Voltage changes rms

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by um_assault, Feb 17, 2010.

1. um_assault

um_assault Full Member

I just have a general question. i noticed that on some of the higher class brands like JL Audio for example that they rate the rms different as different voltage. How does this work and is it talking about the voltage of your battery or the voltage leading to your subs. If not in parrallel they would be different but idk if they are considered to be or not.

2. agrimm34

agrimm34 Full Member

I'm kind of confused about what your asking but I'll try to answer the best you can. On amplifiers they rate the power output of the amp based on the input voltage running into them from the source of power such as the car battery. I'm pretty sure most brands use the 14.4 volts to get there specs of what their amps should produce in watts. For instance, if your car's battery voltage is 13.0 your amp will put out less power than it would if it was at 14.5.

As for voltage leading into your subs there is voltage but nothing majorly high. Your amp takes your audio signal and produces a higher signal in WATTS not volts to run to your subs. The very little voltage that runs to your subs is a alternating current (AC). This allows your subs to be able to extend and repel. Hope this helps....

3. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

It depends on the design of the amplifier. Unregulated versus regulated power supplies. In unregulated amps it directly depends upon input voltage. In a regulated amp there is a circuit that monitors rail voltage and varies the duty cycle to keep rail voltage very close or exactly on voltage target and it really does not depend on input voltage, it should always make full rated power. A good example of this is JL Audios R.I.P.S which stands for "regulated intelligent power supply". Of course both kind of amps will shutdown if the voltage drops below a certain level, usually around 9 or 10 volts.

4. um_assault

um_assault Full Member

yea this helps. i saw it and i was just really curious how it worked. thanks

5. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

most of the mainstream amps are CEA compliant, so they put out their RMS at 14.4v...but other brands like sundown, stetsom, elemental designs, etc...rate their amps at 12.5 or 13.8v, so you get a little more than the rms stated