Scion TC Head Unit Problem

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by Scion_Owner_01, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Scion_Owner_01

Scion_Owner_01 New Member

I hope someone can help me out here. Heres the deal:

I got my new Scion TC about 36 hours ago. I have an "old" (2 months old actually) Alpine CDA-9856 head unit which has the ipod functionality built into it, all you need is the cable to control it via the head unit. I was going to get this installed into my TC but found out that I will not be able to use the steering wheel controls to change the volume, tracks, etc. I heard that there is some universal kit that transmits the wheel controls do the headunit via an IR interface, however I will have to leave the little door to the headunit open at all times to gain that functionality. With that said...is there any other way around it? Or do you have a suggestion as to what other kind of head unit to get? I would like to stay under about 350-400 bucks to get this all done. Any sort of suggestion would be very very helpful!

Thanks

2. 2002 LS

2002 LS Full Member

I am assuming you would have to leave the door open b/c the IR port is behind that? If that is the case then you can buy any unit that has the IR port on the front of the unit. Or even better, would be to get a unit with an remote input on the back. I know my headunit has this feature but it was over your price point. I'm sure it would be easy to find others though, just look for a hardwired remote.

3. Scion_Owner_01

Yeah, this unit does currently have a remote feature...however I do not know if it does have a hardwired remote in the back of it. I am thinking of getting the CDA-9857 because it does say that supports the steering wheel controls. I just wanna make sure that i get everything that I need to avoid anymore headaches.

4. 2002 LS

2002 LS Full Member

When you speak of the little door, that there is something within the TC that cover the unit? Or is it a motorized face that must be left down?

5. Scion_Owner_01

Yeah, it is just a plate you push down to cover the unit.