Someone Please Advise

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by _gonz_, Aug 3, 2004.

1. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Well, i hate to start a new topic on this matter... but i feel its warranted, in case anyone does'nt care about the old thread lol

I need some serious advice... should i get my money back?

the straw that broke the camels back?

Relevent points (cliff notes) should that thread become deleted:

From Poseur (ICIX Senior Member)

Firstoff my pre-order was lost (Edi components)

take my car into the shop and we set my amp (a bridged tsunami 4440) so that it will putout a maximum of 120wrms at 4ohms. This is being done on a very high end bench-top multimeter by a long-time certified installer mindyou. We also set my xover from my HU at 80hz on a 24db slope and then set one at 60 on my amp jsut to be sure.

My eDi's arrive, initial listening is sorta ho hum. They're alright, I'd put them in teh category of a JL vr, but with a nicer, more musical tweeter which quite honestly kinda depressess me, but ppl have spoken of cdt's needing breaking-in, so I figure I'll just play them for ahwile and let 'em "loosen up"...

all of the sudden I hear clipping then nothing but violent fuzz...
    both of the mids blown.

I send them fast so they get there within 3 days, they recieved them a week ago and have since been back and fourthing me exclusively though their warranty-responce certificate section of the site. whatever the case inspite their quest to helpout and get all the information possible the end result is the same... apparantly 120w at 80hz is just toomuch power and thre is no way this is a warranty issue seeingas I so blatantly over-powered the speakers.

I'd ordered a gallon of edead v3 at the "groupbuy pricing" that was advertised awhile back, supposedly it was a pretty good deal and so I went for it. However when I looked at my card statement, the price I saw was substantially more. infact I'd payed $80 with shipping.... I immediately took the issue up with ben and was told I should hav ebene given the group buy pricing at $40 or whatever it was, but was told that it was already shipped and already a done deal, period.

I then bought a 60' roll of edead v1 on a special price of $60, cool i thought. So I got it, got the edead and didn't think much further, until a coupel days later when Iwent touse it and realized that I'd been shipped 2 rolls that looked exactly the same size as my previous 20' roll. SO I measured it out, and sure enough. just a tad over 20' per roll, makign it a total of 40' definately not the 60 I'd payed for, so there's another $20 I was stiffed on.

Wow, customer service? Professionalism? Honest dealings with your customers?

How come i feel a forced unlubed anal entry coming?

2. texcon

texcon Full Member

This may just be an isolated incident, but in general I would not give my business to a company that would willfully take my money and then not take the time to update me on when I will receive my product, especially after an estimated order fulfillment date has come and gone. Just a quick "Hi, we plan to get your amp to you on x-x-2004. Sorry for the delay".

I could easily find other companies to give my money for something I can have NOW. I have never owned an eD product nor personally known anyone that has owned one, but after awhile the negative posts and stories of pissed off customers add up.

I am sure you would eventually get your product, but a HUGE part of buying from a company is how they will treat you after the sale, not just up to and during the sale. I have bought from many companies and have effectively stopped buying from the ones that take my money but won't support me after the sale. That is something I think you have to ask yourself.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Isolated incident? This would be the hundredth isolated incident I know of, including things Ben has done to his "Friends".

Quality controll, customer satisfaction, responsible professional buisness practices all rolled into one... then thrown out the door.

Gonz, you know my stance.

4. texcon

texcon Full Member

What I find funny is that another eD worker, "JeremyG", has the statement "Responsibility is a dying art form" in his signature on the ICIX boards. Kind of a funny thing to have in his sig considering the problems with their current pre-order.

I read through that thread and it seems that there isn't a clear cut party to blame here. Ben is saying he has only seen this type of problem a few times out of 300 and the other guy is swearing he was only feeding the mids 120 wrms. So it's hard to decide who to believe here.

5. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Poseur claims to have been screwed THREE times, not just this once...
    And no resolve to the past issues, either. He can prove overcharges easily, so i would'nt doubt him on this... actually any of it... he's given me no reason to doubt him at all... i cannot say the same for Milne.

If eD overcharged him twice before, then they should recone his mids for FREE, since IMHO they owe him that anyways.

Regardless,

It's the *Stance* this company is taking now, and has taken before, and the whole shit with my preorder (where the fuck is it?) thats just all adding up and becoming too much

i mean seriously... i don't even WANT this shit anymore!

now its a matter of questioning what am i more likely to recieve?

halfassed products, or my refund?

6. texcon

texcon Full Member

Well, you are 100% entitled to a refund of your money, seeing you have no product in your hands. Again, I stress the idea that you need to look at the total experience, especially the after-sale part.

Also, I was not aware that those overcharges were for the same guy - after 3 times being screwed over, I'd give that company a resounding "Fuck you and good bye!"

But it sounds like your gut is telling you to get your cash back and go another route. I almost always trust my gut on issues like this. And I am by no means an eD basher, but I have heard too many stories of people not being treated well. I seriously doubt all these stories are fiction.

7. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

will i SEE the money is the question. Don't forget, i don't even have an order # or confirmation of any sort!

First was an overcharge, $40+shipping turned into $80 and he was told "Tough"
    Second was an order for a 60Ft roll, he recieved a little more than 40Ft. "Tough"
    Third, are components with blown mids, everything else is fine. "Tough"

It appears to me that, he took more precaution with their setup than i would have. This is what concerns me most in this case.

Also noted is where Milne says the NINe.2 is 115x2 @4ohm
    whereas i pre-ordered an amp capable of delivering 400x1 @ 4ohm.
    I don't see these numbers matching up...
    seems more like 230X1 @ 4ohm does'nt it?

A Tsunami amp, like Poseur has, the 440... will give me more power for the same price or less. That's actually my issue, where to turn to get what i expected to be "bang for my buck".

I also thought i'd be getting a 3yr warranty ... so much for that.
    Frankly i don't even believe the pics posted are of Poseur's mids, i cannot see the pics but based on description... how can you destroy 150wt speakers, sending a max 200wt, even clipping the shit outta them... and the tweeters remain 100%? How could you not HEAR this sort of damage happening? I'm just not buying that. With 500 watts maybe, but come on.

I'm right there with you bro.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Actually that would be 230X1@8 ohms. You need to cut the load in half when you bridge. At 4 ohms you would see 460 X1 at 4 ohms.

If this were an isolated incident, or even one that was just not terribly common, I might not be inclined to be worried. But the way he did Josh Gull (his "good friend") is totally wrong. Josh is one of those guys you simply can't help but like. He is very polite, mature, and just damn friendly. The way he did Josh sounds so eerily like this it leads me to believe poseur

9. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

I like Poseur quite a bit myself. I feel pretty bad for him.
    My impressions of of the guy, leads me to believe he's really at the end of the rope. He's never seemed to be the kind of person to make mountains out of mole hills or to "pass the buck" if something was his fault. He's really quite pissed now though, and if it was his fault i do believe he'd own up to it.

Thanks for clarifying the specs Sandt38.
    I'm obviously not thinking clearly at the moment.
    If i called eD right now, i'd probably lose it.

$245 is not an insignificant amount of money for me.

10. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

And the thread is now Locked.

No resolution
    No explanation

Just another case of "contact eD directly".

11. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

And guesswhat thread closed.

Wow, kind words spoke of me, thanks man. You are correct in assuming that I'm not one to stir the pot, in general I jsut try to help ppl out, etc. I had one good eD experience and foolishly assumed it would continue to be likethat, I was very wrong.

This is really but a drop in the pond, but it's absolutely rediculous that they chose this over a meager $40. I garantee that I willt ake it upon myself to tell $40 worth of ppl all about how they work. I'm not trying to tell ppl straight up DO NOT BUY eD, just to simply look at the facts, and the amount of ppl who have reached theri breaking point. (I promise mine's not that easy to reach) and decide for yourself. I went into that battle knowing I was up against the man himself and all of his minions, but I hope there's things to be learned there as well. Take note how so many of the good points I made were simply overlooked while they were all finding somethign else to zero in on, and really in the end had nothing.

Anyways, end of rant, Hello all. I may be looking for new forums to haunt am I safe here?

~Paul

12. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

:oops:

Milne's last post has been edited, changed to singing a "happy song!" instead of a "fuck you, die" ending... and the thread re-opened.

:puke:

13. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

(I cannot believe I am about to do this...)

Even if Poseur is 100% telling the truth and was setup 100% correctly if you get two drivers back with blown coils like that it is a very safe assumption that its install related. Most companies simply will not cover melted coils and I honestly do not blame ED for not covering it. This is a risk you take when dealing with online dealers. They do not have the ability to double check your install so they cannot determine the exact cause of things. Its one of the trade-offs with buying online.

If he had been a bit better with the details on the gain setting to begin with or had his installer explain how he set the gains he might have had a shot. But even then that would be a trust issue. I personally would have taken his word if I were in the decision seat though.

My feelings about ED are pretty well known as are Seth's. If I were you I would cancel your preorder.

Edit: Welcome to the board Poseur. Get some Kodas ;)

14. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

I appreciate folks who try to help, and i've read lots of your posts on different subjects, you've never come off as anything but helpful.

Yeah, you're safe here man.
    It's a little slow, but the people are quality.

15. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Well, lets say i'll agree with you, but can you tell me where, in Poseur's install, there would be reason for:

"You sheered the coil straight off."

"The motors can not be re-used becuase the coil has been slammed into the back of it so hard the windings are litterally darn near impregnated into the metal and it's impossible to get them out. So right there our manufacturing cost is basically what we sell you a midrange driver for. "

Look, maybe i'm thick? I'm willing to accept that. Maybe i just need Geolemon to explain it to me...

But i've dealt with alot of wattage and alot of different electronics, perhaps speakers are'nt my forte... i just cannot see this kind of damage occuring from a 200 watt amplifier. WTF man, seriously? We are'nt even talking 100% Efficiency! We are'nt talking sinesweeps here, we're talking a 70% efficient 200wt amp playing music.

Please explain this to me.

Well, after two prior "bunk" deals then losing his shipment, and talking less than 30 days on the speakers, plus he's a senior member of your community and a prior and repeat customer, plus you already made a wrongfull $40 off the guy...

DAMN RIGHT i know what that decision SHOULD have been if they had a single gram of PROFESSIONALISM. Or the slightest iota of concern for customer satisfaction.

I just submitted a "ticket" in regards to my order status. We'll see what transpires from here.

16. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Couldn't agree with you more, but there's actually another bit of "screw you you're lying" correspondance leftout on their end. I wish I could retrieve it but... gone. Either way, I can understand their initial issue with this, but the continued denial is just flatout pathetic. I more or less told them I would not remain silent like I have before, and kinda got called out, so there it is. I'da let alot more of this slide were it not for other eD controversy out there, which is part of my inspiration at the moment...

17. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

As Ben mentioned its only a 1" coil. They dont take abuse as much as a 3" subwoofer coil.

200 watts clipped could turn into 400w with less cooling. Again, ED cannot inspect the install to decide on whether or not this is the case so they have to go by what they have. Its a simple trade off when buying online.

That I understand. Yes they are unproffesional in my eyes. Yes I likely would have likely warrantied it myself if he had that kind of track record with me. Hell I just GAVE my friend my JL 10w3v2 because of a faulty ED woofer simply because I recommended it to him. But then again i am a 1 man show. They are a growing company with many faceless customers.

18. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

You can trust this faceless customer to do his best at making them feel it.... damn I sound like a vindictive bitch. I swear this is me in rare form here, I'm just steamed....

At any rate, I too am wondering if that really is my set of mids, for the same reasons gonz mentioned. It could verywell be, but yea *shrug* I guess we shall never know.

19. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Woah Woah Woah!

I now see the pictures. I have absolutely NO IDEA how that much of the coil could come off the former. I have never seen anything like that in person or in picture. Coils do not just slip off the former when they get heated up. The glue starts to melt and turns black. This lets part of the coil partially unwind and rub in the gap. When it is let loose enough it gets stuck. It doesnt just fall off like that.

20. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

See I've got absolutely no idea how exactly this happens as I've honestly never blown a speaker before. WHat do you think this means? would this be a "dummy" they're using to attempt to show ppl how badly I destroyed somethign?