Us Amps Vlx 400

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by electrolytic, Mar 30, 2008.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

is that for a car or home use? If i were you, i'd just put it in the recommended size of 3 cubes. Better to be safe than sorry.. I thinking that the excursion is more in the smaller box? If it is, put it in a bigger box, i know you don't want that sub going out on ya.

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ya it's for a car, i've had infinity reference subs in this same box before and they sounded great. Cerwin vega recommends 2.5 cubic feet @ 35hz so i guess i'll go with that.

STROKER 12
    2.5 cu.ft. 20 sq.in. 17" 35 hz

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

burned cds can fry your amp!

I found out why my sub sounds real tight and no bottom end..It's my cd's that i ripped, even though they are all converted to 320kbs, most of them have no bottom end. I'm wondering why i have to keep turning up the bass on my eq and the sub gain all the way up. It has to be the encoder programs i'm using. Pretty sure it's itunes which i used for most of them lately which is giving crappy recordings. i went through my cds today and one of them really hits deep and low and i have to bring all the bass down again. Going to start using windows media player again and see if it's the better one. Maybe i'll try dbpoweramp again too. Probably helped pushing the old orion over the edge too lol, sending a dirty signal to it trying to get good bass from crappy mp3 recordings.

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

so your cerwin vega is pounding good now? how is it compared to your cvr's before?

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Well, I'm only running 160 watts or so to it, my backup amp lol, you beleive it's doing 1 ohm haha.but my sub gain is at like -4 and my bass on my eq is down below half now, lots of room and it rattles my rear view mirror pretty good. What a difference, i couldn't understand what the hell was happening lol. It is itunes making the crap recordings, just checked the id tags. My next cd will be with dbpoweramp.
    My power steering pump is leaking pretty good, i have no steering and i'm tired of refilling it lol. Will try and get that fixed tommorow then i have some 0 guage to use up maybe this weekend. Probably won't get my hifonics until monday or tuesday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i have never had a prob with i tunes music.

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

You need a high end system to tell haha hehe

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Seriously though it's like night and day, i have like 6 cds all sound the same no bottom end, all done with itunes and then 1 cd pounds and i have to turn all the bass down. I'm going to go back to 20 songs on a cd screw it. Burn them as wave from now on. It's easier on the system.

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I still don't know what software to use to get my mp3's up to 320kbs

10. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

most software that uses the latest LAME(LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder - funny i know but trust me its good.) encoder would be good. i just use winamp with a LAME plugin.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i'm really dense when it comes to stuff like that. I've downloaded LAME how do you plug it in with winamp?

12. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

:lol: ha ha .no really tho could it be a setting on the computer?

i have a few of my bass cd's in my ipod and they sound just as good as the original. some i had to do cause my sub would cause my cd player to skip.:eek:

13. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

you also have to look into the quality of the song to begin with.

14. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I have the one cd in my car now, will see what it was ripped with, but i'm just going to go back to letting nero convert it back to wave files and have 20 or so songs on a cd. No need to put any extra stress on my system by having to turn up bass to make up for what's missing. This systems gonna last and pound like never before!!!! lol or else total destruction will be imminent!!

ccullen you should be able to install plugins through winamps menu at the top, under file i think or properties.

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ya that's true too, well all are 128kbs to start but have gotten that way by different encoders so there will be differences. But converting back to wave files will get the best possible results back. The quality is like 1400-1600 kbs almost cd quality. I will get 20 or so songs instead of 70 on a cd.

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

My rack and pinion is leaking big time was quoted $500.00 to fix it haha, it just keeps getting better with me!! I try to get ahead and i get kicked down to the bottom again.lol grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr