sub and box matching

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by jgilk1, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member

ok so i have a 1976 chevy luv project (1970s toyota sized single cab truck) with a bench seat

maximum room i have for the exterior of the box is roughly 41" x 17" x 7" d1 x 2" d2 with a tranny tunnel in the middle that measures 7" wide at the bottom and 5" tall at the highest

this gives me a box that looks similar to this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (my cad design yes)

i am planning to run a set of Pioneer TS-SW3001S4 that require a minimum of 0.5 cubic feet of air space...
    subwoofer displacement is 0.099 cubic feet

calculations are with 3/4" mdf
    my interior box volume is roughly 1.2 - 0.1418 loss of volume for the tranny tunnel =1.0582 cubic inch gives me ~ 0.5291 cubic inch per chamber with out the addition of the subwoofer or the bracing... (0.4301 with subwoofer displacement)

if i use 1/2" mdf
    im at roughly 1.45 cubic -0.1418 for the tranny tunnel -0.099 = 1.2
    =.6046 cubic feet per chamber

1/2"mdf will provide me with enough interior volume but will it provide me with enough strength to pound out nearly 800-1000 watts rms?

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

My opinion, remove the center divider. You'll be fine.

That is an excelent woofer and I've had very good luck with them. As far as 1/2-inch MDF, not a good idea. Can you use 5/8-inch everywhere except the baffle board? Then use 3/4-inch for the baffle (front board). Then a little acoustic fill in the box and everything should work well.

3. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member

thanks ranger the thought of 5/8 had never crossed my mind hahaha i feel like an idiot now hahaha

i am currently running a single pioneer 10" in a box that has an air leak... and im suprised after 2 months of running it like this i havent blown the sub... lol

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member

ok probably not the proper people to be asking this question but i really dont feel that going sub 3/4" mdf is going to provide me with the space i need to run 2 12" sub woofers minimum listed is .5 cubic inch per sub and efficency is .62 cubic inch and max is 1 cubic foot (this is per sub listed by pioneer)

if i went with 3/4" mdf this would be 1.0582 cubic inch of total air volume inside the box with out bracing or separation of the chambers now then the question is if i mounted both subwoofers in this box it would reduce the overall space in the box below what pioneer says is efficient...

and knowing that a subwoofer works by compressing the air inside the box... if i ran both subs @ double the rms rating on an under sized box (out of phase one pushing one pulling) would i be able to efficiently run them with an under sized box? (instead of running them both with 900wrms running them at double the rated power at like 1800wrms) you get the idea?

running the subs at 450-500rms the subwoofer will not be able to compress the air inside the box so in order to efficiently drive the subwoofer in an under sized box the subwoofer will have to push the air harder thus requiring more power........

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if you don't have enough room for two subs then why not just run one?