my build on my 04' monte carlo LS

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by eviling, Jan 12, 2011.

1. eviling

eviling Full Member

its a radial dome tweeter. didnt i post about it? i thought i did :\ oh well. anyways. its a silk cone radial dome tweeter. its a more on the bright side kind of tweeter but for the application it's suits fine. i'm only crossing it over above 10k-12k hrz. maybe 8 if depending on how well the L4's handle up that high but the L4 is rated well into 20k hrz so i doubt i'll go that deep into the tweeter.
    this is a chart of this tweets natural magnet equivilent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. eviling

eviling Full Member

well, had a couple extra hours today so i finished 100% the engine bay with the proper size shrink wrap i recieved today in a package, and worked on the rings for my mid ranges and tweets, this is a prototype ring, i might redo it with smaller rings, i'm trying to keep things as stream line as possible.

cardboard template
    [​IMG]
    finished cutting template
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i' havnt even tried any placment. thuresday i'll have time to make the 2nd ring, and center ring, and i'll work on the baffles and do some placment testing inside the car :D getting so close!

oh and i got the money for my deck now, i'll be ordering it soon as it comes out, the pioner avic-x930bt

3. eviling

eviling Full Member

had an hour today to work on finalziing the cuts, i made another ruft draft that was supposed to be one of the finished rings, than i cut another 2, which i'm hoping will come out ot be the final cuts. it was pretty darn cold out their :( damn winter. anyways, just about all i got done was cutting the rings, and sanding them to match sizes, their about 90% their on the shape wise, only 70% on their on the final edges, id didnt cut the edges yet or anything. but it got dark :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see the two trial rings to the right. :p going to get them cut out, taped and screws tomorow, and hopefully get some placment testing done than. i did take a listen to the tweets and they appear to sound better to be aimed away from the user so i might cut these plates and twise them a bit to get a more desired sound, it depends thought might not be needed with the high ranges their playing. we'll see.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. eviling

eviling Full Member

i'm working on my door speaker baffles today, just about eating up all of the day light i have just to do these, i do have about 80% of the grunt work layed out, just need to build up some layers of fiberglass. i might bondo it just for some extra strength than, nothing to fancy, just a quick coat of bondo, and a sand down. probobly going to do about 3-4 layers of glass, don't want any resonence in the baffel, to thin i imagine it would be able to vibrate at the same speeds as the sound waves, def not good. anyhoo, picture time :) enjoy, i took many.

speaker ring
    [​IMG]

the old, the new ;) in the image before you lay on the rigth side - Hybrid L6, L4, and a SB SB29RDCN
    [​IMG]

the baffle
    [​IMG]

you can see we have a problem here...
    [​IMG]

not to worry we have plenty of wood!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

setting up position of the ring
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now THE FIBERGLASSING :d
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

yep thats about all i have done, i'm letitng it dry as we speak, had some down time so i started organizing some pictures. gonna try and get another layer on before the end of the day.

5. eviling

eviling Full Member

got some short hair fiberglass for structure, putting it on the face, and i'll apply a little bit to the back than around the angles for a little more structure. as you can see the sun is playing nice with me today :)
    [​IMG]

its raining tomorow, and i have class monday all day so i wont get any work probobly till next thursday, maybe some work tuesday, but probobly not much, the most work will get done next weekend. while drying those baffles i did do some work on the brackets for the mids and tweets, got the holes in, and trimed them down a bit more, still got some tweaking to do on them, im taking allot of time with those because i want them to come out good.

1 extension cord and 1 high output light later, i managed to get the other speaker in, sadly though it was way off and i had to do some extensive modifications on the door panel :( i managed to finily find the spots that were catch and cut them down, the grill needs to be modded a bit more its sitll pushing against the rim of the speaker :( but i did manage to get the door panel on and it had no vibrations so it's good for now.

on the other hand, i finily got to hear the L6's, and they sure are great speakers...but i can hear some defects, more than you'd expect from a 200$ driver <_< but they sound good, better than my old ones, the work was worth it, it sounds great with those angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bigbubba

bigbubba Member

This is an awsome thread. I have an '04 Monte Carlo and after reading this has got me ready to get off my butt and start putting all of the components I have been slowly collecting in my car. Great job.

7. eviling

eviling Full Member

why thank you, if you do baffles like me, be careful with your angles, the bottom of the door panels flange has allot of trouble with this, i sitll have to mod these baffles allot to get them to sit lower. going to all of that work tuesday, hopefull it'll solve all of my problems, the driver side inparticular gave me trouble, but thats because i went with a steeper angle to ajust for me being closer to it, didn't pay off to swell, had to cut allot of the door panel :(

8. bigbubba

bigbubba Member

Had a question about the door baffles. In one of your earlier pics, you mounted the tweeter at the top of the stock baffle. Did you need to cut the door to make it fit? I am going to do mine similar to yours but didn't want to cut any metal if I didn't have to.

9. eviling

eviling Full Member

yeah, door had to get cut for that. its a decent amount too, sorry but its nothing structureal, the strucal parts of the doors are to thick to cut with tin snips, which is what i used to do all of my snipping, for my new baffles, i cut way to much off :\ kinda feel bad about that lol.

got the fix plan laid out, gonna grind down the baffle hole 1\4" put a new ring on the back ( for the screws) and fiberglass over it all once more front and back to seal the whole thing, i had issues iwth the bondo not drying, i stired the crap out of it but some reason it still didn't fully dry everywhere. and its stinking up my car <_<

10. eviling

eviling Full Member

oh if anybody noticed, installing fiberglassed gear into a small confined space only several hours after drying = bad idea, i took my car out for a chore run, on the bright side...made my chore run allot funner because i was as high as a kyte by the time i got done ^_^

11. eviling

eviling Full Member

i'm on a break from working on my car, spent most of the morning finishing things up on the door panels, repaired a switch, and finished remounting the woofers after a nice trim job on the rings to get them to fit better, everything appears good. sounds good as well ;)

I finished the morning by preping the new brackets for the tweets and mids, and have just finished mounting them (well, i have them in the car :p ) and am thinking through what to do next, i listned to it a bit, and found I kind of missed the rear fill :\ I can defanatly hear it, i'm also having trouble because the tweets beam when on axis, but the mids are dull off axis, so i'ma have to twist them, i forsaw this though and had already througt through what and how i'll twist them, not a real big achievment to twise them, just cut and turn :p but i'll glue and sand things back. i might not get the cloth wraped today because i wanna take my time on placment, don't wanna rush this process :) its very important and is somewhat a no turn back zone once i start cutting trim and such ;)

the trims for the speakers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bigbubba

bigbubba Member

Oh crap! Didn't know you were going to mount those on top of the dash. I thought those were going into the door. I have a set of the Boston Imaging tweets that I was going to put in the most forward corner of the top of the dash. Add a few layers of limo tint to the corners of the windshield so they could not be seen from outside the car and protect them a little from the sun.

Just a question. Have you thought of maybe flipping the setup by having the smaller speaker in the corner of the windshield and dash? Maybe that would help tuck it in closer to the pillars. Don't know how much it would help or hurt the imaging.

13. eviling

eviling Full Member

i might dull down the tweets to much i think if i put them down their, espeicly since their going to be completey off axis.

14. eviling

eviling Full Member

alright gents, progress, i didnt get anything done :( but i did get the deck in and manage to break a amp! suposedly, we'll go into that.

alright, got the deck wired up, placed, GPS unit mounted, antena mounted, bluetooth mounted, dash modafied to fit full screen unit, and now i'm in the middle of finishing up the dash, still need to make a new baffle for the face fo the deck since the deck was an odd shape and the baffle that came with my dash kit didn't fit it, so i jsut used the mounting breakers and i did make an attempt at a baffle but my edges came out to ugly so i didnt put it on.

problems began with that baffle, than while trimming my dash, i trimmed the wrong port on accident, so now my Ac control unit has a gap along the edge :( than, finily got that sorted out..got the dash back in, started putting some of the panels back on, and threw in the mid\tweeter baffles for some placment testing...this was the first time ive tried them since i twise them..i forgot to account for the angle, so they didnt work..im not cutting the baffle into rings and mounting them sepratly. works out, that way i can keep the mid tighrter to the pillar, and place them in the ideal spots for each driver. anyways, got some of that tried out, tried some tweaking with cross overs, than realised my sub wasn't on..turns out after 2 hours of troubleshooting that the amp was faulting off, some reason it turning its self off, took me 2 hours before i noticed this red light on the amp...by than it was time to call it a day. anyways, time for pictures.

didnt crimp this time boys good old solder and shrink wrap. and those joins will never come apart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the deck wired up
    [​IMG]

ran the Bluetooth mic wire up the A pillar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after some sevier modification to the stock bracket, i mounted the mic up right above the driver seat, about 2' out from the corner in the line, i ran the wires, and doubleside taped it up their.
    [​IMG]

the external GPS unit, took the glove box out, and modified it to accept this unit. worked out really nicely, gives me complete access to it, and its completely out of site, barley even takes up any space on me. you can also see, their are absolutely no wires ;) i wanted to mount this in the center console, would of been my faverate spot for it, but the wire off the unit was more intended for glove box mounting clearly because it was far to short also made me mount the antenna inside the car, instead off on the trunk lid or the rear deck like i wanted too
    [​IMG]

GPS unit mounted, with glove box remounted, everything plugged in.
    [​IMG]

it's alive!
    [​IMG]

thats all i got, it's supposed to be even nicer tomorrow i'm hoping to get allot of work done, i'm starting early and getting those boating moving! i'll be placing, clothing and puting some layers of fiberglass on the A pillars, as well as finishing up some loose ends on the deck mounting. wasted almost my whole day installing this deck, so much bull**** :( even though it only took me 40 mins to do the deck install its self, to get the periferals installed and everything it was 3 pm, and i had started at 9 amp.

15. eviling

eviling Full Member

16. eviling

eviling Full Member

got some things done, there were more images but this is where i'm at

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got one mounted up, just need to glass this and bondo it i guess, i still dont know if i like the positioning. I may redo this and tweak it around.

17. eviling

eviling Full Member

alright, i did the passenger side, and repaired the driver side to the angle i liked.

i achived this by simply removing one of the back angle posts, and put in a longer one, the spandex simply streched out, i'll have to fill in a bunch than.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mocking up the passenger side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it didn't work out :(
    [​IMG]

fixed :)
    [​IMG]

i did a few more things, i finished wraping the passenger side in spandex, and tweaekd the angle a bit more. i think things are going well for my first time :p

18. eviling

eviling Full Member

alright, just a quick update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the mess lol almost looks like art

[​IMG]

19. bigbubba

bigbubba Member

Looking good. Remember, let it cure fully before installing. Don't need to drive around high.

20. eviling

eviling Full Member

oh no their will be none of that, plus iwth all the sand time, and set times, i wont even be able to put it in for weel ove ra week after it sets this time, its been "Dry" for 3 days already and i'm sitll sanding and touching up stuff.

anyways, here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres a picture of the inner wall, to show you how i structured it with the short hair bondo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]