no ground wire

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by 07grandprixSLP, Jun 7, 2011.

1. im in a 2007 pontiac Grand prix GT an i have no bolts what so ever to mount a ground. i even took my back seats out an nothin. what should i do an i dont wanna drill into my trunk if i dont have to.

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

A Factory bolt is never a good ground

Your better off using a non-factory ground (drill, sand off paint then nut and bolt)

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

good advice Diesel

4. why is that? im askin cause the shops around here always you factory bolts.

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I'll remember to NEVER take my truck there for stereo work.

Now to answer your question, most factory bolts have sealers on them to prevent corrosion. This sealer prevents these bolt from providing a good ground. While you can easily remove the sealer or paint from the bolt, its nearly impossible to remove it from where the bolt screws into. Factory bolts are always a bad idea. Its even stated in the install manuals of most amplifiers that factory bolts should be avoided.

6. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

couldn`t you run a ground back to the battery, even though it`s alot of cable for nothing....

7. we finally got it we removed the carpet an got it bolted by the 6x9's in the rear glass. an yea we sanded down to bare metal an did it.