Need some explaining on some stuff

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sl0wm03, Dec 30, 2006.

1. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

lol, all that stuff and we're still in high school.

It's not sucky, it still does the job and works, just because BassBox Pro looks better dosen't mean anything.

Lmao, not that I am good at either one, but still lol.

2. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Go ahead and call this a stupid question, but for tools I will be going to my uncles house because that is where all the tools are. Can someone give me a list of all the tools I will need to make a subwoofer enclosure.

and how thick should the MDF Board be? They listed they had Half Inch and 3/4 Inch.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

3/4 inch wood or thicker.

a circular saw or table saw

tape measure

straight edge

nail gun (air compressor) or drill

screws or nails for the gun.

wood glue

caulk(latex or silicon)

4. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Gracias, now just have to go shopping soon...

Is there a difference between component speakers and coaxil speakers and which would be better, I see that coaxil has what looks like tweeters on them.

5. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

I was just bored browsing around looking at subs, not going to get any new ones, I just like to read the info and found something I didn't really know and want to know.
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQ Subwoofers
    Just grabbed a link, I see it says Sensitivity: 87 db, is that it's max sound 87db, or is it just an average it can run at.

6. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

DO NOT use nails....use SCREWS!!!!

If you have the means to make dado joints to join the box together that would be best.....Table saw is the way to go.....

Use MDF if you can get it....if not.....use a good grade particle board....Do not use plywood.....I try to make boxes out of 3/4" MDF....I dado all the joints and glue and screw them too....They are SOLID.....

If you can use a table saw with the rip fence that is good....Use a stacked head dado or a wobble dado.....or......you can use a straightedge and a router....Good quality wood glue and coarse thread deck screws or drywall screws....don't use sheet metal screws.......Measure twice, cut once.....Good straight (square) cuts are the key.....If you cannot do dado cuts, use straight butt joints and add glue blocks to reinforce....

Work slow....don't get into a rush....take your time....do it right....

Willy

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hey willy where you been?

also how did the install in your truck go?any pics?

8. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Did you see this???

Quote..
    Ok.....Have not posted for a long long time.....Sold house, moved, yadda yadda yadda.....

If anyone remembers...I had put a small system in my son's car...(94 sunbird..JVC HU, MB Quarts in dash, Kenwood 6x9 in rear deck)

I acquired an amp (rockwood) and just recently made a trade for a couple subs....MTX subs...8"...Each one in a small ported box.....

Let me tell you.....I love these little subs and this amp was used temporarily in my truck with no problems at all.....My son is 18 and not a bass head (neither am I)....These subs filled out the lows nicely and can play quite deep and quite loud (no SPL records in danger)....

Just last saturday, I started tearing into my truck to FINALLY install all the stuff....(blaupunkt 4 ch amp, double bridged to run separates in frt. doors (infinity ref. 6.5 & tweets)....Rear speakers (4x6 infinity ref. running off HU) and my 10" JL audio sub in a "Q" custonm running of a Kenwood class D mono amp.....

NOW......I just bought a new, used car....96 delta 88, clean, low miles....I stuck my Eclipse HU in it....I would like to run an amp and a couple of 8" subs just to fill in the low end.....Any recommendations?? I think I am gonna build one or two boxes and use ported design...Space should not be an issue as the trunk is good sized....I want SQ first and foremost.....Nice tight bass guitar and kick drum (new and old rock, some country, etc)

Thanks

Willy

I will break out the camera and get pics along the way.....

Willy

9. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Um... What kind of and how many speaker terminals will I need for 4 DVC subs?