offer. But we'll probably never REALLY know

8. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I agree with Ben not accepting the offer from RE solely because the way it was offered was not ethical as far as business is concerned. It's been stated by many people that business such as this does not need to be conducted on public forums for all to see...the only reason for doing something like that would be for a publicity stunt...and that's the end of the story.

Let it be known that i do not support nor have I ever owned a product from either company and i'm not sure that i ever will.

The whole thing didn't make much sense from a business standpoint to me.

9. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Hi all...

I'm probably one of a few people (and probably the only one in this thread) who's actually dealt with all the build houses in this thread, and then some (either directly or in a contract engineering/design role where I did not directly deal with the build house but with their customer). In terms of quality, Destijl does - in my experience - come up second. Eminence is first. The other build houses mentioned in this thread are a good step back from Destijl, again in my experience.

The few times we've had an issue with a problem in a Destijl built driver, they have been very fast to respond. And they are willing to use whatever parts I spec, including glues (try that with any other build house). I take engineering of my drivers seriously (and yes, I spec a LOT of fine details, down to the orientation of the spider, glues used, as well as dimensions for all machined/cast parts), and expect build houses I work with to be just as serious. In my experience, only Eminence, Destijl, Misco, and TB have nailed it right every time.

Bottom line - Destijl, like all build houses - will build what you want. If you provide a poor spec, or insist on a feature against their recommendations, and you have precious little experience/knowledge in driver design, don't be surprised when it fails. A build house is to build what you spec; if you can't spec it, then you don't get it. Note that's where consultants - like myself - can be utilized...

As far as the offer being ethical or not, I don't think there's any question but that it was ethical. Was it tasteful? That's a different question - but ethics wasn't a problem at all...

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I see ethics and taste as going hand in hand. Ethics deals with moral issues, and morally, it was wrong for him to make that offer as he did. Taste and morals are very close to synonyms IMO. I know i'm not the only one to see it as a blatant attempt at some publicity for RE.

Now, had he made the offer in private, that would have been morally correct. Then it would have been up to Ben whether or not to give RE credit. Obviously RE did not want to make the offer without getting credit for it...pretty bad ethics IMO.

11. bigbassman

bigbassman New Member

I love watching Michael take 1/10 of a story and run with it like gospel..

credibility? zip

Marshall, Dan, excellent posts..

I'm not well like here.. so I bid farewell.. to re-read, and laugh some more..

Michael.. I'm sure we'll meet up more on CAF.. I promised you that a long time ago..

Loyd L.

12. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Thanks for your perspective on this Dan

Does ED use Destijl? Or does RE?

What build house does ED use?

13. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Thanks for your perspective on this Dan

Does ED use Destijl? Or does RE?

What build house does ED use? [/b][/quote]
    eD used to use Destijl, they now use TC Sounds for every driver but the Kx series which is made by ID. RE uses Destijl.

14. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Anyone know what happened to Onyx? I held their drivers in high regards.

15. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

they're still out there... I think? Last I know they were fighting it out with RE, LOL... :rolleyes:

16. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Well, I heard somewhere that they went out of business. I know their site is no longer accessible and I would hate to see them go. I was actually considering them for my sub-bass duties, but Kodas are in my future.

17. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

their gone...the shop down the street was supposed to be getting the new LSv2's a few months ago...never materialized...now they are having a difficult time getting warrenty authorization...so all the LSv1's are on clearance...10% below dealer cost...they are dropping the line and cleaning house

18. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Delvryboy....... You know the name and number of this shop? I'd like to pick up a couple of them if they're that cheap.

19. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

i believe the name is M&K audio in chicago....bunch of dimwits actually..but it's around the corner...so when i need to grab something real quick...i swing in there

20. deyton

deyton Full Member

I'm pretty sure Scott massenwhatever posted somewhere saying they're not out of business, just a major setback or something. Could be wrong though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.