Upgrading to a powerful system (1500+ watts)

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by eazy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. eazy

eazy Full Member

I think I'm just gunna go with 2 Fi SSD12's...

5 cubes @ 33 Hz

I read somewhere Fi recommends 12-16 sq. inches of port per cube... so 60-80 sq. inches of port area. I designed a single chamber box with a slot port on the left side 12.5" tall, 5.5" wide, and 25" long (68.75 sq. inches of port). It may need to be longer though. The box had a double thick baffle and all the rest of the walls were just 1 layer. It came to 5.366 cubes after sub and port displacement... but I figure I might have to make that port longer... plus brace it with like 4x4's.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

you don't need double thick all around...good bracing and a double baffle is all you'll need

3. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

yea those SSDs should do the job for ya just brace it good like azn said and im sure you will be ok

4. eazy

eazy Full Member

68.75 sq. inches of port sound good?

Azn can you check the length of a port that's 12.5" tall, 5.5" wide... and the box is 5 cubes tuned to 33 Hz.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

it would be approx. 27 inches long

6. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

cant wait to see how you set it up

7. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well I listed my 2 subs and 2 amps on facebook for $450 with the box. I also said I'd build a custom box and/or install them for a low additional cost. Hopefully someone at my school will jump on it.

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

i got a face book...befriend me!!!

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

whats facebook?

10. danracer

danracer Full Member

facebook is like a myspace but a lot better

11. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well I only had the listing up for like 2 hours and I've already got someone wanting the subs and amps saying $450 was a great deal... score. Now I'll just get the kid to have me install it for another $50-100.

12. eazy

eazy Full Member

Alright now I got another kid who just wants the subs. I'm liking this facebook marketplace thing...

13. eazy

eazy Full Member

What do you guys think I should list my 2 amps and 2 subs for? Circuit City charges $300 per amp and $150 per sub... but I think they used to have a 2 sub for $150 deal. I'm only listing them at my high school. The amps and subs are in excellent condition... no scratches or dents. I raised the listing from $450 to $550... just curious what happens.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  14. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I'd try $650 or $700.00, you'd be surprised lol, push the custom computer designed box part and you will get it.

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

or the ME designed box hehe

16. eazy

eazy Full Member

Okay so the kid who wanted to buy it for $450 was like what the hell when I raised the price to $550 lol. He asked if I could sell it to him for $450 because that's what he saw first. I said sorry $550 is as low as I can go... and he said alright it's still a good deal anyway. He said as soon as he has the money he'll let me know. The box is an additional $50.

The amp I want is $450, the 2 subs together are $378... so $828... then I need 1/0 gauge, a second battery, relays for the battery, and to build a box. I was thinking Knukonceptz Kolossus Kable (5145 strands) and one of the SPL guys recommended an Odyssey 1500 or 1700 battery.

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Odyssey batteries are good...that Kolossus Kable is huge

18. eazy

eazy Full Member

Do you know how they compare in price to say a yellowtop?

19. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

well online i found the yellow top for roughly 180 bucks while the Odyssey 1500 for roughly 250

the yellow top will do perfectly fine for one 1500D

price difference is about 70 bucks...to me i'd get the yellow top....it'll do the job just fine

20. eazy

eazy Full Member

Well I still haven't decided if I want to sell my equipment yet. I have 3 people interested. The price right now is $550 for the 2 subs, 2 amps, and I might charge a little bit more for the box.

I can't decide what to do...

If I got 2 Fi SSD12's, a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D, an Optima Yellowtop battery, 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz Kolossus Kable, battery relays, and the supplies for the box, I'm looking at like $1,200-$1,300.

Do you guys have any other system ideas that would be louder than my 2 CVR12's but more cost effective?