Seafoam And Got No Smoke?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by pedro quiroga, Apr 6, 2008.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hold up! you drive 200-300 miles after pouring it in.:confused::(

holy crap.i buy.....um b12 something.can go in the gas and oil and i only put in 6oz and run the truck 10 min at idle then flush the oil.

but then again i guess this may be different.

2. pedro quiroga

:eek: damn that sucks....7 bucks a quart here.:eek:

3. pedro quiroga

i only run 100 octane @ 6.99 a gal.:D

seriously tho.i used to put in at least 2 gals of 100 in my old truck and she ran like a top!

i used at some point almost every product for the gas and oil in that thing over the 17 years i owned it.

back in 94 i goofed and redlined it and had to have the bottom end worked on.

so the engine had to come out and the mech said it'll be 900 to do the repair but a rebuild is only 1200.well since it had to come out i said go for it.

did the clutch and water pump too(it leaked a little). so it was 1500 total. not too too bad.

anyways the mechanic was suprized as to how clean the inside of the engine was for having over 90,000 on it. so ever since then i have a routine i do to the gas and oil.

so it makes sense that i didnt get any smoke. i guess.

i flush the oil with engine flush then run good cheap oil for around 20 miles thenput in the good stuff like royal purple.

4. pedro quiroga

oh i filled up at 3.31 for 87 the other day. ouch.

3.75 for 93. and the 100 i'm guessing is at 8 by now.

16 for 2 gal FTL.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Yeah I let the stuff clean out the gunk and crap that builds up I guess. The oil that comes out looks completely different than normal oil when I change it.

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

My wife drove the car about 80 miles today and I pulled the dipstick when she got home but the oil was still clean as the day I put it in, about 10 days ago. I was expecting something like hot fudge from Azn descriptions. She is going to Disneyland tomorrow so ill check it again when she gets home. I really dont want to change the oil again but if it gets nasty I guess ill have to.

7. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Pedro you should be happy with 3.31 a gallon, I just filled up my Sable at 3.65 a gallon with an 18 gallon tank..... You do the math:(

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Ha, I just spent almost $100 filling up my tank the other day. Little over $4.00 a gallon here!

I think California is one if not the most expensive state to buy gas in.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  9. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

here in ohio it sits between $3 - $3.30 per gallon of 87 octane.

10. pedro quiroga

hell at the rate its going i'll need to get an electric car,but i'll kill them batts too fast with the audio set up. lol

your fracked either way.

11. pedro quiroga

update..

since cleaning the intake some weeks back my gas milage has improved.

the first week not so much cause i sat in the truck for an hour(twice)

tweaking my stereo.

second week my gas mileage at 1/2 tank was 30 miles more than normal.

its normally 150 at half tank. and at 1/4 tank my odometer read 275. way better than normal.

so LAST week was just as good. 33 miles over normal at 1/2 tank. i averaged 22.4 mpg this week. i drive on the highway to work and back thru the city to go home. 1 hr in rush hr traffic and 25 min in the morn.

so it helped a lot.

edited. was last weeks fill up,not this week

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

that's great, especially with the gas as high as they are now.

13. pedro quiroga

yeah 3.55 when i filled up. the day before it was 3.41. i should have topped it off then. man was i ****ed

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

its 3.55 here still

Hell for me after driving a half tank I only get about 120 miles...12mpg sucks haha

15. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

After about 200 miles of driving the oil still looked very clean, could barely see it on the dipstick, but after pouring a whole can in the crankcase thought it would be wise to change the oil again. Tried it again in the brake booster line and all I got was a big puff of white smoke for about 5 or 10 seconds, that was about a half can and let it sit for about 5 minutes before restarting it. Why am I not getting the hot fudge oil and the big smoke for 5 minutes???

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

some engines are just cleaner than others I guess

17. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Hey Azn what engine do you have in your Explorer?? 4.6??

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

nah the 4.0

it's doing pretty well...I got better throttle response and acceleration after cleaning the carbon build up on the throttle body...I have no idea how that much got on there.

I remember seeing an old episode of some car show on the speed channel years ago....they were working on a 98 exploder. After installing a new EGR(HAPPY NOW LOL) valve assembly the engine ran a lot smoother...more power...and better gas mileage.

Mine looks shot lol

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  19. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

EGC???? Do you mean EGR??? Have you been nippin at the bottle again??:lol:

20. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah EGR...lol still recovering from the weekend