Nicer Than I Expected

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by sandt38, May 30, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Here are the first pics of the mains. I included a raw pic and a couple others to show off the walnut inlay and the amazing texture and coloration. Please bear in mind, these are simply raw and shelac covered units. I will be adding at least 14 layers, up to a possible 20 layers of clear lacquer on them over the next 2 weeks. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

3. ASM

ASM Full Member

Very nice job Seth. They look great in the picture.

How are you going to do the grills, assuming you are making grills?

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Wow, I wish I could work with wood like that.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Thanks guys.

Chad, no grill. I have never been a fan of grilles. They create unwanted reflections causing phase, cancellation, difraction, and reinforcement issues, taking away from the image (and even possibly the stage) and narrowing off axis responce.

If I were to add a grill, I would cut out a chunk of 1/2" - 3/4" MDF in the shape and size of the front baffel, and add about 1/8 of an inch off every side. Then you clamp the "grill" on the unit, and choose where you are going to place the grill pins. Drill the holes for the grill pins (I use 3/8 pins) through the entire "grill" and into the baffel. Be sure it enters the baffel enough to allow the pin retainer to sit flush. Next, pop the retainer pins in place and position the grill on the baffel. Using a flush cut router (of suitable depth) flush cut the grill to the speaker. Now, cut out the inside of the grill with your jig saw (be aware of the speaker locations and retainer locations). Fill the outside of the grill where you drilled through for the retainers with putty. Shape the grill with a router or sander, whatever you choose. Then glue the grill cloth down on the inside.

In some cases where you do rounded front edges, that round up to the front baffel, what you do it perform the same operation before you glue the baffel into place. Then, glue the rounded edges outside the baffel face, etc...

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

how are you going to cook out on Memorial Day if you hate grills :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sorry could not resist

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The wood that you used as corner molding looks really good too. That really makes it professional looking. I was wondering, actually, what you were going to use! I like the 45 degree edge on the very corners. B)

9. ASM

ASM Full Member

Thanks for the info Seth.

I will have to save this incase it disappears from the board.