My Poor 3000gt Vr4-help Me Change Speakers-long!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by peter_euro, Dec 26, 2003.

1. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'd mount the potentiometers somewhere you can get to them, just run good gauge speaker wire to wherever they are at.
    You can (and probably should) get locking potentiometers, so they don't vibrate out of place.

Send Dan an Email (or maybe he'll see this) and ask him... 1200 watts, RDO operation, would this void the warranty. I'd guess no... although usually warranties simply don't cover thermal failures, so you'd have to feel comfortable that you wouldn't have a thermal failure, wired this way. ;)
    The actual fact that you'd be running it in RDO won't impact your warranty, any more than say running it sealed, or dual-chamber vented, or free air would void your warranty.

The four Illusions are your easy option, but it also seems the least likely to give you any gains over what you have now, that's all.
    After all - at least by virtue of their specs... the ND12 isn't "in another class" or anything, where the Brahma would be (and mostly by motor architecture and Xmax rather than by traditional T/S specs):

Alchemy Xmax: 12mm ND12 Xmax: 15mm Brahma Xmax: 27.5mm
    Alchemy Vas: 3.8cu.ft ND12 Vas: 3.6 cu.ft Brahma Vas: 1.31 cu.ft.
    Alchemy Qts: .39 ND12 Qts: .26 Brahma Qts: 0.45
    Alchemy Fs: 22hz ND12 Fs: 26hz Brahma Fs: 28hz

The ND12 has a slight Xmax advantage, and it looks like the ND12 likes a smaller box as well. The caution flag would be a very low Qts, which would seem to indicate that the ND12 probably would be more ideally suited to ported apps.
    The strong motor of the ND12 (low Qes - .28) and higher resonant frequency does indicate that the ND12's should be very much more efficient than the Alchemy's, and that they will also be stronger in the upper end of their spectrum, rather than the bottom octave, which (ironically, right?) should be where the Alchemies are more ideal.

Unless the Alchemy is currently in a box that's simply too small for it...
    The ND12 being happier in a smaller box might "fit" better, if that is the case.
    And it's higher efficiency might make you happy... might even warrant a conservative reduction on your gain controls, which has potentially some benefit in terms of cleanliness.

That low Qts is the only thing that has me concerned at all. And EBP, actually...
    I don't have any experience with the ND12's, but if you can find people who have, I'd bet you can get some opinions of their performance, sealed.
    Generally, a Qts below about 0.45 means "ported"...
    And an EBP (which is simply Fs/Qes) over 50 generally means "ported" also...
    This sub's Qts is .26, and EBP is 93., that's why I say that. :cool:

But it really boils down to how it will peform relative to what you have now, that's what we care about.
    Is the Alchemy currently squeezed into a box that's too small, by chance?

2. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

I do not see how the Alchemies could be in a small box... their sealed requirements are 0.85-1.00 cu ft per factory specs... I have 5.7 cu. ft. :rolleyes:

3. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

K Geo and Sandt... I really need to get some directions since I have sold 2 of my 4 Alchemies and now there is no way back... I figured out my main stage with 4 ND6 and 4 Max Fidelity 30mm neo tweeters (I am going to put 12dB lo pass on rear tweets because I do not like the highs coming from the rear at all but still want the volume to be up... This part is done... Now the subs:

This is really coming down to either 4 12s or 2 15s because no matter what there is no way I would not have to modify the box to get away from the Alchemies with their 11.25 cut out... LOL

It also seems to me that if I go with 2 drivers, I will be cutting the sub power by over half unless I can figure out which 2 15s will give me 1 Ohm... I have looked hi and lo and the only ones that I can come up with are Kicker L7, LOL...

If I stay with 4 12s, the ND12 seem to be the simplest choice but that low low Qts really bugs me since it says at least to me VENT ME!!! but I think it should be ok in sealed too... This way I can have 600 watts to the drivers that are rated at 400 watts but the weight reduction is quite substantial with all 4 subs adding up to 52 pounds.... All other subs will exceed 130 lbs which is 50 lbs over what I have right now...

With 2 15s, I would really like to go with 2 Brahmas or Tumult subs and vent them because they seem to be the best of the bunch from what I see... Appearance wise they do not have the cool factor at all like the Illusions but they should deliver... However, I am cutting the power in half and they will not even see 600 each so how is the SPL side of the output going to be? Am I not going to hear the difference in output? I mean right now, I am complaining about 2400 watts of output, LOL... I am open to other 15s or way to do it or a formal assurance that I am not going to notice SPL difference... I do not want to change my sub amp becaue it is still very new and it does deliver the power that I want... The weight of 2 15s should even up with the 4 Alchemies... Sonically, I hope the new 15s are able to keep up with the main speakers and be musical enough... (my frame of reference are the MASS2012 and JBL 1200GTi setups in my other cars that make me very very happy... Actually JBLs sound the best musically... to be honest... LOL... But Audiomobile subs with 2400 watts pack quite a punch... So anyway... I really need help and quickly now if possible... I am fiberglassing my box this week from inside, reinforcing it just to make sure that there is no weak link on this end... I will give you guys full credit for this part of my system... LOL...

4. MValley70

MValley70 Full Member

2 SI mags.....they will work very well with 600 watts and vented......K-mart has 2 in the trunk of his 240SX and it is damn loud and sounds real nice with about 700 or so watts apiece......I am only going to send mine 700 watts when i get it....hopefully nest week.

Scott, SC

5. Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic Full Member

Hatches and trunks have shown incredibly flat (as far as F3's are concerned) responses with single Magnums. With numerous Magnum installations there is usually a slight rise in the response below 25 Hz due to the results of compound woofer alignments. MValley heard a pair of them up at a WV meet a while back. He can vouce for their "lack" of low-end. Kevin (the black 240SX on my web page) is doing 140's at the headrest at 30 Hz. The silver Camaro (hatch) on my web page also has a slight rise at 20 Hz on an RTA with a single driver in 0.8 cubes sealed. Not to mention sounding incredible at the same time. We had soooo many people ask us "you have tweeters in the A-pillars don't you" when we were at the Atlanta import show this august. That's really cool when your front speakers are literally on the floor. :)

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

You won't be cutting the power in half if you do the RDO thing. ;)
    Two Brahma 15's would be happy with 1200 watts in RDO mode... per Adire's own documentation.
    And then you'd have the 1 ohm total load you are looking for.B)

Regardless though, don't think of "power = output"
    I'd much rather think "efficiency = output", and that's a function of the enclosure, relative to the subwoofer.
    So, you haven't heard "2400 watts worth of output"...
    You've heard four subwoofers in that enclosure whose resulting efficiency was such that it took 2400 watts to reach the output level you were experiencing. ;)
    Put another way...
    You'll likely see larger swings in output by varying the enclosure size, given a particular subwoofer and amplifier, than you would by varying amplifier power, given that particular subwoofer in a given single enclosure. :eek:

The four Illusion ND's, I'd see if you can gather (from forums) opinions of people who have run them sealed, see what the thoughts are.

My vote (especially since your concerns are SQ and output) is absolutely for the two Brahma 15's in that enclosure (with a new baffle), running RDO, rather than running them on just 600w each.
    Although I think you'll WELL eclipse the output of your four Alchemies right now, if you did do the Brahma's traditionally, on 600w each.
    That is a lot of power, after all. ;)

7. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

LOL, k... I have to explain something about that fear of loss of power... There is no rationale behind it or the same one like behind having 350hp+ in this car vs. another car that can go just as fast with far less hp... Neither one is needed but it feels good to know it is there on tap if I ever got the urge, LOL... I am pretty sure I have never tapped the power on the subs even half way because it is pretty loud, just not loud the way I would like it to be... ;) BTW, the gain on the sub amp is down almost all the way and the HU gain was never more than 0...

The concept of RDO would not work too good in my opinion because by increasing the Qts, I would render the subs unusable for ported application in which these subs really shine... One thing that I am not clear on is why could I not just create a resistive load betw. the amp and subs and accomplish the same thing? I am not sure if there is a resistor capable of handling this high of voltage but if there was one, maybe this would be a way to go? I fully realize the actual subbass output would be more of a function of total box and subs efficiency than the power supplied but it still would matter to a degree... So this is what it all really boils down to... if you feel I would be fine with 1150 watts for these 2 subs ported (so no RDO as advised on Adire website), then I am all for it... If the reduced power would be a limiting factor, then I should give NDs a better look... Looking at NDs, they require 1.4 cu ft with a single 4x12 port to be tuned to 40 Hz... I am not sure what winisd shows but I bet they are pretty flat well below 30... So tell me honestly, will I be able to keep the gains down on these 2 Brahmas or will be just barely enough?

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

With that power, and the space you have to play with, you could seal the Brahma 15s and expect alot more output and better SQ than you are seeing with the Alchemies. Simple gainmatching will suffice, so no, you woln't need to overdrive the amp. If you choose to port 2 B15s in a hatch of a car that small, you are a braver man than I am.

The Tumult, I cannot really comment on it yet. I will be using one in the SPL Camino, but right now I am not. I might be a bit concerned of overbearing low end thanks to the ungodly FS. To me that is a plus (a bit of tweeking should flatten it really nicely). Such a low FS and the ability of the added excursion to keep the responce of such low notes flat. I love crushing low bass :p . Actually I like the ability of the woofer to go low. Nothing says well done system like a totally neutral responce from 20Hz to 20KHz.

As far as the Sexy factor... It is a shame you can't invert, because the Brahma and Tumults have sexy butts B)

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It's a shame you can't just leave them out there like this:

[​IMG]

Now THAT is sexy :p

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well, consider that the box for two Brahma 15's sealed, for a 0.707 Qtc alignment, works out to 5.5 cu.ft... Sound familiar? :lol: You said you've got 5.7, right? A new top on the box, and it's a drop-in affair.
    The RDO can be set to leave the subs with their existing Qts (and Qtc), with a 0.707 alignment.

Remember... wired for RDO, Qts (or Qes, or BL..) won't be any different at all than it would be if you had the voice coils wired in parallel. ;)

But it would be fun to have that little potentiometer, to bring the Qtc UP from 0.707, for a little more kick here or there... just like having it in a smaller box, essentially... a little more aggressive curve.
    Just an additional control that you'd be afforded, in addition to the double the RMS power that you'd be able to feed the subs. ;)
    Two birds with one stone... even though you only requested one of those birds, right? :lol:

Read this document a little more closely. ;)
    Let me select a few statements from the document:
    "[RDO] allows you to vary the Qts of the driver... [anywhere] from the "nominal" Qts up to nearly double that value."
    "[RDO] is typically useful in sealed or infinite baffle installations."

There are very fundamental reasons why RDO operation differs from throwing a resistor in-line.
    First of all, consider that any electromagnetic motor (including voice coils) can function either:
    1) as a motor (when fed electricity, they will generate motion)
    2) as a generator (when motion is induced, they will generate electricity)

But in order to operate as a generator, a load needs to exist. The higher the load, the higher the amount of current that the generator will try to generate.

What you are doing is feeding just one coil of the subwoofer, which makes it move, obviously.
    The second coil is just empty.
    If you just shorted it, it wouldn't generate any electricity, wouldn't do anything, sub would behave as normal.
    In putting a potentiometer (or resistor) across it, you are making that second coil behave as a generator, which has it's own counter-effect on the motion of the voice coil.
    You are manipulating back-EMF to your own benefit, if desired (you can always, with a potentiometer, turn it "off" ;))
    And the current being generated through the potentiometer is dependent on the impedance curve of the subwoofer, and the frequency the subwoofer is moving at. Pretty cool. B)

On the other hand, if you just stuck a resistor in-line, you would simply be presenting a higher impedance load (subwoofer impedance + resistor) to the amplifier... it would produce less power, and then some portion of the power it did make would then be bled across the resistor... and for no good. Just waste.
    Definitely wouldn't accomplish the same thing.

Your 5.7 cu.ft. is virtually ideal for a pair of Brahma's, sealed.
    Ported, they would like a bigger box, and your efficiency would definitely be compromised. I don't think you could do two Brahma 15's ported.
    Sealed, yes... ported... I'd do the 12's instead. ;)

If you are going to go with two Brahma 15's sealed, why not go RDO?
    If you don't, you'll send 600 watts to each of them.
    If you do, you'll send 1200 watts to each of them.
    That's my logic behind it. :yes:

Yes, I think 600 watts would be fine for a single Brahma. That's a lot of power, after all, and we've got some big, high-excursion beasts here.
    But I also think you'd like to have the 1200 watts per each on-hand, and I don't think in your experienced hands it would be too much power for them.. ;)

You could just run one voice coil per Brahma without doing RDO also, if you don't think you'd use it (just short the other voice coil with a jumper wire)...
    But since potentiometers can be set down to 0 ohms of resistance anyways, why not do the RDO if you were going to go this route anyway? B)

11. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

K... I am still totally confused about the RDO thing... What is the actual impedance that the amp is going to see? Is it going to be a constant 2 Ohm or will it vary with the potentiometer setting? Am I going to run just one of the voice coils in reality of using RDO? Or will both of the coils be playing? I always thought that runnig just one coil on a DVC is a big no no... The potentiometer they recommend on Adire RDO tutorial has a range that starts at 5 Ohms... :eek:

12. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

LOL, I cannot invert the subs in my set up... I just wish what the actual freq response is going to be with the sealed box... I guess the only way would be to plug in the RTA after the subs are in but then I guess it would not matter anyway... I am really agonizing over this sub search and switch in the car... I would love to get a flat response from at least 20 up to finally enjoy my Pink Floyd tunes... LOL... I am one of those that really enjoys that back massage from the subs, LOL... And I rather turn them down if need be than not be able to turn them up, if you know what I mean... BTW, at 2.8 cu ft per driver, how much power would be required to reach full excursion?

13. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The amp is simply seeing one voice coil per subwoofer.
    The other voice coil the amp never sees - it's not getting any signal from the amp at all... it's simply not in the amp's equation. :)

So your amp would see 1 ohm... two ohms per Brahma (one voice coil), wired in parallel to give your amp that 1 ohm load.
    That's all your amp sees.
    And it won't vary one bit with the potentiometer setting.

Now, picture the other two voice coils.
    Electrically not connected to anything.
    Until you hook up a resistor or potentometer across it. B)

Like I said, an electromagnetic motor can act as:
    1) a motor (when electricity is fed into it, it turns it into force)
    2) a generator (when force is applied to it, it generates electricity)

So, you have VC #1 powered up, the subwoofer is moving in and out as it should.
    VC #2 isn't doing anything.
    But when you hook up a resistor across it, essentially it's generating electricity that's being dissipated through the resistor. And as such, that presents it's own impedance to the circuit. It's controlled back-EMF if you will.

There are a few reasons you might have heard that myth, btw.. that hooking up only one VC is bad. Here's some "off the top of my head" possibilities:
    1) is that a newbie might not get the impedance they expected... easy to damage something...
    2) is that the sub won't "handle" as much power as rated... easy to damage the sub if you don't know better...
    3) is simply that it's not intuitive... what? leave one not connected? ;)
    4) could be the Ohm's Law rationale (if you consider leaving one totally unconnected, not shorted)... The more resistance you put across a VC, the more resistance against motion it would have (and vice versa)... well, "unconnected" means "infinite impedance".

This is definitely a case where we know what's going on:
    BL won't be any worse than if you wired the VC's in parallel.
    Qts can be stock, rated Qts with the potentiometer set down to 0 ohms.
    The downside to RDO operation is that your powerhandling is cut by about 1/4...
    Well, we're talking about a 1600w RMS sub here... so that would be 1200w RMS, conveniently enough that's what you are feeding it. And probably not even that, because it sounds like you run pretty conservatively anyway. B)

Does that help?
    The potentiometer isn't in the circuit at all, between the sub and the amp.
    Just picture VC #1 hooked up to the amp, and VC#2 is the one with the potentiometer wired across it.
    It doesn't change the resistance or do anything like that for the sub.
    It's there to present a "load" for our little "generator", if you will.
    Honestly - you could hook up a light bulb, and the motion of the subwoofer (being pushed by VC #1) would cause VC #2 to generate enough electricity to light the bulb. Light bulbs are resistive too! B)
    Nifty stuff!

14. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Geo, very nifty stuff indeed... The reason why I was concerned about running 1 voice coil must have been must have been implanted at the JL Audio site, who are very specific about not running just 1 voice coil, LOL... Actually, it would be nice if D.W. himself could confirm that this thing applies to Brahmas too (I think they were using tempest for their tutorial...) If I can have the cake and eat it, perfect :) And you are right, that 1200 watts is a very convenient coincidence, LOL... What frequency response do you think I can expect from 2 of these things and the SPL potential (not that I will need it but I would like to know what is on tap, LOL...) Do you think that these things will be as musical as the 12s and just as fast as the standard I use, 1200GTi? I think this is getting very close to full resolution (to your relief, LOL)

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I've got a JBL GTi 12" myself here also.

Interesting that you mention it, as your "reference standard".

I'm not sure if you know how well you understand the "how it works" of the XBL^2 technology, or the "how it works" of the JBL GTi...
    But I think you should definitely look into it, it's very cool...
    http://www.jbl.com/car/products/gti/gti_tech.asp
    ...and I think you'll be pretty surprised to realize that the two technologies (XBL^2 vs. DDD) accomplish essentially the same thing...

Both work to the end of flattening the BL curve, by creating a motor that allows coil count in one gap to increase as the coils leave the other magnetic gap. Basically, this allows the motor to maintain a constant number of coils in "a gap" at any point in it's linear excursion range, which means BL will be constant at any of those points.
    Both technologies accomplish the exact same thing, fundamentally.

It's almost a shame that the GTi approach requires SO many custom parts... custom basket, former, opposite-polarity coils, opposite-polarity gaps, ferrite, neodymium, etc... it's a wickedly expensive implementation that almost seems silly when you consider the simplicity of XBL^2, and that it accomplishes the same thing, essentially with a simple groove being the extent of the non-standard custom manufacturing. B)

You might be even more impressed to find out that not only is the XBL^2 implementation simpler and less expensive, but more successful in it's results (DUMAX confirmable).
    In other words, I think you'll have a new standard. ;)

Definitely check out the articles on JBL's tech info page for the GTi that I linked, it's a very cool technology, but I think you'll see what I mean.
    I picked up my JBL GTi after my Brahmas and my own XBL^2 prototypes, because their motor technology did accomplish the same thing.
    The JBL GTi is the closest competitor, IMO. B)

Especially since you mention the GTi as your "reference standard", I'm going to be particularly excited to hear your reaction to them, and impression of them if you do decide to go the Brahma route. :D

16. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

LOL, Geo... I am talking about the OLD 1200GTi not the new W12GTi... :rolleyes:
    I have heard the new GTi's and they sound very awesome but I was actually referring to my old subs that I have had for years... This is my reference because they are the most dynamic and cleanest subs I have had... I am always amazed how musical these things are and how much punch they put out...
    Nevertheless, I am all decided to go with the Brahmas... This seems to be the sub of choice since the box size is right... About the RDO setup, do you think there is a way to somehow hook up both subs into 1 potentiometer so there is no difference in tonal quality? Or just go with 2 separate ones? What are your predictions on in car freq response and SPL? Are the subs gonna play pretty flat or would be eq be needed to even up the FR curve?

17. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh, the OLD ones. Well, I'd still prepare for a new standard. :lol:
    The old GTi's were something... but traditional stuff basically.

I've been pondering the idea of hooking up a single potentiometer to both subs...
    I'm thinking it might cause troubles in that essentially you'd have those two coils wired together to each other, and one's generated voltage would be able to go right over to the other sub, it's voice coil inherently being lower impedance than the resistance of the potentiometer.

Still, obviously it would be nice to have both subs set to the same resistance (not that you couldn't measure it with a DMM).
    I'd suggest a dual-potentiometer like this:
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/143109.pdf
    I'm not sure how capable your potentiometer will have to be, in terms of wattage, heat dissipation.

That way, you at least have just one knob, coordinated settings. B)

18. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Well, I am not sure what had authored that RDO white paper or Adire site but if sandt or Dan W. had some input in this, that would be very nice... Hate this guessing game... BTW, those dual-gang potentiometers are not that easy to find but I am sure I can find one, hopefully locally if I have the specs... Too bad Adire does not have (like some other manufacturers) exchangable impedance modules to make the subs way more flexible... but oh well... By now, I am fully sold on the Brahma so they better fullfill my expectations... LOL... Still need some input on in car FR and SPL... :rolleyes:

19. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well, SPL is always hard to guess.
    More than your Alumapros, I'm sure is safe to say.
    Certainly way over my "make me happy" threshhold for SPL.... two 15's and 2400 watts of power behind them... that's SPL-competition material there, not SQ-machine, after all... :lol:

And FR is what makes this so cool... the RDO, I mean...
    Your enclosure will essentially result in a nice 0.707 Qtc for your subs. Many regard that as the perfect SQ alignment.

With a twist of the knob, you can actually change that frequency response, raising the Qtc... making it hit a little harder higher up, rolling off a little faster...
    You can tweak the sound to your liking with the knob.
    Much like being able to vary the volume of your enclosure down and back up with a knob.
    How cool! B)

20. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

well, I am going to call my local eloctronics store tomorrow morning and find out if they carry the potentiometer I can use... Not sure where to install it but I guess I am going to figure out... I am still high on the resin fumes from fiberglassing the box from the inside... LOL... I used up an entire gallon and I am not sure where it went... I think the box is ready now for the Brahmas... The top plate should be at least 1 inch thick (probably 1.5 inch betw. the existing one and the new one which will go on top...) and the sides and the bottom are 3/4 MDF plus at least. 0.25in fiberglass with mat reinforcement on all edges from inside). Do you think this should be fine? :(