Opinions needed on replacing factory speakers (4 door compact sedan)

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by joba2mo, Nov 26, 2011.

1. joba2mo

joba2mo Guest

Specs:

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan
    - 5x7 / 6.5
    - Kenwood 348U Stereo
    - Factory speakers that distort heavily on some songs
    - Do not intend to get subwoofer
    - Budget = ~$400

I definitely want to get component speakers on the front doors with tweeters flanking my windshield. I listened to the Polk Db5021 or whatever at Fry's, and I immediately knew that's what I needed.

It begs the question of what speakers to get for my rear doors, or even both my rear doors and a pair behind the backseat (which I'd rather not cuz thats more $$$).

Polk's coax speakers don't sound like they can deliver the bass I want, but I am afraid to get two different brands of speakers.

I listen to rap sometimes, but im not looking for booming bass. I'm looking for crisp mellow bass that's just right.

In general, that's the type of sound I'm looking for. Clear, crisp, accurate, and life-like. As if you were sitting in the front row yourself whether its a saxophone, guitar, or I can hear the singer take a breath.

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

No sub? OK. But your speakers will need to be solidly mounted. Heres what you need to know, if you feel vibration, its sound thats being absorbed and not heard. You can get good bass out of 5 x 7s or 6.5-inch speakers. But mounting has to be solid. First Dynomat the door, then mount a piece of MDF (1/4 or 1/2-inch) to the door where the speaker mounts. The MDF will make the mount more solid. Now mount the speaker. A baffle behind the speaker can also help but not 100% necessary.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    And the Polk 5 x 7 can produce a decent amount of bass

After a good solid mount, you may want to add an amp to the two front speakers. Something around 75 watts RMS shound do nicely.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011