my build on my 04' monte carlo LS

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by eviling, Jan 12, 2011.

1. eviling

eviling Full Member

mmm fun morning full of sanding, i have the driver side almost done, almost ready for final touch ups, i just finily got the curves right, probobly could of saved quite a bit of time had I used a better fabric that didn't have so much sag in it, well you live and you learn. fortunatly, the passenger side didn't have nearly as much sag and shaped much better so i won't have to spend as much time working out shapes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd coat and 2nd sanding

[​IMG]

several coats later...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my initial coat was in standard bondo, i did the first touch up with short hair bondo because i like how it works, it works really well for structure too, so i felt it was a very good choice, i have almost a 1\4" of material at some points, especily the main slope off the mid, which i like because their will be no noise from it.

2. eviling

eviling Full Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the new work bench, much more room to work with ^_^
    [​IMG]

FINISHED!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. H8glasswerk

H8glasswerk Full Member

Those look great! I would hit them with a high build primer and sand them down one more time before you flock them.

4. eviling

eviling Full Member

i was gonna just hit it up with some spray paint to primor and seal it up, what kind of primer do you mean? could it be done in spray paint? i don't have a spray gun and compressor or anything like that -

5. eviling

eviling Full Member

i have some pictures, its rained out, so i coudln't do any sanding today..well i could but it's ****ing wet out their and i spent all day yesterday sanding in the rain. so i spent the morning cleaning up some wiring, changing out some RCA's (shorter RCA's) and zip tieing wires, also cleaned out my car :p

I take allot of pictures, i hate looking at build logs where you don't see progress, or different angles, especily on finished products. i'm gonna have to primer these to get them preped and sealed for glue. not 100% needed but I feel it'll help me make sure i have no dinglebarrys laying about on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this side looks so naked...
    [​IMG]

coudln't help my self, i had to see how they looked with the drivers. and mmmm is it sexy ^_^ i need to get moving on making these rings too, i cut them, their floating around my shed somwhere but i might recut them, i don't think the ones i cut were tight enough, it depends on what fabric i use, i might just use the spandex i have.

[​IMG]

6. H8glasswerk

H8glasswerk Full Member

Yeah, I use Dupont 4004K but you can use Duplicolor Filler Primer High-Build Formula. You should be able to pick it up at any automotive parts store. When you buy it they have 2 different versions, make sure you pick up the more expensive high-build. I think the regular filler primer is like $3 and the high-build is like $5 or $6. One can should do both of those. Prime them and let them sit overnight. Then sand them out with 400 grit. Trust me you want to do this. Flocking still shows a lot and it will want to accumulate in any deep scratches or gouges.

7. eviling

eviling Full Member

yeah thats what the glazzing putty is for :p but yeah even with my eye like a hawk i'm still missing stuff , i just spoted about 20 more blotches, plus i found some flats i think will show in a flat black, so i'ma round those flats out, i knew of one, but i found another. I also found a thin spot that i'm gonna wanna fill from the inside to make sure i have no resonance in the dome.

8. eviling

eviling Full Member

I was unable to find the brands you talked about, i hit up a and a, and autozone, but i really just don't have the gass to be driving all over nore the time to be hunting down primer, i picked up some decent sandable primer and i'm just gonna give it some heavy coats to get it into the divits and fill in the micro lows, but right now i'm nearing the end of everything, the driver side is just soooo close, but i'm a real perfectionist, i keep making changes, but i think it's done at this point for the most part, jsut working on something on the one part, the passenger side has its final coat and its almost completly sanded smooth, it needs some patching, and a couple flats rounded out, than it will too be almost ready, than one more patch job, primer and sand and flock...right now i'm suffering a pretty massiving sanding cramp, ive been sanding 2 days stright :(

9. eviling

eviling Full Member

mmmm what i think will be the last bondo coat, before touch up

[​IMG]

the driver sides been done for awhile, but that damn corner just doesn't wanna work with me, this is the 3rd time ive tried to get it, i should have it this time.

the passenger side is getting a small coat just to curve out some flats, and some lows, and than a final sanding, than touch up.

oh, i also cut out the backs now that they have structure, after i primer them, i'll quickly get a coat of fiberglass to structure it even more on the inside, i might do that tommorow, but i'm def gonna get this primer on tonight.

[​IMG]

1 hour later :

[​IMG]
    finily got one of them primered! this is the 3rd coat, the 3rd coat only went on the parts with bondo as did the 2nd, the first i just covered everything just because fingerprints and bondo were everywhere and it looks prettier this way ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    their should be plenty of volume for these puppsy to brieth, i think i'm sitll under 1 litter, but i think it should be enough, they only wanted like .8 anyways if i remember, even if they didn't the polyfill should make up for the difference.
    [​IMG]

10. eviling

eviling Full Member

I'm gonna start by saying, i'm very disappointed in how the tweeter's are gonna look :( the edges are very bad, everything else is beautiful, but the edges got torn asunder during the whole process, i should of really made these rings bigger :(

this morning, after i got home from working 3rd shift, i started to prep these asap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the flocking area :cool:
    [​IMG]

one down!

[​IMG]

the finish looks great, i mean i was a little light in some spots, as you can see, but i'm not to worried about it, that spot is by the window :p i don't see it.
    [​IMG]

11. eviling

eviling Full Member

and now they are both coated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

damn those are nice

13. eviling

eviling Full Member

I coudln't sleep, so i decided to install one side since their pretty much cured up enough to handle at this point.

this flocking stuff is amazing, even in the close up's with the flash, or even in full sunlight, imperfections are so well hidden. it looks simply amazing..i forget what color they used to be, but the black on the gray head liner feels wierd, so i think they were graysh werent they its been so long since ive seen them with out bondo and **** all over em i forget XD but it looks amazing. i'll get the drivers and the driver side installed when the sun is out, i just did this to pass the time, and get some glammer shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. eviling

eviling Full Member

all done ^_^ and they sound great :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

oooh those look great!

16. eviling

eviling Full Member

[​IMG]

lol 3rd out of 3 in my class but it's a start, i didn't do to bad, my bid bass needs work, and my lows realllllllllllllllly need alot of work. I'm working on some things, including running my sub in IB, and even switching processing.

I scored very poorly in my mid bass area, and my system linearity, so i really need to get an RTA On this system and work on my speaker gains. which is very importent since my drivers are all so different.

[​IMG]

17. eviling

eviling Full Member

update!!!!

well look like my tires are gonna run me rougly 460$ so its new tires or new mids :-s and i only have MAYBE another 2 months out of my tires. the side job i'm doing in 2 weeks is gonna cover the cost of the tires..don't know when i;ll have the cash for the mids. but we'll move on. i wont be doing the false floor for the next 2 weeks as i'm doing some comps, on the 17th in MD, and on the 24th in pottsville, pa.

just cleaned things up first thing this morning since im going to that show. apperently my amp came unmounted from the one corner as you can see in the picture :confused: took care of that, vacumed, cleaned up and emptry the of all my crap.

[​IMG]

thats right! i use my trunk :p
    [​IMG]

first time this thing has been out in a longggggggg time. kind of a pain to lift a 130 lb box out of a trunk :confused:
    [​IMG]
    you can see my amp came loose :X shh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and than this happens :( and yes, thats a carbide bit O_O only done maybe 30 cuts with it too, and that was the VERY first cut of the day and it broke 1\4 way around. :mad: took it to sears and demanded a replacment (craftsman) and got the manager to get me a new bit. :D
    [​IMG]
    whoa, what an exausting day. i didnt mind working on my car when it was 40 out, but 90 degrees >_< ****s for the birds. I got everything all cleaned up, finished the baffles. i didn't do what i had planned, to much excesss with rings, so i just cut a hole into the baffle and mounted the speaker. worked fine on the driver side. passenger side...erm we had some clearence issues for some reason.

fixed that by picking up a 1\2" rabbit bit, still isn't big enough for the 3\4" flange on the L6's but it gave the edge more meat than the 1\4" rabbit bit i had. I simply cut the whole larger and rabbited it from their. its win win really, gives the cone more breathing air all around

driver side
    [​IMG]

origonal passenger side, blue was asking how i mounted them. this is how. you can see how i did it maybe half way through this thread?
    [​IMG]

the new pasenger side baffles, recessed.
    [​IMG]

this is what was hitting the cone
    [​IMG]
    problem solved ;)
    [​IMG]

once all that was done, i FINILY got around to making some speaker grills. still don't like em, but i like em better than how they were. feels strang, i had already gotten used to them being open. but poor SQ design on my part, as i'm tunneling the **** out of the mids now, but meh, i honestly don't hear the difference my self. probobly gonna pick up some black cloth and rewrap them, i thought the contrast would be nice, but meh. it's kind of bumming me out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. eviling

eviling Full Member

finily got my custom fit dashmat from dashmat.com, this is the LTD eddition. it's a great dashmat. decent quality, and it does the job :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]