My New BBQ

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Ranger SVO, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The High School I work at has one really impressive welding shop. The students are building me this BBQ. All I have to pay for is materials, really good deal.:D

[​IMG]

Its 1/2-inch thick steel, I wonder how much it weighs?

2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I had a store bought that was similar,but the idea of mine was a smoker.It didn't work that well for me.Hopefully yours works better,it looks great.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Outstanding! I have built many smokers like that. The only thing I would change about the design in the picture is the exhaust stack on the cooker section placement. I learned to put the stack midway or slightly lower. Retains more heat in the cooker section while still allowing a good draft. Anyrate...you will LOVE cooking food on that thing! When do we eat?

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I tried to lift it today. Fail!! This thing is heavy. Teacher said it was between 300 and 350 pounds. I think its bullet proof.

I also have a store bought one, its much thinner metal. So it does NOT retain heat like this one will.

I will really like it, and too late on the stack. Its welded in place

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. TheViking

go to harbor freight and get ya some cheap wheels to mount and it will make it ALOT easier to move. What kind of wood is prominant in your area for smoking foods? i use alot of oak and hickory...and have a stockpile of cherry kept for occasional use.

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Mesquite is the wood of choice. It grows like weeds out here.

They made some steel wheels and attached them today. They were starting on the grates today. The teacher said he wants to fire it up Friday to season it, but it might be just after spring break.

Remenber, high school students are building this. Its a learning thing for them, so we don't get in a hurry.

7. TheViking

some mesquite......that is one of my all time favorite smoke flavors!

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Its almost done, but its Spring Break. So it won't be until next week before it comes home. Teacher said its a tradition, first fire up is at the school.

[​IMG]

I cannt wait