Vehicle choices for $5,000

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by cccullen, May 10, 2009.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Ok, well here's the story... AGAin, i'm thinking about making a move back to the U.S. and since my funds are going to be limited cuz i'll still have to look for a job I'll be looking for a vehicle. It has to seat at least 5 people. I don't care if it's a car or suv (i just don't want a minivan)lol.

I'm just looking for suggestions at the moment... So what would be good to get with a $5000 budget?

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Cadillac???? haha when i get some time i will look aroud for you.

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Thanks Jonny. Problem is, if i move to Florida again, caddy's are an old persons car. lol

4. jonnyv713

not if you DUB 'em up haha jk

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Jonnny, I was looking at a few cars... tell me what you think. I won't post links but just the names. I'm not too familiar with cars in the U.S. anymore. lol

Jaguar x-type
    Nissan Altima
    Lincoln LS
    Dodge Stratus
    Dodge Intrepid
    Chrysler sebring

I also looked at the 4 door jimmy's, Chevy trailblazers, grand cherokee's and a few dodge durango's.

the only caddy i would want is the CTS. lol sometimes you can find them between 6 to 7 g's.

I'm trying to stick with cars that have under 100k mileage. not sure if it's okay to buy a car with over 100k on the clock.

ONe more question..... when making a deal on a used car, how much can you usually talk them down on the price?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

for 5 people id look into the grand cherokee, trailblazer,and the durango.

the 4 door blazer would be a tight fit.

what part of FL, would you be moving too?

7. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

you can usually find 4 dr honda accords from 2000-2003 decently priced. also camrys 1997-2001 or the next model isnt too bad either

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well, if i'm going back i'd be making a total new start with my life so i wouldn't have much of a choice but to go back to south florida, coral springs in particular. Looks like i'm going to have to live with my mom for a little bit til i get on my feet and find i job.

My trip will be kinda dual purpose really. I'm going to talk to my old friends about what i'm going to do. Two of my friends have businesses and offered me a job but I have to look into it more. One is in New York and the other is in South Florida...

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

my wife has an accord right now. the accords are cheaper here compared to the U.S. I didn't know honda's held their value that well in the U.S.

10. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

i think hondas/toyotas/nissans hold their value much more than american cars do..

and hopefully you move back to coral springs! so someone from this forum wont be far from me lol

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

where in florida do you live? Yeah, you're right about the most of the jap cars. they hold their value well.

12. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

im in tampa. thats not too far.

dont forget about the show this sunday!!! also there is one in st pete on sat i think.

13. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i didn't forget pedro... I have your number and the driving directions. see you there. what time will you be getting there? Will frankie rio be there?

I've been looking at the land rover discovery. What do you guys think of them? They're supposed to be real good but just like the jags, land rovers have no resale but it is the number 1 choice for SUV's at around $5k

14. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Rovers and Jags usually have good resale value in the states. My original though was Grand Cherokee.

15. jonnyv713

Ya, they tend to hold their value well. I'm in South Dakota though and the market is different than in Florida so I don't really know much about it out there.

16. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I live in Alabama and they seem to hold good here.

17. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

i live near sample/military...not too far from coral springs, if you're moving out there.

oh and about the show this coming sunday, i probably wont be going. i had a lot of stuff come up i had to pay for this week :(

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Really? I found a few 2000-2002 Land Rover Discovery for around 5-6k. 70-80k on the clock and they look good.. I'm just wondering about the maintenance on them.