Twin Towers BUILD LOG

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by kryptonitewhite, Mar 1, 2010.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

I have some custom subs coming, so I'll most likely be scratching the 6 IB3's in the Two Towers. When I get the custom subs for the van and HT and swap them out, I'll add more bracing to the towers. You can see the enclosure flex.

ya ya, I know, for about 6 months strait I posted several posts every single day on several different forums, and every day I was "given advice". So out of 30 pieces of advice every single day for 6 months... 5400 pieces of advice ( not even exaggerating if that is how you spell the word )one piece of advice I disagreed with, I ate my words on. So I tried to be a man to admit I was wrong, but it was acceptable to throw it in my face and say I'm an idiot that doesnt know what I am doing, and now that 1 piece of advice proved true, the other 5399 ideas were right too and I was wrong for ignoring those as well.

Anyway, Bassotronics has a new kick ass track out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4H4M64Hf4g

enjoy

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

what you gonne do with the good ib3s?

3. kryptonitewhite

Ill sell the 2 good ones for $200 each and the blown ones for $100 each. If I cant sell the blown ones, I'll recone them and sell them for $220 each.

4. kryptonitewhite

A lot of people like the giant 12" ports on the HT's, so here is a link to the VAN's 20" port.

4 IB3 18's, 60 cubic feet, 20" diameter port 18.5" long for a 21Hz tune, 14kW on tap.

DBAudio made me this track. It is 19Hz-13Hz sweeps. As you see in the vid, some of the sunflower seeds were pulled strait back to the rear of the wall, and then blown strait up to the front dash. No arch, not lobbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOUqlC2BlG4

5. kryptonitewhite

if youre interested in them, I'll sell you all four blown subs for $350. 4 recones sent here is $390 shipped and 3oz Fi CA glue is another $20.

Thats $760 total. You could run all four, or, put 2 in HT, or sell the other 2...go in on them with someone else.

Id help you recone them.

6. kryptonitewhite

Now that the HT build and the VAN builds are complete, it's time for touch-ups and clean up. Painting the house, every wall a different color, each tower a different color, started with the bed/bleechers today. The towers will wait till the custom subs are done and I add bracing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

love shack. :)

8. kryptonitewhite

had a big thunderstorm, I got a bolt with the camera then played thunder rolls, cuz the stereo playing lightening is several times louder than lightening only 2-4 miles away

2 IB3 18's in ten cubic feet tuned to 35Hz off an EP4000 @ 4ohms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ9bF00WqC4

9. kryptonitewhite

people come from all over town to see the van and the HT, one guy offered me an hourly rate to borrow the love shack!

10. kryptonitewhite

the two 18's by themselves are pretty impressive. I'd love to have upgraded to the IB3 22's when they came out under the impression that I'd double my displacement, but I was wrong about that. Before I start sticking some 2"x4"s in them I have to consider whether I'll be cutting them 16.5's out to 20.5's, or if I'll be adding 2 more 16.5's per box, or, sticking with what I have. I think I could be happy with what I have...they're amazing... but double the displacement for some headroom would be better. Simply getting 2 more IB3s, 1 per box, would be ideal...but would look stupid. 3 is a lot more $$$ than I planned and a weird ohm load. Owell, gotta keep on movin.

not finished painting by any means, but got a coat or 2 on for now, will do more after i ding and scratch them up throwing 2x4s and myself in and out of there

[​IMG]

this box is FUN! I'm gonna hook 1 EP4000 to each sub for a while...see if I cant break my house with it.

[​IMG]

gettn ready to add some bracing to the towers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

routered the front of the amp rack/entertainment center. everything is VERY sloppy, the way I like it, it's my signature mark for everything I build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jonnyv713

Hey man! I havent talked/seen you for a while. My front stage is taking a **** on me so I am redoing everything. 4 12s is coming out and im doing 2 10s in a 4th order. Its gonna be sick too. It will sound better though. And I am doing an all new front stage too. I will be down sometime though!

12. kryptonitewhite

Glad to hear from you John! Been kinda woderin where you been. Its been real slow and quiet here anyway, been hiding inside for over a month and poppin out here and there. Have things going though in a month or so...will take a while! There's a rockford sponcored van here in town that has like 12 15" HX2's and over 20 amps...but mines twice as loud! WTF?!

13. jonnyv713

are you serious?! HX2s are beats man! D2s and 1000RMS. Crazy ass 12s! whats the situation with your subs?

14. kryptonitewhite

I think some of the subs/amps are blown, I told the guy's wife twice..but they swear theyre not...whatever...sounds like ****! I used to LOVE HX2s and even HE2s! Still badass speakers to whats out today!

Waiting on $$$$ for recones. This dude wants $500 for the dual alt bracket w/pulleys.. **** that... so IDK...

15. kryptonitewhite

is 75% close to 100%? Is 3 quarters close to a dollar? Is 3/4 close to 1? Is 42mm just a hair more, shortly after, 30mm? I remember way back when Adire Audio and RE Audio were IT. Brahma's and XXXs. The standard 12-spoke basket with standard 8" spider and standard 3.5" p-p 1/2 roll surround. The Brahma, Tumult, Ascendant Audio Avalanche, XXX, SX, SE, RE, prolly the Magnum and TREO and everything...all seemed to have about 31mm-33mm Xmech. Everything did. So when I heard the IB3 had a 30mm Xmax and Xmech was just a little bit past that, I thought "OK, so the IB3 has a 31mm-33mm Xmech". So When I hear the 22" will have 96% of the Vd of two IB3 18's, and a 38mm Xmax, I think " So the 18 has 30mm Xmax and 33mm Xmech, and the 22 has a 38mm Xmax and probably a 39mm-42mm Xmech, that makes the 22" cone displace the same as two 18's...sweet"

ugh anyway... as you can see, still have a LOT of work ahead, but works getting done, progress is being made. I'm at a standstill on what to do for subs... keep it as it is and be happy? Get 2 more and have 4 IB3's... same Vd as planned? I don't know. I'm losin sleep over this? LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Audiohazzard

Audiohazzard New Member

Get 2 more and have 4 IB3's.

So any progress on the build man? Did you go with two more IB3's? If so how did it turn out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

17. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

ok then

WOW

I see some boom boom in the bedroom....

post pics plz

that is all! lol!

18. jonnyv713

Ya this is sick haha. I heard it. Its crazy how the whole house breathes(sp?)

19. kryptonitewhite

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231247&page=11

So my lady wants me to build some ugly stairs to go with the ugly clown room, and I wanted to test the Towers to see how much of the flex is pressure VS driver vibration... if it's mostly pressure and I need to brace all 6 sides, I need a minimum of 40 2"x4"s, 8 front to back each, 8 side to side each, 4 center to top each. But I put some white stickers in diff spots to see if it was the same flex all over or just by the driver. Lucky me! 24Hz is where it is worst, but a few Hz in each direction and flex is minimal.

Took the drivers out of the 10 cube box, put them back in the towers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill most likely put the 2nd driver's on the inside top

[​IMG]

otherwise outside top

[​IMG]

here's the vibration vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbF-8Xkp29I

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1-cKhMc_Vk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zImk1VDAXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl7AaWfVmjM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my camera sucks, trying to clean it with rubbing alcohol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course speaker placement changes everything, I knew that, but my initial plan was ordering six 21" Maelstrom-X's and 14 Anarchy's, doing seven MTMs for 7.1 surround. To get me buy until then I was just gonna use those cheap walmart cubes, but they work surprisingly well and I just can't afford better for now. They are HIDEOUS and one has a bad stain, so I tuked them back into the entertainment center to hide them. Well with the added two 18's my substage SQ went way up, so Ive been doing more critical listening (sure those cubes are as bad as it can get, but the receiver sure milks them for what they're worth) and I just couldnt take the "tunnel vision" from them being 3' deep between the towers.

I brought them out, real ugly I know, but OMFG! I had to back things down 2dB off the batt, but even my woman looked at me right away like "wow, did that really just happen? Did that really change things that much?" Cuz now it's actually surround, not mono muffled :D

The surrounds faced forward, were hard to hear, now theyre standing out like they should.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats silly string all over, the black lights and colored lights light it up... looks cool in person, dirty in pics

so 2 of my gaskets were warped from sitting outside and were rubbing the surrounds so I took em off. I get the new 4 any day now, Ill put the new ones in the HT and use these in the van. built shelves to set stuff on on the sides of the bleechers. wish I couldda got the crackhead to help with that back during summer, much better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

speaker placement means everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got the four 18's today for the VAN, decided to put them in the towers cuz I am getting serious buzzing I hope the new gaskets will cure, and my reconing job was as pretty as my speaker stands :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jonnyv713

Well, I coulda seen all this in person today, but someone didnt answer their door or reply to me in time haha. Just messin, but I will be back up there on Thursday if the weather aint too bad, and then again after that because i got some things to get finished and then show you.