My New Subs/box

Discussion in 'Pictures and funny Stuff.' started by pedro quiroga, Feb 28, 2008.

1. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

HEY GUYS.

well while driving home tonight i stopped by my fav pawn shop to look for a deal,and guess what......
    [​IMG]

2 orion 12's in this box.OMG! does it ever hit hard and DEEEEEP.
    i need some help trying to figure out what models they are.

they look to be a few years old to me.they are 2 ohm each. possibly dual 4 ohm coils.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the box is built rather well.will try to post a vid tomorrow.my nieghbor kinda got ****ed cause i was rattling her windows.lol

oh yeah.now cause im running 350 to each sub.my lights are dimming some.
    i've never had both amps running that hard before.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Sweet. slap some new carpet on that box and it would look very nice. How much did you get em for?

3. pedro quiroga

well i was looking for a box for my polk 12's.so i stopped at some shops and they all wanted 80-100.and the one shop where i got the new kicker box said 199 for a probox like the one my 10 is in.

so while at the pawn shop i found this box with subs for 100.

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

That's a good deal! so are you going to retire the L5?

5. pedro quiroga

for now......

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I think those are extremes, I had one a few years ago but the one I had the writing was blue.

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Looks like a 4th order bandpass...I want to start trying out those enclosures

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice!! That thing looks huge.

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

videos.... videos....videos... spongebob still back there?

10. pedro quiroga

sorry guys the vids are gonna have to wait.i got home kinda late.we had a hot job that we had to finish before we left. so i got home around 7:45.

11. pedro quiroga

oh forgot to mention.i had to add 2 tiny fans to the sub amps.with them both running at 2 ohm mono they were.....how can i say.....on fire,but never shut down.also the box sits right on top of them.

i also got some scrap wood and lifted the box up like an 1 in and a half or so off the amps.

i'd like to maybe......MAYBE..redesign the back of the trucks layout.

id like to show you like azn shows his box drawings but i dont know how.so i'll draw it out and take a pic of it.

it would be the same box style only with the amps on the box with a beauty panel covering the wiring.

12. pedro quiroga

[​IMG]

i'll also have some fans running on either side in a push/pull configuration

13. pedro quiroga

hey guys.man ive had a weird weekend.

fri night i added fans to the two M50 amps,then i went to work on sat and then camping sat night.

well one of my amps quit working and i was down to one sub.i noticed a slight diff,but couldnt do anything cause it happened while driving to the camp site.also the music was down low and never noticed until i turned it up.

so i took every thing apart in the woods,and checked all my conections with the multimeter.the amp was getting power but it had no output.so i rewired both subs to the remaining M50 at 2 ohms stereo.ok i got some bass back.

fast forward to sun morn. driving back home my subs quit working again!!!

now im frickin mad as hell.nothing i can do cause i had at least 2 more hours of driving.

help my bud unload,get home to unload my crap,take shower(cause man!we were filthy from muddin and riding the ATV's),fall asleep.

so i get up to take my $hit apart again!!aarrgg.

ok so i disconnect those fans and checked my power and grounds again.all good.i hook my meter to the speaker outs and i got voltage again!!yay!

i hook my subs back up and boom(literally) i got bass again.

so WTF happened. why would those fans cause my amps to shut down?

oh while this was going on my sub amp would only come on with the truck running.so i though my batt was giving out too.but all my voltage was good.

14. pedro quiroga

i found out the models of my 12's.they are orion xtr 12d's rated at 500 watts.

so me giving them around 350 each is just right.

i took them out of the box even though i didnt want to for fear of stripping the holes out.all is ok though.no stripped holes

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

pedro what you can do to help prevent the holes from stripping is take the screws out....pour a little glue in the hole and get a tooth pick or something and poke the glue into the hole...screw down the screw and pull it back out...let the glue dry and now you have some hard mdf threads

16. pedro quiroga

thanks.will do

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

how were the fans wired up?? Where they wired to the remote leads???

18. pedro quiroga

yes.my guess is there wasnt enough voltage to power on the amp and run the fans.

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

fans, fans lol, i gotta stay one step ahead of pedro. He got a new box and some orion subs! So i had to get my cerwin vega hahahehe.

20. pedro quiroga

lol.you know what ELECTRO.i almostALMOST bought an orion amp for the subs.good thing i double checked to see what i did wrong with my M50's

i was looking at an oldschool ORION 2150.to run in 4 ohm mono.
    maybe even an 2250 but then i would have had to upgrade too much.:lol:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008