Need some explaining on some stuff

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sl0wm03, Dec 30, 2006.

1. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Alright I got my four 10" now. Just went to a local shop here. Got them for 114$ e/
    [​IMG]

Soon to build the box within 2 weeks. Anything tht I should know about the boxes? I know they need to be airtight. I need to get insulation. What is the stuff that people put on the outside of their boxes? Looks like molding or something.

2. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

first you need to figure out your dimentions so you can get the internal air volume matched up to the subs you have.

3. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

4. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Damn... Yea they say everything is cheeper on the net. But I don't have credit cards. So then I can make this box smaller then what i had planned. On the side view its 4" 9/16. So I could make the box smaller.
    With the insulation. Why is it louder if it's in a bigger box? Thinks it is

What's this coiled up stuff
    [​IMG]

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Not much louder just lower extension...as the lows will be more prevailent than in a smaller box.

That coiled up stuff is just to seal up around the basket of the subwoofer when mounted...here is some

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-540

Also you can just use rope cock to seal it up

6. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Ohh k thanks.

Then I would screw the box down to the box?

I just like alot of advice.
    You can tell I have no idea bout this stuff

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Screw what box down to what box???? lol its ok man we're here to help you not screw anything up

8. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Well I know if I just set the box down, then it's going to move on the floor. Would I screw that down to the floor.
    Then screw the sub into the box.

Yea i just notice i did a typo.. Screw the box to the box lol

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well you can use L-brackets...just be carefull of where your drill through the floor pan as not to drill into any lines or the fuel tank

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

why not use the L brackets on the seat bolts.

11. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Because I don't know what they are... How would I put htem on the bolts

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Good idea Pedro

13. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

What are the gauges, are they thick in different sizes. 4 gauge and 3 gauge, what are the looks different and what do they perform or make better.

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Talking about wire...smaller the gauge the bigger the wire

15. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Is it good for the wire to be big, or does it just depend if your wiring a sub or wiring a speaker.

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

speaker wire doesn't need to be any bigger than 16 gauge...biggest I'd do for subs is 12 guage...and thats like if you're pushing like 2000 watts

If you have a high power amp than yes bigger power cable and ground are better

17. double b26

double b26 Full Member

i didnt read through the whole thread. i just wanted to say that i had a pair of reference 12's. they are great subs for the money. they sound clear and deep, and have high sensitivity. you will like them.

depending on what he wants for them (or if you were gonna buy new ones), crutchfield had (i think they still have them) the better series on sale...the kappa percect's. you can get 2 for $179..the references are $100 each. its actually cheaper to get the better ones while they are on sale.

EDIT: as far as power and ground wires, i would go with 4-gauge. 8-gauge will usually get you by, but i have seen them get burn if you try to pull too much juice through them. most amps these days accept 4-guage, and if you go to add on other amps, you wont need to re-run a bigger power wire.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I've heard both the Reference series and the Perfect series...both sound awesome and work very well and sound awesome in sealed boxes

19. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Yea, I have four of these
    [​IMG]

So would you recommend a sealed or a ported box for these, I'm gonna have a box at least 3 feet tall, I know alot of air way and it's louder. It's the reason I haven't started the box, I'm gonna get a different vehicle.

20. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

Now forgive me of not knowing the names if I don't know the names of things.
    This is just things I am curious about, not hooking anything up yet, I probably won't hook it up myself.

Whenever hooking up the subs and amp. Where are the wires that go to the amp and subs coming from? Is it coming from another wire connected to the door speakers, or is it coming from the CD Changer. Does it go into the amp, then the subs are hooked up to the amp which plays the music. My stupid questions eh