Tc Sounds To The Rescue!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 30, 2003.

1. black00

black00 Full Member

:D CES Will be the WANG POUND capitol of the world while i'm there.... Toys so big and so cool in the booth....i'm gonna strip nekkid and roll around on them...

:ranting: and NOBODY WILL STOP ME!!!!!

2. black00

black00 Full Member

question...i have read the white pagges on XBL^2....when i read into that term...i automatically think dual gap technology

i believe XBL^2 has perfected that motor technology

from my understanding ...the new motor will be a form of dual-gap...of course....it may be misinformation givin to me

if this info is correct....then i do not see the TC motor talked about above being the same motor i am talking about [/b][/quote]
    http://www.tcsounds.com/Images/LM_news.pdf

this is what everybody else is talkin about.....

Dunno what you talkin about....

and DualGapGeometry came out well after XLB2...adire never gave any explaination for the design until parts recently released.... But that doesn't make it less senior to DGG.

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

I so wish the XBL2 patent would finally go through. Then there would be no more confusion.

4. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

um, that might hurt a bit..... depending on the type of toys you're into..... ouch

5. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Well, all our original design notes - and the patent application itself - reference split gap. You see, our approach can do more than just 2 gaps, and there are benefits to going to more than 2...;) But XBL^2 is a descriptor of what it does, not how it does it. Split Gap is the topology, XBL^2 is the technology/benefit.

As far as the TC Sounds unit shown, it is a very long overhung voice coil, with extra windings out on the end. In other words, in the center of the VC it's a 2 layer unit. Then you go out towards the end, and it's a 4 layer. Then go out to the very ends, and it's a 6 layer (or effectively like that). It does give you a flat BL curve, however there are LOTS of drawbacks (enumerated above). And of course, you need to make your gap wide enough to account for the widest part of the voice coil, too...

That is why the BL is so low with so much magnet and voice coil out there - wide gap, and probably some copper shorting rings (a la the MASS units) to lower the inductance to an acceptable level, but again that widens the gap and lowers the BL...

For comparison, the Brahma has 25% MORE BL with less than 1/3rd as long of a voice coil (Estimating the displayed unit has a VC that is 3.25" long). The XXX has 50% more BL, with less than half the voice coil length.

Extreme overhung designs are inherently BL inefficient. To get decent BL you sacrifice a LOT of moving mass (added) and inductance (added). JL addressed the problems with extreme overhungs in their own way, but they still have low BLs as well (2 layer voice coil to keep inductance and moving mass in check).

Now as far as stroke goes, what about this graph (measured on our BL jig):

[​IMG]

Yes, I truncated the measurements at 3" each way (6" peak to peak - I don't want to give the true limits out yet), and yes the BL is over 32 N/A over that entire range. It's just one of the medium throw units we have kicking around here (yes, at this point, 6" is medium throw - 2" is short throw).

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

6. black00

black00 Full Member

<sits down and thanks GOD for the toys I am about to play with>

:D TOYS TOYS TOYS TOYS TOYS TOYS TOYS!!!!!!

:lol: i dont ever wanna grow up....

:lmfao: medium stroke............... :blink: if you only knew what i knew fellas...

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Dan, I see mention of split gap being used in multiples rather than a single split gap. I think the implications are obvious, and I have even wondered why we weren't seeing that in use yet. Now, aside from basket issues (as I see the obvious benefits will be hindered by the basket and suspensions that are not custom, and may not be readily available to you ;) ) I see another problem arising. (If I am overstepping my boundaries here in public, I will eliminate this post and be glad to discuss it with you in private).

I will state the concerns here in an above the layperson form, in case I am asking too much publicly, but I think you will understand what I am getting at. My thoughts are the increase in inductance because of the required coil length, as well as added weight. In my assumptions of where this was going, and what the possibilities were of the split gap, I kept running into these walls. Maybe it is possible for a fairly short coil to travel this far, but I am having some issue visualising it. Also controll of flux in such a deep motor seems somewhat daunting to me. The other thing, with regaurds to weight, is that weather or not this beast can be driven with a fairly short coil you will still need to center it in the gap rather deeply. This will obviously add weight and may screw with FS. I assume stiffening the suspension may help some, but then my concern is KMS illinearity. I think it is obvious that what the Brahma accomplishes through BL and KMS linearities may be somewhat compromized.

Can you shed some light on this for me? Again, if I am overstepping my boundaries, or compromising your work, I will eliminate this post.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

As far as the TC Sounds design, it almost appears in the link Marshall added that the uppermost layer on the coil is designed NOT to enter the gap. Maybe for added controll? However inductance and weight issues lead me to question why?

9. mustatang

mustatang Full Member

With all the available options....I think I'll have to go Biggie Size for .34 extra.

10. trifle

trifle Full Member

Thanks a lot for the explanation Mr. Wiggins. Makes perfect sense to me although I wouldn't have been able to come up with those reasons on my own, still learning :rolleyes:

And for another question, since they can't really use XBL^2 to achieve the linearity, is their solution effective, or do you think that there would be a solution more effective for them without stepping into XBL^2 boundaries? I know that motor design is a huge issue in any speaker project, so you don't have to go giving anything out, I'm just curious. Just asking if you think it could be the "next best thing" type of deal.

And I can't wait to hear about the new long throws...wish I could get into CES.

Speaking of rumors and long throws I remember hearing something about 54mm 1-way excursion on a speaker, does anyone know what I'm talking about, I don't remember much else so I know that's not much help, but I'm just now recalling something about it.

Anyways, thanks Dan and everyone else, I love topics like this.

11. black00

black00 Full Member

I think 3 inches is like 76mm unless i hit the calculator wrong. :D stay with us man.. past up the 50's mark a while back.....

12. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

lol.... he's talking about a 4" speaker.....

:D

13. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Hey Seth. I'm not 100% sure you are understanding how XBL2 works. Let's say you took the Brahma and added anther tear to the design. Now it has two gaps, and three faces. You can use the exact same coil length and gain 2/3 more excursion. The coil doesn't have to be any longer at all to accomplish this.

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I understand it Steven, try rereading it ;). Basically...

The concern is 2 fold steven... submersing the short coil in the gap appropriately, and stray flux controll ;) ...

15. trifle

trifle Full Member

I think 3 inches is like 76mm unless i hit the calculator wrong. :D stay with us man.. past up the 50's mark a while back..... [/b][/quote]
    how in the hell did i get 2 keys over from my intended target???? i meant ~74....

thanks for the clarification...

but I will admit to have been out of the game for awhile as well

i heard something about a new adire mid elsewhere too... ~shrugs~

16. Bill F.

Bill F. Full Member

For all youz who are a little fogged on exactly what and why XBL2 is, check U.S. patent application 20030133587.

Bill

17. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

wow :jawdrop:

18. mustatang

mustatang Full Member

Hum...the images pages won't work...quicktime is messing something up....someone want to host them?

19. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

true dat bro :)

20. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member