Speaker baffles

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by 92civicproblems, Apr 7, 2011.

1. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

Are there any speakers that are meant to go in a speaker baffle? I need to keep the speakers seperate from the spl of the sub in the trunk so I'm going to use speaker baffles. Since most speakers like this are free-air it won't be good. Are there any speakers that are meant to go into baffles? I can fit 6.5" speakers at the most.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

because of the inherit propeties of free air speakers...they work very well in smaller sealed enclosures. or baffles if you will....especially if they are not playin low freqs.... So i would imagine most any "free air" speaker will do just fine!

3. 92civicproblems

Well I did research and everyone said they don't sound as good in baffles cuz they are free-air and you are suffocating them by putting them in a small baffle lol

And what kind of low frequencies are we talking? Cuz I'm thinking of running some 6 or 6.5" speakers that cover from about 100Hz+

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

100 Hz on up would be fine....

Free air speakers have suspensions designed to let them operate in an enviorment similiar to a small enclosure. Almost everyone assumes that since a free air speaker works in a LARGE air space that it needs as much air behind it as possible...this is not true. The opposite is....

Due to the parameters, the tightness of the suspension, the voice coil, the surround...etc, these drivers dont mind a small box....the inherit design mimics that of a small box when placed in free air...

5. 92civicproblems

Alright well on that note, I'm trying to build a 5.1 surround sound system in my car. I have the subwoofer in the middle of the rear deck and now I need to add my 5 speakers. I need to get the two in the back, rear left and rear right first. I can probably fit up to 6.5" drivers. I am looking for good sound quality, what do you recommend? I don't want to spend too terribly much but I don't want cheap stuff like pioneer and what not. I do plan to run an amplifier to these guys btw. So if you want to suggest an amp with the speakers that would be great to. Thanks a lot.