Need help choosing a deck

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by cccullen, Apr 26, 2010.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

like it says guys, need some help looking for a deck... I would want to hook up an ipod with it but not a "NEED" cuz i don't mind dealing with MP3's on a CD. I made some choices and I want to keep it as cheap as possible. I really don't like the idea of keeping my system with a stock deck. i just hate the thought...

anyway, i made some choices so I'd like to know what y'all think.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p8582/DEHP6200BT--Pioneer-CD-Receiver-with-BuiltIn-Bluetooth-&-USB-Direct-Control-of-iPod.htm
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p7504/DEHP410UB--Pioneer-Premier-MP3-WMA-WAV-iTunes-AAC-Reciever.htm
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p5432/CD3100-Eclipse-MP3-WMA-CD-Receiver.htm
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p8654/KDCX794--Kenwood-Excelon-Advanced-Indash-CD-AAC-MP3-WMA-AM-FM-Receiver.htm

gotta admit, i looked in ebay and i saw the eclipse for like $99. VERY tempting but i just need some advise here. thanks again.

2. eviling

eviling Full Member

if the eclipse is an older moder under the 7000 series, it's built like a rock, it was such a shame they backed out of car audio, it broke my heart, i wanted the 7200 mkII so bad :( anyhow, that deck should do ya very well should you choose it. pioneer also makes very good decks with very fast interfaces for on the spot tuning, which eclipse will lack, from what i understand they can be trickier to tune up and work around the User interface.

but if you want great ipod compatibility, go alpine, they will not let you down, they're decks look like a cluster fuc, but they are rock solid, with great ipod compatibility and good outputs, the CDA-9887 is the model i'm considering to put into my cars deck, i'd consider alpine, and they're tech support is on par with nobody, they will take care of ya ;) long as you remember to buy from a certified distributer, always remember to call and check or ask if your in store if they're certafied, and i sometimes will even call the company to check with them.
    the kenwood you listed is also a very good unit, i read a few reveiws on it, looks to be solid. i just don't like kenwood amps, i had one that died on me in 4 months with mild use.

6ave.com has the best alpine prices i've seen around, and they're a certified dealer for alpine, and won't pull anything shady.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Im very familiar with alpine and especially the 9887. just don't want to spend a bundle on a deck. so i'm kinda looking for the best model i can find with good preouts and spend the least amount as possible.

4. hardtymer miata

hardtymer miata Full Member

i might be able to hook you up with a headunit and it won't take a lot of $$$ .

5. hardtymer miata

hardtymer miata Full Member

maybe able to hook ya up & it want take a bundle .

6. Khayman

Khayman Full Member

I am having the X994 Kenwood installed with my system. Should have it by the end of the week. I can let you know what I think of it, but I don't have a lot of experience with head units so I won't have much to compare it to. Kind of like going to a new HDTV from a tube TV. It will be awesome no matter how crappy the HDTV might be ;)

7. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

If you want the best quality for the dollar, go with Pioneer for sure. They hafe iPod compatibility and great preouts for a good clean signal.

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Pedro, i would love to have the deh-P880prs, just don't want to spend that much for a head unit though.

hardtymer miata, are you selling? watcha got?

Jonny, at first i wanted the stereo to match the lighting of the interior of the car (me just being anal) but i didn't have any luck. i like pioneer, pretty easy to use. what do you suggest? i want it as cheap as possible but with at least 4v pre-outs. that's why i really liked the eclipse. any suggestions?

Khayman, i'd like to hear some feedback from the kenwood. on paper it looks pretty sweet.

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

well, i posted before i looked at pricing.

i swear i saw some for 220ish before. may have been used.

if it was me, i'd go with a unit thats easy to navigate, and has a decent amount of eq bands,and good pre-out voltage too.

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

so what would you suggest? something good without a hefty price tag, i would like to keep it under 200. i know, i'm cheap. lol

i'm not looking to win any comps or anything, just something decent.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

what do you guys think about the Alpine CDA-9855? it's an older deck but i heard a lot of great things about it.

i can prolly pick one up for $160

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

13. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Looks very nice...I have had many kenwood decks and they all have been nice and packed with features galore for the money...

14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

oooh that is a nice looking unit.

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

never used a kenwood but from what i've been reading about them that model sounds and looks REALLY good. I may just give it a try. it's got 4V preouts, time alignment, pretty good looking EQ and adjustment on speaker sizes and placement.

16. eviling

eviling Full Member

yeah i found one at 185...and one from 285$, but the site didn't seem reputable. you should be able to find it under 500, and man is that a sexy deck!!!

anyways, go with the kenwood i think the 200$ model would be nice, good reveiws, good UI. decent sound production.

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Yeah, if i'm going to buy i'll get from a authorized dealer 15-25 more means a lot if the warranty is there. lol

i was also looking at the Kenwood KDC-X993 so now i'm kinda torn between the two kenwoods., the x993 and the x794. funny though, the only reason why i'm even considering the x993 is cuz the lights can be changed and it will match my lights in the interior. lol

18. Khayman

Khayman Full Member

does the x993 have the bluetooth? I know the x994 is the new x993, the main difference being the bluetooth. And of course being able to change the colors ;)

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

yup, the x993 also has bluetooth