power a car amplifier

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by psycho_maniac, Apr 23, 2007.

1. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

Is there a way I can power a car amplifier through a computer power supply? I could care less about if i fry one of them because I can get a psu for free and the amp Is a piece of crap one that I don't care what happens to it. I found this
    http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply
    Im wondering if all i have to do is bundle all the yellow (12v+) and all the black (ground) and wala i can power a amplifier. I will fuse the 12+

or just 1 yellow to the power and remote and one black to the ground?

I also found this. http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/17571.html

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

You can power up and run a small amp with one I am sure....

But to run an amp that has any serious current draw, look to using power supply and an battery....this will give much better results. The computer PS is 12 volt, and thats it, no higher than 12 volt, period...most amps see about 13-14 volts in the car when it is unning..

I have succesfully run 2 orion amps at the house off of a 50 amp power supply and a couple of car batteries....they performed rather well for a few hours till the RMS voltage was dipping below 12.5 volts....

Now, parrellel several computer PS's..that might do a rather nice job! All though they will never do more than 12 volts.

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

yes, i've done it a few times as it's hard to find 12 volt adapters that are over 1 amp of output. You should have a car battery if you want it to pump but adapters and pc power supplies will work, just don't turn it up at all or the power supply will go kaput. I do it for testing small amps before i sell to ebay and am too lazy to go out to my car and try them there.

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

How about a car battery, battery charger and a Capacitor !!!! LOL i bet you could pump then.

5. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

lol I do have all that stuff. but I don't think the amp will last very long. its just a old jensen 600w max 75w rms. Its like a 6 channel amp.

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

battery chargers cannot recharge fast enough...caps are a waste because the electrical power of the battery and charger are not strong enough to power the cap also...AND caps don't do anything for a weak electrical system.

There are many many manufacturers that make power supplies out there...I have a 25 amp power supply from radioshack...its nothing heavy duty but does the job...puts out 13.8 volts

that 12 volt pc power supply will do NOTHING to power an amp unless the battery that is paired with it dips below 12 volts

7. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah...that thing looks pretty stout