Subzero Brahma Subwoofer Boxes

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Honest Bob, May 13, 2004.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I know I was talking a vented enclosure for the Brahma 10"s I have on the way, but I was wondering how Subzero's dual 10" sealed box would sound. It looks like they took the middle of the road for what Adire recommends. Just wondering what kind of sound its going to produce.

http://www.subzeromfg.com/aseries.htm

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I don't want to comment on how it sounds...
    But I remember this enclosure, and I'm impressed every time I see it.
    I've never seen a prefab enclosure that looks like it's built like a tank before these guys. ;)

Take "what manufacturers recommend" with a grain of salt.
    Manufacturers want their enclosures to look to the consumer like "small box subs".
    Also, if enthusiasts actually use the subwoofer in a "small box", there's less risk of damaging the sub due to overexcursion.
    Adire is smart in that they do publish their powerhandling specs in the form of a chart - how much power the sub can handle given a certain enclosure volume. ;)
    Having newbie-type enthusiasts putting the sub in the bare-minimum size spec enclosure is MUCH safer than having newbie enthusiasts put the sub in a big box.

But enthusiasts know that the larger the enclosure they put the sub in, the more efficient the sub becomes - the less power is actually required to bring the sub to full excursion.
    Not to mention, the larger the enclosure you put the sub in, the lower it'll extend in terms of frequency response - and it even yields better SQ - better damping.
    So if this enclosure is larger than the Adire "minimum spec" box, then that's a good thing, in my book. ;)

3. Jeffc879

Jeffc879 Full Member

if its right in the middle it will sound decent. its a high quality sealed box with a high quality sub the sq will be good. the motor bracing will cause the drivers to have less bad resonance and less flex. that box looks pretty dang good for a factory built. it is specifically built for an adire product so they arent gonna just build a piece of junk and send it to you. it will be a great box so good luck

4. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

I absolutely agree with everything said, and it has been my experience that almost all subs will perform better when you give them room to "breathe". (except for cerwin vegas, not that they matter much anymore, but they had huge magnets and almost no excursion). My setup now is a 19 cu foot ported box (1" mdf, and four inner baffle plates for bracing as well as motor braces) for two 15" tempests, and I was impressed at how well they would perform with almost no power. I tested the setup with one 200w kenwood amp for each sub, bridged to mono (we all know that we're talking less than 80w per channel true rms) But it was unreal how well they performed, being so vastly underpowered. Now I use a jbl 1201.1, and it hurts my back and rattles neighboring structures, and I don't have hardly any money in the whole setup. and I hate this new trend of every new sub being 4000w power handling and every new amp being "rated" at 6000w, and every sub box being .7 cu foot. I think that it's just a ploy to try and get people to buy new equipmet every year (but that's my paranoid conspiracy!) go to a competition and tell me how many lunch box sized enclosures you see win trophies. you gotta let em breathe. I never go by what the manufacturer reccommends (unless it's adire.. those guys are pioneers, and they are honest about what they make.... too bad they like home audio so much, I think they'd be appreciated by us mobile audio dudes). There is a wonderful formula that you can use to tell how much room your subs really need, you just need detailed specs.. if anyone wants it, I will be happy to post it., but I firmly beleive that the box means more to a system than the speakers themselves. I can make cheap subs sound great in the right box, (I do it all the time) and they will almost always out perform high end subs in the wrong box. okay, what were we talking about?:huh: - sorry about the rant..

Ps.. although, the cheap subs will usually fry before the high enders get tired of beating stale air

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006