Tc Sounds To The Rescue!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 30, 2003.

1. trifle

trifle Full Member

At this point I will just smile and nod and wish I knew what in the hell you guys were talking about. I understand what is being said, I just don't understand what all of it is....no need to explain, I'll learn with due time...hopefully...

But yeah great to have you here Bill..I've been learning a lot on CAT lately...not a lot of posts but that's changing, but some smart people for sure

2. mustatang

mustatang Full Member

Bill,

So you followed the link from HTF. Glad you could make it, welcome.

Brian Tatnall

3. Bill F.

Bill F. Full Member

Brian,

Yeah, thanks for the link!

Trifle,

'Preciate the welcome, good to find a group of like-minded folks.

Geolemon,

Interesting to hear my FEA modeling is confirmed by real-life DUMAX. It was eye-opening to see what a big BL difference subtle coil-length changes make with XBL. What's your product line?

Aside from some recent work I've done on a new motor design for a certain marqee you'd all recognize, I am just a transducer engineering enthusiast. I've got a pile of concepts I've worked up--dynamic line source, wide-range, dome, horn, etc, and of course, extreme-displacement bass :) Most of my energy goes toward new types of topologies and suspensions, so most of my stuff is ground-up designed and looks pretty unique. My dream is to eventually file a few patents, bring these ideas to market, quit my current day job, and get into the audio industry. Until then, it's all an after-hours thing.

Cheers y'all,

Bill

4. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Wow! You own your own FEA program just for your hobby? I definitely admire the dedication. That is one expensive, but very helpful purchase.

I can see you and I have similar interests. I'm sure by my PM and the long thread of us trying to decifer XBL2 that you have seen some of my hopefully unique ideas whether they work or not.

It's definitely nice to have you here.

5. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Very interesting...

nice to see u around here!

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Bill.... not a current model line, but rather an Upcoming model line... ;)

We're a new enthusiast-based, forum-focused direct-sale company, Better Audio.
    We've been working on some products for almost a year now... some of which are going to be XBL2-enabled. We've been keeping quiet which ones... ;)
    And our designs have evolved over that time, so it just hasn't made sense to talk really. B)

We're finally in the stages where we've gotten production feasibility confirmed with our buildhouses, and even some proprietary technologies underway... we're finally close to getting at least the "easy" stuff going, like our entry-level line.

But it was just a couple guys with the same geek-level fascinations with the architectures and physics behind the scenes that were motivated to dive in and start playing with it. :detective:
    I'm surprised that with your level of interest - and understanding - that you aren't doing something similar, that's all. ;)

7. Bill F.

Bill F. Full Member

Way to go! I look forward to seeing your stuff.

The only thing holding me back from a similar track is my ignorance of the business and legal end of things. If I could hook up with an experienced entrepreneur, I'd be off and running, too. I'm slowly educating myself in those things, but my love of the technical side gets in the way. :blush:

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No shame in that Bill.

I think you will be a most valuable addition to our little crew. Thanks for joining us here at CAF :yes:

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I share your sentiments! :lol:
    Actually, we had a nice "limited release" amp that sold out quickly (the "limited" part wasn't exactly our intention), that we were able to release early on because it wasn't much effort on our part..

But anyway, the way I look at it is just like anything else in life...
    You don't have the experience doing it, until you just suck it up and do it...
    I don't have any real serious business experience either.. my life thus far has been in the IT division of some larger corporations.

Now, I have some optimism that entrepreneurialship (hey, I can make up words just as well as anyone else..:lol: ) runs in my family.. my great grandfather and grandfather both founded and ran what turned into rather large and successful companies in Buffalo, NY. My own father ran a small music business for 45 years, and still teaches lessons privately for his own enjoyment.

It's the pursuit of the kind of satisfaction that I observe in my own father - watching him technically retire... yet still continue to do the thing that he loves to do - which was the same thing that he made a living doing (meager as his really was) for over 45 years. He is far from a rich man in monetary terms... but if you could see the overwhelming friendships and happiness he has, you'd be envious also. B)
    He's my benchmark... I definitely think that if you see the opportunity to pursue a career doing something you love, rather than something you tolerate, you should pursue it. I'm definitely learning that more every day.

Prior to (and possibly returning back to, for a short time, to keep the bills paid as we ramp up to speed) working on Better Audio, I had a relatively well paying job as a Database Administrator (DBA), on a fairly broad number of platforms.
    But, while interesting, it's something that I tolerated to pay the bills, rather than truly enjoyed.

This is something that I enjoy... because I've got the same technical interests, and honestly the business, marketing, and distribution side is something that's very interesting also... because it does in many ways tie to the technical side...
    After all, you are designing a product (the "technical side") for a particular application - or, I should say, a particular "demographic". ;)...
    Do you understand that demographic? Do you know what they want, what they are going to use it for, potentially some "why's", etc? Of course, that's just understanding what the particular "technical" thing is good for.

Largely, the business side follows...
    If you really do understand that demographic...
    The "thing" you are designing, who you are designing it for, or what application you know it to be best in...
    The business, marketing, and distribution side follows that naturally!
    It's just the "are they concerned about price more than quality, or vice versa.. and would they pay for it?" side...
    The "How do we appeal to these potential customers out there?" side...
    And then the "How do we actually sell and ship this stuff to them?" side.

Really, don't be intimidated... you probably inherently already know more about your "potential customers" than any traditional businessman would. B)

I'd love to chat with you someday, but I fear for my phone bill... we've probably got too much in common, and I don't shut up. Just ask Seth (Sandt38). :bag:
    :D

10. trifle

trifle Full Member

if your phone convos are anything like your posts.... :yes:

j/k man...

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hey, I'm not arguing with you... :lol:

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

if your phone convos are anything like your posts.... :yes:

j/k man... [/b][/quote]
    Shoot, when Chris and I get on the phone, my battery going dead is the only reason we hang up :p

13. Bill F.

Bill F. Full Member

[/QUOTE]You don't have the experience doing it, until you just suck it up and do it...

14. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Just trying to make this the new beast. :D

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

You don't have the experience doing it, until you just suck it up and do it...
    Well, if you like, I would love to talk with you about your ideas-
    I'll sign an NDA if you are concerned about my making off with them. B)

But my thoughts are more along those "symbiotic" lines that I try to set up; I was thinking that if they were really great ideas, I just might want to use them, and it might be something we could work out between us, for both of our gain.
    (I trust "greed" isn't your motivating driver.. :p...I'm sure something fair could be had)

If it was something that you were looking to patent, we might be able to work something similar out.. I've got an idea or two that our company may be looking down the patent road also.
    Just a thought.

Worst case, we talk about your ideas, you tell me you don't want us to impliment them, you don't want to patent or pursue them - at least I had the benefit of stepping into your shoes, borrowing your train of thought for a moment in time.
    Always good to broaden the horizons. B)