Went back to all old school amps

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by pedro quiroga, Aug 5, 2009.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

like the title says i went back to my old PG amps. only 2 for now. the M44 and M50.

only 260 rated watts rms but the way they are wired its way more than that.

the front 2 ch's on the M44 is at 2 ohm stereo @ 175HZ hipass to the upper doors. 110 x2 @ 2Ω.

the rear 2 ch's are running @ 2 ohm mono to the lower doors @ 75hz hipass. doing around 220ish x1.

the M50 is running @ 4 ohm mono for 245 watts. @75hz lowpass. the cool part is that the M44 has a built in sub xover that works with the rear channels or an external amp. it is very flexible indeed. i even have the LP44 bass vol knob that goes with it.

when i add the 2nd M50 im going to run them to the sub. one wired to each coil. they will be gain matched with my DMM. each will do 350 at 2 ohm mono. i just need to make a panel like CC did to house them all together.

2. pedro quiroga

here are some pics.

Attached Files:

3. pedro quiroga

might just go with 2 of my 8's as the other 2 are shot. they still play but one is noisy and the other is down a coil.

i really wanna do a spare tire enclosure for the 2. sealed at 350 watts @ 2 ohms.

i just need to hit the salvage yard for a tire big enough tire to house the subs.

not sure if i want an empty tire or one with a deep rim. will need to accommodate the lag bolts or if i decide on the empty tire i'll have to use fiber glass to stiffen it up. and foam to make it around 1cf or a lil more.

then i'll bolt the wood panels to the tire. using what i need to make it as sealed as i can. i'l prod need 100 bolts and washers.

this shouldnt cost too much. a junk tire is like 10 bucks. the wood would be like 10 or 15 for 2 sheets of smaller sheets.

im hopeing to keep it under 50. hell i can use some bolts and washers from work. we have tons of em.

i made one before years ago and it rocked, but i over powered the cvr in it and traded up for my L5.

hmmm maybe the 15 in there sealed might work. oh well if not one more board wont cost too much.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I love your old school PG amps... Make something to house the amps in. That will look sweet!

Ever thought of putting the 8's in the doors? I'm sure you could do it for a minimal amount of money.

5. pedro quiroga

nah im going to use em in the back in some way.