Posuers new install

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Poseur, Aug 4, 2004.

1. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

I've heard incredibly good things about Tangband drivers, and i really want to try some in home speakers.

However, as much as i wanted to recommend them to Poseur, when i looked at PartsExpress, i could'nt really find anything at 4 ohms which would be suitable in power requirements.

But if you used two drivers, splitting the power between them, thats another story.

2. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

My current enclosure doesn't have room for a brahma anyways here's a shot of the rearward clearance before I fleeced the front of my box. http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment....achmentid=15996 Unfortunately 12a's are failrly shallow speakers. Either way as I've said, I really wouldn't mind making a new box anywhich way because that one was a first-attempt, and while it works and looks good, I know I can do better.

gonz> yea I was looking at tangband as well, and couldn't come up with much int he 4ohm realm. I'm sorta thinking, though that if I go 3-way I might make my midrange a dual-driver setup. thatway I could make kicks for a pair of 4's and a tweeter then put the 7's in my doors, I don't really have enough room for 2 6's or even 2 5's for that matter in kicks unless I get REALLY creative and intrusive which I'd much rather just not do. It IS afterall a fairly small car.

3. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

3-way with dual 4"s... now you're talking dude!

this is the sort of thing i'd really like myself.

i'm quite leary of the results i'd see with fiberglass though...
    hell, they try to keep silicone caulk away from me!

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

.14, but it is too deep. I guess with a ring it may fit, but I am not too sure he wants that much change. I might wait for the Koda 12 to be released if I were in his shoes. Of course, there are many other drivers I might suggest if he wanted to swap out right now. The 12W6V2 comes to mind. IDQ. Maybe the IDMAX (I think it may fit in there).

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

How about dual 5.25's? B)

A bit of discussion on some of the issues you should consider when implementing multiple sets of same-frequency speakers in a listening space, too. ;)

6. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

hmm... interesting indeed. I wish I had that kind of room to play with. Damnit you guys've got me in my car wiht a tape measure and carboard circle cutouts trying to magically grow some more room inmy kickpanel area. 4's look doable, 5-1/4's are indeed pushing it a bit.

question, wouldn't multiple drivers essentially mean more area meaning that you'd be pushing lower frequencies with a bit more authority? If I go through the effort of doing this, I could verylikely even measure out my airspace and port the whole enclosure as well. That should give me some midbass pop, eH? maybe I wouldn't even need to put bigger speakers in the doors then. oh who am I kidding, I'd do it anyway.

7. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

alright, so it looks like my current plan is for 4 of these suckers http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=299-431
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/299-431.pdf
    4.5" vifa "infinity" mids. The only thing that really concerns me isthat they seem to falloff pretty sharply at 200hz, does anyone know if doubling up will indeed extend the lowend? I would assume so, but honestly don't really know for sure. EIther way 200 is much higher than the 60 I'd like to be crossedover at upfront, which would suggest to me that I would, indeed need to add a larger midbass speaker to fill out the rest of my soundstage. I'm kinda excited about these, though as I'm prettysure I can fit them nicely in kicks very far forward. I've got some cool ideas, hopefully they'll workout alright.

It kindof looks like I'll prolly want some 7's afterall which means I could likely just go with them first, then add the 4's as I go. I've still got to insulate under my carpet anyways which will effect the shape of things before I start making kicks. hmm, this stuff's kinda exciting.

8. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Has anyone dealt with the tangband neodymium magnet drivers?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=264-832

there's also an 8 available, I'll have to check what kind of room I've got. Mounting a couple of these suckers in my doors COULD indeed be awesome for getting downlow up front. However, I'm wondering if they'll work for IB decently, or if I'll want to make an enclosure for them? I'm pretty sure I could swing making a little fiberglass blob inner-door enclosure of sorts, but I'm not sure that I could get a ton of volume out of it.... Magnet clearance will be a little tight, but I should be good.

Basically Im not familiar enough with speaker number specs to know what type of application would be good.

frequency-wise I'm not tooconcerned about midrange, I figure the highest I'll play them is 1k, and it's much more likely IT'll be like 400hz, I'd like them to play possibly as low as 60.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Interesting find!
    11.5mm Xmax is really impressive for a 6.5"... my 10W6's were touted as ultra-high excursion subs back in the day, with about the same Xmax!

10. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Yea I was STOKED about thatmuch excursion upfront, but the question remains.. will IB work alright with them? I really truely have no clue. If someone in the know thinks they'd do alright atleast just down to 60 or 50hz, I'll be willing to give them a shot. If not I'm sure they'd come in handy for a minisub install in a tight space somewhere with a proper box.

11. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Okay, so firstoff, I'd like to thank Steven Kephart for showing me around adire the other day. I missed the open house unfortunately, but I caught a nice tour anyway. Of course I got there with no decent cd's (just mp3 discs) and a borrowed subamp that I'd later found was set WAY conservative on the gains. But it was nice to see toys and meet people.

At anyrate, so I've got my frontstage atleast figured out as far as what I want to try. Who knows what a pair of 4's flanking a tweeter in each kick plus 7's int he doors is gonna sound like, but I shall soon know. At any rate... My next issue is going to be getting a new sub setup rolling. I've come to the realization that I DO indeed need my boom, infact I really wouldn't mind having a goodbit more of it. That in mind, my thoughts now have turned to a ported brahma 12. Fair enough, but I like my box, and would like for my ca'rs basic layout to go unchanged (Currently I've got a 12a neatly tucked into the right rear corner of my hatch) My idea, then is to make a funky mdf slotport that basically wraps around my spare tire well, with a fiberglass blob in the corner for the main volume. I'll get some pics and sketches up in a bit here, but my question is this, Will it sound bad to have a port on the other side of my car as my sub? I've very little experience with ACTUAL quality ported boxwork, so I'm rather unsure. I know that I can get my enclosure's volume up to about 1.75' with little issue. and most likely make it fairly smooth and clean, But I don't want to go through all of the effort and time of making this labrynth of slotported weirdness only to hav eit sound like crap. Basically, my current theory is for the port to be a large U shape wrapping up and around my spare tire well, and then venting upwards.

Ideas? suggestions? questions? Is this even gonna be worth it? I'm hoping to tune to like 25-30hz, and still take up as little useable room as possible (I figure slotport falsefloor will raise my floor about 3", but my car from teh factory had a 2-1/2" falsefloor consisting of plastic trays, etc that I pulled. I think this is an accomplishable method.

12. texcon

texcon Full Member

All I know is that I've seen installs where the port is outside of the box, so your idea is not that far fetched. I have never done it myself, so I cannot add anything else.

13. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

I have no desire to get involved with this, but this is a rather interesting comment as the eDi's are externally the EXACT same dimension as the HD mid...

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ummm, hello Mr 2 weeks ago :p

Anyways, I thought these weren't just rebadged units...

Call me confused :unsure:

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Blah, blah, blah...

(forsight...)

16. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

No need for blah.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/gallery/data/504/1DSCF00071.JPG

http://www.edesignaudio.com/gallery/data/504/1DSCF00091.JPG

Ben always said he liked the HD mid. Liked it a lot. He's said there are some differences, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if there weren't.

A certain CDT dealer has been talking shit about the eDi's for quite some time, specifically mentioning the motor size, and others have been repeating that claim.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Awww, why did he elect not to post? I saw a certain someone on here replying to this thread, but he did not post it... Why not?

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL, sorry that was not intended for you. I saw Ben on here replying to this post right before you did, but he obviously elected not to post whatever he was writing...

19. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

Edit: That came out wrong; he was going to, but decided he didn't want to. I was more than happy to anyways. :) I was the one who brought it up.

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Why not Chad? I think he should be fielding questions of his, and his companies integrity on his own. No offence to you, but I just don't believe Ben would begin a post and stop writing it because you said so.