The Black Death

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by 92civicproblems, Oct 19, 2008.

1. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

yea any parts for a volvo are more than what they would be for an american car... i found a deal for a 200 amp alt for mine only 150 new and its straight plug and play... but wont have it for awhile... and i will be using all 0g if I have a job soon. dont want an extra battery cause dont want more weight other than the amp and sub/subs in box... and speakers arent a big thing... yea mtx's can a take a beating... my brother had these tens running off a 1000/1 each for a couple weeks and they took it like nothing.
    idk if I should have toooo much boom it might make my car fall apart. lol

2. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

alright i want to wire up my headunit tomorrow if I find it early in the morning... so I need some help finding something to help me wire it... mustang forum guys dont help. but I at least want some music when im driving. because idk if my electrical can support 400 watts... even though my brother used to run like 600 in his 66. any help would be nice thanks guys.

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

in a 64.5 stang i really don't know man. I'd wire everything up with all new wires if i were you which won't be that hard to do. Since your alt isn't that great, i would do the big 3 immediately. then make a new power line for the headunit, you won't have any problems finding a ground in the mustang cuz it's mostly all metal. Then you just run all new speaker wires for your speakers in the doors (if you have) and to the rear speakers on the rear deck. What speakers do you have there now?

where do you plan to put the head unit? Are you just going to trash the original stereo? wouldn't you have to do some cutting to make that fit? if i remember correctly, the mustangs of that year, the stereos are with the knobs and it ain't one big hole for the stereo. Are you planning to do some cutting???

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i think there is an under dash kit that can be found. then like CC said run all new wires. i dont see why you cant run a 400 watt system in there. just beef up the cables and maybe a beefy batt if you dont already have one.

my friend has a 2003 neon with stock alt, no big 3 and has 7 batts wired to it. so im sure with a big 3 and large batt it can be done.

5. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

oh I know I am going to run its own power from the battery to the headunit and a there is plenty of spots for me to put a ground. just gotta figure out where to find the switched power line where it wont interfere with anything else. well my alt is a brand new 65amp one and the cables look like 2g. and I have the biggest duralast gold battery. there are no existing speaker wires... no door speakers. only the dash with an option for a 4x10 or two 4in speakers. and in the rear deck I can put 6x9's but I have a set of pioneer premier 6.5 coaxials.

I have an original radio in the stock place so the new headunit is going in the glove box... so no cutting for me.

6. pedro quiroga

simple kicks then.

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Glovebox? That's very sucky lol, you can do better than that. Got any pics of the dash? You can take a switched wire that's hooked to the ignition to turn stuff on and off. If you have a voltmeter it's very easy to find, there should be one hooked to the original deck too. Don't use the factory ground wires or factory power if you can help it.

8. pedro quiroga

9. pedro quiroga

10. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

well I want it in the glove box because enough people check out my car already.. and if they see the headunit just chillin there it will be gone in no time... my interior is just like that white one... because I dont have the kicks like the red one... didnt find the headunit today... dont know where it ended out when we moved... electro the original stereo wiring is gone... so cant use the switched power it used... but I will check for another tomorrow. I got the leak fixed but I gotta check the fluid again... cleaned out the carb and it feels gooood. used more than half the bottle til it was flawless.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Electro, glovebox makes sense, there isn't much space to play with without it being clearly seen. that's how we had our stereo installed in our '66. just droped it in the glove box but we still did some cutting to mount it properly.

The idea about making kicks for front speakers is a good idea. If i remember correctly, you don't have any space in the door panels to put speakers and you don't want to hack the doors up to put speakers in a classic car like that.

Watch out for the 6x9's in the rear, you should make an enclosure for them cuz once you put the subs in those speakers will blow. I know you know that but just a friendly reminder.

good to hear that the leak is fixed already and the car is a lot smoother.

12. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

yea im going to try to make some brackets to have it hanging in there... open when driving so that it will pick up the remote and closed when i park anywhere.
    there is no room whatsoever to put any speakers in the kick panel unless I make something for it... and i wouldnt consider cutting the doors for sound.
    im actually going to use the 6.5's in the rear deck and buying baffles for them. even though there is a huge opening behind the backseat.
    ohhh it runs alot smoother... I almost thought it was off after a good drive but I know its not cause its loud.

13. pedro quiroga

ewww an IB set up in there would rock then. i saw one on the car domain site with 4 8's in the trunk.

14. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

IB set up maybe... I got one 15in that can handle alot of power in IB and two others made by FI that might work better off of 200 watts each... but how do I seal off the trunk? it would be alot easier than making a box.

15. pedro quiroga

16. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

okay I know this is old... but a new problem... I have a new edelbrock carb... its perfectly tuned and everything. runs smooth. but when I am going it doesnt smoke but will once I stop but then it will stop and smoke while I drive its white smoke and my oil looks fine... where else could I check for a cracked head gasket?

17. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Your valve seals may be bad. I advise you take a look at them. My Jag did that with the 350 Chevy in it and i just put some new umbrella seals on the valves and it was all good.

18. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

yea we thought that but the mech we know say its probably the head gaskets.

19. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

not head gaskets probably the valve seals... so valve job or new heads would do the job right?

20. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

ya, this may gove you a good excuse to upgrade if u want! :) but otherwise i think the right way to fix it would be a valve job.