My favorite antique radio.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by wild-bill, Aug 23, 2010.

1. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

I have a collection of vintage radios from different decades. Just thought I'd share some pics of my Panasonic 730-just got it from "Vintage Sounds" here in Houston yesterday. It was made around 1960. The on/off switch is on the tone control instead of volume-how weird. That's the only one I have that's like that. I like to play my favorite CDs through a little FM transmitter and listen to them with this radio(and my others). I also have an AM transmitter but the range and SQ is much better with the FM.

Note the huge power on indicator light in the upper left.

[​IMG]

It has tubes that light up, and put out some heat.

[​IMG]

On the dial are 2 marks at 640 and 1240kHz. I think the story goes during the mid '50s to the early '60s there was a fear of being invaded by the Soviets or something like that. In case we were attacked(or any emergency), there would be emergency broadcasts on those frequencies. So most radios from that time period had the "civil defense marks" on the AM dial.

[​IMG]

2. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Nice radio!!

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Very NIce!!! Need to play some ol bluegrass mountain music music through your am modulator...a little ralph stanley would sound awesome on AM!

The old tube radios.....mesmerizing really

4. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Thanks for the compliments. Yes Viking that's a good idea. I'm not familiar with Ralph Stanley, but can probably find some of his songs on the net. Here a few more:

This RCA Victor dates to around 1949. It's one of the early radios with FM, and the oldest I own. The case is bakelite-similar to today's plastic. I call it the plastic before plastic.

[​IMG]

It also has vaccuum tubes.

[​IMG]

This Panasonic was described on Ebay as "never used". When I took it out of the original box, I agreed that's what it looked like except for a little bit of dust on it. For a 30 something year old tabletop, it sounds good and is pretty loud.

[​IMG]

Another never used Panasonic found on Ebay. I took it out of the box and was the first to tear it out of the sealed plastic and put batteries in. During the entire Astros game broadcast, it performed well on its first day of use. It is kept in a ziplock baggie when not being used so no dust or anything else gets on it.

[​IMG]

Bottom: My parents bought this Sansui receiver in '73 soon after I was born.
    Top: Another Ebay find. MCS(possibly a JC Penny brand) tuner with FM AND AM stereo. WBAP in Dallas area used to broadcast in AM stereo until 2008. Now I can't receive a station on AM that makes the red stereo LED light up. I think most of the AM stereo stations still in use are mostly in the northern US and Canada.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

I am young but I still like things like this. Those are awesome man!

6. Z400

Z400 Full Member

Man those are some very clean and simple looking antiques you've got there.
    I had an 8 track player that was n near mint condition.
    Never used it, had am/fm. Ended up passing it down to someone else.

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

very nice. good pics too i might add.

what camera did you use?

8. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

My dad had an early 70s Kenwood that looked very similar to that Sansui when I was a kid.

He also had a Reel to Reel player. He had several albums in Reel form (Dion Warwick, Cat Stevens are two I remember) along with alot of voice recordings of my family when I was a todddler. I think my mom tossed it out when she moved a few years ago since it had some flood damage :(

9. grace

grace Guest

Great radio, i like collecting antique things but what a pity i have no this nice antique radio.

10. wild-bill

wild-bill Full Member

Pedro, I have a Nikon D300. Most were taken with the Nikon 18-70mm lens.

Yes I'd like to have an 8 track recorder and some blank tapes. And a reel to reel. My mom had an Akai reel to reel in the 70s and early 80s. She gave it to me about 1984, but by then it was worn out and died soon after. I'd also like to have a Beta VCR and a laser disc player. And a high end cassette deck from the 80s with 3 heads and 3 motors.

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

my dad gave me a reel to reel back in the 80's. i used to go into our storage shed and do funny shows. like they used to do back in the day.

i did all the voices and sound effects too, all on the fly. i wish i knew what happened to that thing,lol. would be a hoot to listen to myself from when i was 9~10.