What Have You Done This Summer?

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by sandt38, Jun 6, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I built... or I should say, finally finished these :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speakers... See the nice finish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spike feet. These things are dangerous!!!

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Those are beautifull Seth.

3. ASM

ASM Full Member

Wow, those look great. Very professional looking Seth. I still love that veneer you got.

Take a picture or two of em set up with the rest of the stereo.

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Thanks fellas...

ASM, here are a couple quick shots of the wall...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Damn! That finish is throwing off reflections! Amazing.

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL, I saw that when I posted it here, That is pretty cool actually. I am going to be building the grill for the center this week, so I will add pics when I do.

Here is my new HT page on SD. I will be adding my tutorials to this page when time allows:

Here 'tis

7. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Wow Seth, those look amazing. I love that finish. Match that look with what I was talking to you about, and you could sell the speakers for a lot of money. Where is the other AV8? I thought you went with the 281's.

How much time did it take you to build those (actual work total)? Now that you have experience doing it, how much time would it take you if you had to do another set?

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I am buying new tools as we speak to support that Steven ;) . I will be offering completed Adire kits as well as a special "S-F" design, with Dan's consultation on the crossover of course.

Someone else asked me the same question, and I mapped it out for him...

Figure an hour hands on per coat of laquer for the pair of speakers, not apiece. There are 16 coats of lacquer, so 16 hours. Figure an hour per speaker to sand every 5 coats. That is 3 sandings per speaker times 2 speakers, for 6 more hours. 16 hours of cutting, assembleing and veneering, 3 more hours for the inlays, and 3 hours for crossover construction (including cutting the wood, drilling, soldering, and tiewrapping all components), and an hour to remove the crossovers and do my little tweek on the tweeter side.

All told from start to finish hands on design, construction and finishing, about 45 hours. All told in actual time, about 2 months. Of course, I did build my center channel in the middle of the main construction too.

worth every second. They look better than I ever expected and they sound simply amazing.

How much less time? Not much. I may be able to knock 4 hours or so off the time, but that is really nominal. But, I would not normally lacquer so thick. This was 16 coats all told. I could easily get away with 4 or 5 coats, so there is another 11 or 12 hours off. 16 coats would definately be a special order deal. Lacquering is hard work.

Oh, I bought the 81s, I needed a 8 ohm load

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Well, my wife kinda tore up my speakers :angry: . She put a paper DVD case on the top of one while it was still tacky :blink: . When I pulled it up I left some paper behind and had to fix it. Oh well, look at it this way, it gave me a reason to pull them out and take new pics!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I finally got enough light to get the whole wall. You will notice I finished my grill for the center too... New power conditioner on the way as well...

[​IMG]

11. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Wow Seth, you've got all the expensive hobby's. :D

12. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Lookin good Seth... Now it's time to invest in some wall treatments.... :D