New Hood For the Ranger

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Ranger SVO, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Before I put the new wheels and tires on the truck, I want to do a little custom work.

I have a friend that can weld and I've located a metal hood scoop, and a metal louver panel. The plan is to cut out the stock metal (hood bracing will NOT be damaged) and replace it with the new metal.

I was gonna get a hood Friday, but the local salvage yard was closed, go figure.

This is my vision

Attached Files:

2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I'm not for sure,but I think that some rangers have aluminum hoods.I know for a fact that some full size Ford's have aluminum,because I have one.I would take a magnet just to be sure.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Thanks for reponding, I was hoping you would. Anyway, I just tried a magnet and it stuck to the hood.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Here is a link to the Louvers

I have not made up my mind 100%. I might decide I need less louvers, maybe 8 to 12, still not sure

And here is a link to the Hood Scoop

The hood scoop is about 2-inches longer than my Ranger Hood, but I don't see that as a problem. I have a couple of different options to deal with this problem.

Anyway, once everything is welded into place and ground down, I'll be asking you about fillers and for advise. I want it to be nearly perfect before it goes to the body shop.

It needs to look better than the photoshopped picture

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I've done something similar to your scoop,but never installed any louvers.I put a svt mustang scoop into a turbo coupe hood,it worked out pretty good.It's too bad that we are all so far apart,I would definitely help you out in person.

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

That would be really cool, but just too long of a drive.

I'm gonna pick up a hood on Saturday and look around for an SVO Mustang hood. My first choice wound be to graft the SVO scoop to the Ranger Hood, but its unlikely that I can find that hood.

So my vision is what we are going to shoot for.

7. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I think the svt scoop I welded on was an add on scoop.I'll have to do some research when I get some free time.

8. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I think that would look better than the full run. Less is more!

9. ericj

ericj Full Member

My Opel GT has stock hood louvers. I've always liked them.

[​IMG]

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I may have a chance to buy this hood. This is the hood scoop to have.

[​IMG]

I hope I can get it

11. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Good luck,I'm hoping you get it too.That looks like a '86.I think only the turbo 2.3's had the scoop off center and the 5.0's were in the center.

12. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Well, I didn't get the one I posted earlier. But no problem, I found another one and managed to get it and at a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

13. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

That one looks like it should integrate nicely into the body lines of the hood!

14. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

So your planning on the offset,cool.Are you going to make it functional or just for looks?

15. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes I want to offset it just like the SVO Mustang, but my offset will be a little more. All of the SVO ducting is here, including the rubber gaskets, so making it functional will NOT be a problem

I need to do some preliminary work first and then the louvers will be added.

PHOTOSHOPPED PICTURES

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The double row louvers may not be possible, don't know yet. But the single row is Not a problem.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The louver panels are made and ready to put on the scoop. This will look really cool. I'll cut out the scoop in the next couple of weeks and weld in the louver panel.

[​IMG]

I still need to get a hood from the salvage yard, maybe tomorrow. The weather here has been pretty good.

17. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I'm just curious,are you going to butt weld,lap weld,or flange it?If it were me,I'd flange it and spot weld and then duraglass it.Thats just me though.That way you can finish it on both sides for a clean look.

18. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

It will be flanged. I have access to an air flanger.

19. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Cool,that's the way to go.

20. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

It got up to 72-degrees today, so I spent a few hours at the local salvage yard. WOW what a great place. I could spend all day there. FM600

Anyway, I got the hood. So I have all the parts. Its time to go to work