New Speakers....

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by Willy D, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Well... A very good friend of mine is gonna sell me some front speakers with a matching center channel....They are JBL Studio Reference series...Fronts are 3-way with a 12" woofer.....They are immaculant and sound super sweet...

I am gonna split up my current system somewhat and have a music based system upstairs and my theater system downstairs....

Upstairs I am gonna have my Sansui integrated amp powering a pair of JBL L7 4-way floor standers (these L7's are awesome speakers and the pre in the Sansui is ultra smooth and sweet)....CD player will probably be my Sony pro audio player burner (it is rackmount, very solid and sounds great)....Connect the CD player to the Sansui, direct out to speakers....Defeat tone controls, just run straight out.....This sound is pristine this way...Very smooth top end and lows punch you in the gut....

Downstairs I am gonna run the new JBL's on the front and center...Rears will be my Bose 401 floor standers....They sound very sweet and musical and being direct/reflect put out a nice diffuse surround...My reciever is a Marantz and my CDplayer and DVD player are both Onkyo....My sub is one that I made...Box is 3/4" MDF...all joints are dado'ed, glued and screwed...Loaded with two older Kicker Comp 12" 8 ohm drivers...Each driver in it's own sealed chamber, wired parallel....Amp is one I bought for and enclosure...300 watt RMS, with level, freq, and phase controls...auto turn on....Sony Wega 43" TV (would like bigger, but hey...what the hell...upstairs I have the 36" version)

it should be cool....spend most of the time upstairs (of course sat. will be connected to the Sansui...stereo, but still good sound fidelity)

Willy

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

my first center channel was a jbl.got it in 93 i think.from sears.i worked at the local mall(foodcourt) and got a small discount from the salesman.anyways it sounded nice.

had it hooked up up untill last year when i got my bose center.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

JBL always made a good set of speakers, ecpecially the home audio stuff. I almost bought a set of them back in 92, but opted for the Polk audios instead, i thought the highs on the JBL's were a "little" too bright. But it was a close toss up! Actually, now that I am older, and my hearing is getting worse, i should have gone with the JBL's.....I find that every year i need to turn the EQ up a little bit on the highs!!! damnit, my old age and all.....

Post some pics of your setup Willy! I love home audio as much as i do car audio....

4. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Well...I finally got these new speakers and got everything hooked up...

I set them up and balanced all levels with SPL meter....last night I popped in the movie "Batman Begins"......WOW!!!

Very cool....Instantly I noticed the front sound stage just sounding a little more cohesive...With the front mains and center all matched, the timbre of the three was the same....When things move across the screen from extreme side to side it sounded more seamless than it did with unmatched center...

I swear it felt like I had one of those butt shakers in my chair on some of the scenes with the "batmobile"....This was a cool movie...Little darker and completely different than the previous more theatrical batman movies...

Cool

5. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

I will post some pics soon....Gotta get my family room straightened up a little. It is a mess right now....

Willy

6. AudioEquipment

AudioEquipment New Member

Nice Set...and a great movie

Got to completely agree with you that Batman Begins is great to watch on a surround sound system. I've gotten in trouble with my downstairs neighbor a couple of times because of that movie.

I've had two JBL's a while back and completely loved them. I gave them to my dad when I got some new speakers so at least I still get to hear them when I go over there.