Need help from experienced installers.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DaveDSMer, Feb 24, 2007.

1. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

Had a couple particular questions that were bothering me. I should be getting my headunit on Monday so I am going to be installing the system over the week.

First, I have top mounted dash speakers. Should I use my deadener matieral in the hole they are mounted in? Just the bottom or both the bottom and sides? 4" mids is what is going to be mounted there. The tweeters I am not sure where they are going until I listen to them in different locations.

Next, I know polyfill is used for sub boxes that are a bit small for the sub placed in them but what about a box that is a bit larger than the spec? Would polyfill help at all? If so could I just stuff it in there through the terminal cap hole or am I going to have to unmount my sub?

Last, would deadener help in the doors even though I have no speakers there? Maybe help insulate the truck more to keep in the sound?

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

well, in my opinon, anything you can do to stop resonance in an audio enviorment, will help to perfect the sound.

Now, If you have an enclosure that is too big for drivers, I would not use any fill in it. On the contrary....add material too it. Using 2x4's or big strips of mdf, instal more bracing in the enclosure. From front to back, aloiong any larger surface vertically or horizontally.....Just figure out the total volume of the wood bracing and what meets your needs..... If that wont get you close enough...Resaw the back of the box to the correct dimension and install a new back to it....I have done this before on the Table saw.....works good...

3. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

maybe you can help calculate my actual box cubic airspace.. ill post the size of it in a few minutes. It was supposed to be 1.3 cu but i think it might be a bit smaller.

4. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

ok its basically a box style with a wedge end to it.

its 13.5" tall, 13.5" wide, 12" top depth, 17.5" bottom depth, 5/8" Thick

5. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

i come up with 1.172 cubic airspace.. then when you figure sub displacement in there it ends up being about 1.1 or so? Since Infinity states to use a 1.0 box plus polyfill , a 1.1 box without should be right on... i think lol.

6. TheViking

I have not run the numbers Dave....but sounds about right....I would go ahead and use the box, unmodified. The slightly larger displacement will give a little lower Q factor to the sytem....whichh in car audio means that the sound will be a little more accurate. IE lower frequency response with a touch less power handling......

You should be good with that......

In your Ranger? right???????

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

polybag those front dash speakers and stuff some polyfill in em...they'll sound a helluva lot better.

Polyfill only makes the box seem bigger...To make the box smaller you could also use closed cell foam and glue em in place....lighter

8. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

yeah Viking this is for the ranger.

9. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Yeah thats the same thing as polybagging...'cept poly bagging is cheap, works, and you don't have to wait for shipping

I wouldn't cut holes for the speaker to "breath"...no need to.

11. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

explain to me a little more how to poly bag though. I have never done it or seen it done before.

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

basically take some plastic sheets kinda like ziploc bag material (thats what I'ma use for my doors, some big ziplock bags and cut them into sheets) and lay it over the cut out...push in where the hole is and stuff some polyfill in there(could cut a small hole for the speaker wire) make a crater and leave some material hanging over the edges of the hole and install the speaker...basically making your foam baffle thing.

Well this is what I understand from what Viking described a while back

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Can you locate some baffles that will fit down in the speaker hole? There are a couple of different companies that make Baffles and they are cheap. And with a little Dacron the sound will improve.

This is how it looks in my doors

[​IMG]

One other thing, put 99mfd capacitor inline on the positive speaker lead. This will prevent low frequenies (which it can not reproduce any way) from reaching the speaker. Don't waste your time with those cheap bass blockers. Asian Caps Suck, really bad quality.

Any audio shop will carry PAC or Stinger

Now you will really be able to put some volume on those 4-inchers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

exactly what are the benifits of poly bagging?

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

better sound

16. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

how exactly.less bass/distortion.what?

just curious how it works is all.for as many years as ive been in this i've never heard of this..........unless its the same thing the metal heads at school would do with their
    6x9's.they would leave the styrofoam packing on the back side to reduce bass output.

for them it was all about the highs.

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

from what I understand....higher power handling, less distortion, stronger mid and midbass(not really 100% sure), dunno what else though

18. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

ok so this is what I plan on doing... please tell me if I am doing anything wrong. From top to bottom.. Speaker.. then the air tight baffle from crutchfield.. then onto a ring of MDF.. then a layer of deadener placed on like a gasket.. then onto the sheet metal. Inside the baffle is polyfill .. then I am going to silicone over the hole that I am going to have to poke in it to run the wires to.. making a perfectly air tight enclosure with polyfill in it sitting on an MDF ring connected by sound deadener onto the sheet metal.. sound ok?

on a side note i found a company that builds 150amp alternators for my ranger.. which is a 65amp alternator stock. Cost is 140 bucks shipped with lifetime warranty.. sounds tempting.. could just do the big three when I changed it out. Prolly don't even need that much extra power but could not hurt.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  19. TheViking

that sounds about right dave. The siliconing of the iwre hole is a little overkill, but hey, why not!

Also, as an alternitive to the alternator you mentioned, might check out the price of an alternator for a diesel ranger. Tell em you want one for an 84 ranger with a 2.2 litre diesel...(my ranger) I beleive it is around 100 amp and is possibly less in price than what you found.

20. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

im a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sealing something.. if its supposed to be sealed then damn it its going to be sealed. My sub box had a small leak in it.. i pushed the cone and watch it slowly return.. found it it was my terminal cap so i silicones that sucker in there and bam problem solved. The difference between almost sealed to fully sealed is quite a bit from this sub. So since that happened I am for sure going to be sealing these speakers... going to use the same technique for the rear 5x7s as well. The deadener as a gasket should really reduce the vibration and further seperates the speaker from the sheet metal... all the better. This ranger should sound very nice. Thinking about entering it in some local SQ competitions when I get done just for fun and maybe learn a thing or two from the pros. Plus I doubt they will believe me when I tell them my actual cost for the system lol.. plus the sony xplode amp will really throw them off.