two CVX12-4 for Explorer

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by narizon, Aug 24, 2009.

1. narizon

narizon Full Member

Just measured & actually have 41" wide.Woofers are Kicker CVX12.This site is pure knowledge,I'm loving it.
    Thanks Bill

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I remember AZN built a box once at 41 and he said it was a real tight fit, so lets go with 40 to be in the safe side.

You mentioned a stroller, so lets not get crazy on size. So our outside measurements will need to be around 40-inches wide, 15-1/2-inches tall and 18-inches deep. This should be plenty of volume for the two woofers

The port will be 14-inches tall and 3-inches wide. The length of the port needs to be 13-inches long. This should get us a really loud deep bass. Now if you want a more symmetric look, you can put a port on each side of the box. Just cut the width in half. In other words, for two ports they will be 14-inches tall and 1-1/2-inches wide and they will both be 13-inches long.

Please refer to this thread for building a box with a port
    http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7031

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

excellent write up. good read.

4. narizon

narizon Full Member

:D Wow,I'm glad I joined the forum.Thanks for all your help & patience for new members like me who are new car audio.I'll be putting 45 degree angles on all inside corners and go for a single port behind driver side facing rear,woofers up.
    Two more ?'s #1 What size staples should I use for the 3/4" board? #2 Can i use any wood paint/primer for the port? I'd like to have the port gloss white.:D

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Both the woofers and the port should face to the rear. It really makes a big difference in the sound. I personally would screw the wood together. I only used staples to hold it together temporarely.

Yes you can paint the port. With MDF, use a primer.

6. narizon

narizon Full Member

Thanks for the correction on the box.Will build it that way.Was just asking about the staple length for temp use also.The staples act like a third or even fourth hand.I went through my storage & only found 1" & 1 1/2".Was thinking they might be 3/4".