Orion Xtr500 Popping Fuses... Any Help?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by geolemon, Jul 14, 2004.

1. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Curious if anyone has any ideas I might have overlooked...

My friend had an amp installed at some local shop around here...

The amp was purchased as a refurb a long time ago, and hasn't ever been used. It was delivered, and sat in it's box.

Anyway, these guys hook up the amp, and claimed it simply didn't work.
    Popped both the fuses on the amp.

I looked at the wiring job, and wasn't exactly impressed...
    the plug holding the speaker wires, they had stripped about 1" of casing off the wiring, and the wiring was too large to fit into the speaker plug, leaving some squished copper strands on the outside.
    (I'm wondering if they ever came in contact, causing a short, and some inherent damage at that point)

At any rate, I tidied up the wiring, made sure the capacitor was charged with a resistor (and monitored its charge), removed the underhood fuse, installed the two fuses into the Orion amp, and noted a spark as I installed them (bear in mind, no fuse underhood - power coming from the charged capacitor).

I then installed the fuse underhood, and got a big spark, I assumed from the capacitor charging back up what it had lost when I plugged in the amp fuses (and I assumed the amp's capacitors charging).

But I walked to the trunk, and both amp fuses had popped.

I'm suspecting damage to the amp, but I don't know whether it is because the yahoos that hooked it up let the speaker wire strands touch (like I said - 1" stripped and shoved in the plug :rolleyes: ), or whether the amp was actually damaged.

Anyone have any guesses as to what might be damaged - and if it would make any sense to contact Orion for repair (I'm doubting any warranty on refurbished gear), or if anyone here might have repair facilities?

Any help is appreciated!

PS. I'm not opening the amp up at this point, as it's got it's little sticker on it that says "warranty void", and it's not my amp.

2. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

gonna sound dumb, but you sure you checked to make sure you were using the right rated fuses? also try putting the fuses in, then apply power as your in the truck and see if they blow right when you apply power. anything furture would involve opening it up and seeing if anything inside is toast.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

So the amp wasn't powered on and the fuses popped? If that is the case there is a problem in the amp, as the circut to ground should not be completed untill the HU signals it on.

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

JD still work for DEI??

if so call him up and say

"listen here you slimly littel BLEEP sucker, give me a new amp you son of a BLEEP"

:p :p

Did you have the Power and Ground Reversed :p B) :lmfao: :lmfao:

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I didn't install the amp, but when I got the car, the power and ground were in the correct locations.

The fuses were the ones that came with the amp... which the shop that installed it just threw out (not to mention, failed to give my friend even the under-hood fuse :rolleyes: ), so I had to look the fuse rating up in the manual, and install two new ones.. so I do know they were correct.
    Fuse underhood never blew, just the amp fuses.

Like I mentioned, really the only suspicious thing that I found was the extremely sloppy job fitting the speaker wire into the speaker wire plug (the Orion amps have this plastic plug, almost like a Molex plug, the wires fit into machined holes like a distribution block).
    The speaker wire was stripped nearly an inch long, and was too large to fit into each speaker wire hole, meaning strands were askew outside each hole. I cut the stripped portion of the wires down to about half, and trimmed the stray strands... something a shop should have done by instinct, IMO.

But anyway... I agree, it seems like something is dead inside.

This amp was a refurb, and it sat in my friend's closet for over a year, before having it installed.
    I don't believe there's any warranty at this point.

I'll get the amp back from him and open it up, the warranty sticker I'm sure has no validity at this point at any rate.

Does anyone know any competent repair shops, or any members on here, that could diagnose and repair at a reasonable cost?

6. Drkodin

Drkodin Full Member

it sound EXACTLY like what i just did to my amp :( . i reversed power and ground when installing it and everytime it was connected after that (it was rewired properly) it kept popping fuses just like you were talking about. Seemed to me that, after eleminating other possible issues, the power supply simply blew something to cause an open short in order to protect the amp. with your electrical knowledge Chris i think you should be able to fix the problem without any huge issues.

7. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

Well, which one was it? Isn't that an oxymoron? An open is where there are no wires touching, thus nothing would happen when you gave it power. A short is where you would be popping fuses.

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well...
    As "electrical knowledge" goes -
    I certainly believe I've got the wherewithall that if I had been the one installing the amp - there wouldn't have been any issues.

However... cracking open an amp, and diagnosing a complicated circuit requires much more specialized Electrical Engineering expertise that I unfortunately don't have...
    ...simply eyeballing for blackened components I don't think is the best strategy. :lol:

9. Drkodin

Drkodin Full Member

lol, i don't know what i was thinking, more than likely I said that because i was brain dead at work ;) .

anywho, what i was trying to say was that the power supply shorted out but at teh same time "opened" from the rest of the amp. Basicly i lost the PS before the amp was hurt which is what i bet happened to the Orion.

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

You likely may be correct...

Again, I didn't do this install, so all I see is the end product, and the positive and negative wires were correct when I got it - but that might not have been the case, they might have realized they made a mistake - or maybe never made one. I don't know.

But TO-3 on CAF is someone whose EE expertise I trust, having audio amplifier experience, and his guess also was that the power supply was shot.

If that's the case, a few components may need to be replaced, and we'll be back in business... but I need to find somewhere/someone that I can trust to perform the repair. My friend paid quite a bit for this amp (compared to what a class D amp of 500w could be had for today), so I feel really bad that he's going to have to shell out more to get it working. :(

11. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Hey Geo,

I'm friends with a local tech, but he specializes in RF circuits. Considering this isn't that far off, he could probably help.

He's relatively cheap i guess, and you can bribe him with doughnuts.
    Thing is, he may not have specific audio components on hand.

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

My suspicion is, the damage is not to any componentry that is proprietary to Orion... it's likely something very fundamental to the SMPS, although I'm only guessing that's where the damage is, based on the symptoms.

I'd love someone that could check it out for a small fee, and then let me (or rather, him) know if the repair would be another small fee, or a large fee, in which case it wouldn't be worth it.

13. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Here's the thing...
    you're going to open the amp regardless.

if i'm not mistaken, Orion makes some quality stuff.

my familiarity with circuits is kinda limited to RF, but...
    in almost every radio ever made, theres a protection diode right in front of the power supply. it's a $0.30 part at best. It's purpose is to pop in the event that the positive and negative get hooked up in reverse... which it sounds to me was the case here.

if the diode pops, it will blow fuses.

check for the diode, it's visual inspection time.

if ya want to consult with Doc, give me a call and i'll supply his number. He's a cool dude, tho he might talk your ear off about.... anything.

oh and also, he lives on Doat st.
    it's cool, if you don't mind going into a place as hostile as Iraq.

Otherwise, if need be, and you work something out with him, i would deliver it to him and back for you.

I don't like going down there either, but it's where i grew up. so yeah, i'm either brave, or i have a deathwish, or both are true. :ph34r:

BTW, i have dealt with this guy for years. He's NOT a "large fee" dude at all, ever. If it's expensive like that, he'll just tell ya so... but theres mostly nothing in an amp that is expensive to replace... it'll all depend on the scope of the damage.

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Sounds perfect... I'd love to chat with him. I obviously won't be driving the Civic, and the Pathfinder doesn't have anything really in it at this point...

Buffalo is just frustrating to me.
    The people around here are great.. loyal to the area and proud.
    But our city government needs to be flushed down the toilet.
    It grew to massive size when Bethlehem steel dominated the economy around here... and what mechanism is there to scale it back, or allow it to change as the economy changes? None... flush it.

I'm not exactly a suit-wearing, benz-driving (I wish!) jewelery-blingin' kind of guy... I'm sure I'll be fine. :lol:

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You're too young to remember Bethlehem Steel. They went under when you were like 3 years old. I think the biggest loss was all the engine plants that went under. The Tonowanda engine plant built all the 454s in GM trucks for decades. Of course, Lackawana stamping and Saginau steering were big too... I have quite a few friends who lost their jobs when Saginau went under. But damn... Bethlehem (at least the biggest part of it) went under in what, '79?

There always is the Canadian Ballet though :p . And at least they didn't end up like Niagara Falls... What a damn shame. I lived in the LaSalle area (647 77th street, I went to 79th street school and Prince of Peace) for about 4 or 5 years when I was just a kid... Right before Love Canal :blink: . Maybe that's what happened to me :p

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh no...
    I remember driving across the Father Baker bridge when it actually was a high-rise bridge, over the supply canal...
    Smoke so thick from the plant you couldn't hardly see.

Now, it's just empty. It's shocking when you see aerial shots of the area... it's massive.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL!!!

Father Baker!!!

There used to be a boys home or orphanage (I don't remember which) of the same name. When Gramma got done beating us with the switch she would always threaten to call the police and have them take us to Father Baker if we did it again. Seems to me like they got shut down for abuse or poor conditions or something.

When did Bethlehem get shut down? For some reason I was thinking it was within 5 years after the beginning of Love Canal... That started in 75 or 76, finally being declared a disaster area in 79 or 80 (I remember Carter did it, so it had to be right near there). I can still hear gramma cursing out Carter, "that damn democrat woln't even protect the very people that voted for him" she would howl. Maybe I am off, but damn it should be close. We were still living in the West Side (I lived on Baynes, 2 blocks from Lafayette High... rough neighborhood too) when it shut down I was thinking.

18. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It could have been around 79 or 80...
    I would have been just 6 or 7 years old back then.. little guy riding in the back of Mom's red Pinto. :lol

Speaking of the Father Baker Bridge...
    It should have been taken as a big red warning flag, when they built the Father Baker Bridge out of imported Swedish steel, as it was less expensive to do that, than to build the bridge from Bethlehem Steel, despite the bridge being located virtually in the middle of the steel plant. :rolleyes:

I found this timeline, actually:
    http://ah.bfn.org/h/beth/

Says 1983 was the year Bethlehem Steel closed most of the facility, save for the very few operations that I believe are still in operation today.

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

That must be what I was thinking, when the first big job cuts took place. Hey, it has been a while I am rusty on the whole subject.

I wonder if the "Econoimic Redevelopment Zone" is still there? Did it stay the projects or did it really redevelop? I spent many nights in the projects over there hunting down... shall we say, less that wholesome materials :unsure: . We used to come in through the South Towns and passing that sign always made me laugh... "Economic Redevelopment Zone" :rolleyes:

20. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Hey sandt38, are you still in "the hood" ?

It would be nice to find more like-minded, Trustworthy, quality folks around here.

I'm just minutes from Geo's place, myself. He's a suburbanite, i'm a hood rat. :D

That's really the truth though.... I was "porch hopping" on Babcock, Imson, & Seneca street(s) till 4:30-5am last night. :blink: I love adventure :lol: