MP3 Encoding

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Ranger SVO, Jan 8, 2007.

1. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

This might change the Big 3 !! Will have to change it to the Big 2 .
    • Orion Hydrogen Powered HU
    • Orion Hydrogen Powered 30" Sub
    • Orion Hydrogen Powered Component Speakers
    • Orion Plasma Vortec Hydrogen Power Supply
    • Total system Power 38,000 watts RMS
    :)

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey Viking and Ranger! lol i have officially joined the mass morons of ipod ownership. Grabbed a 20gig ipod from crappybay. Was a good deal so i couldn't pass it up. Was reading the manual that i downloaded and it appears that as soon as you start putting music into the ipod it automatically converts it to apple AAC format, So....all these formats may be useless because it will convert it anyways. Not 100% sure about this but will find out soon...

This is taken from the manual:

Audio File Formats Supported by iPod
    • AAC (M4A, M4B, M4P) (up to 320 Kbps)
    • Apple Lossless (a high-quality compressed format, available using iTunes 4.5 or later)
    • MP3 (up to 320 Kbps)
    • MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR)
    • WAV
    • AA (audible.com spoken word, formats 2, 3, and 4)
    • AIFF
    A song encoded using Apple Lossless format has full CD-quality sound, but takes up
    only about half the amount of space as a song encoded using AIFF or WAV format. The
    same song encoded in AAC or MP3 format takes up even less space. When you import
    music from a CD using iTunes, it is converted to AAC format by default.

If you are using iTunes 4.5 or later on a Windows PC, you can convert nonprotected
    WMA files to AAC or MP3 format. This can be useful if you have a library of music
    encoded in WMA format. For more information, open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes
    and Music Store Help.
    iPod does not support WMA, MPEG Layer 1, MPEG Layer 2 audio files, or audible.com
    format 1.

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Help!

I'm picking up my ipod today, does anyone know of better software than itunes, i haven't tried it yet but have been reading about it and it seems very restrictive. Also have read about 80 threads of people complaining that the ipods only last just over a year, then it starts skipping, freezing then eventually locked up. I think mine may go back to ebay where it belongs lol but wanted to see for myself what all the fuss is about. Creative, Sony and iRiver or something also make them and there seems to be a LOT less complaints. I have a 20 gig ipod, anyone else have this, or know of other software for it? Any input is appreciated thanks:)

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ITunes

Wow Itunes kicks ass big time. Check this out! These are songs from like 5 years ago i downloaded as mp3s at 128kbps and now look at them wohooo.
    MP4 AAC Have to hand it to Apple. Not sure about reliability but they got it down pretty good.!

Attached Files:

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

I went through the options in itunes and set it apple lossless, 3.4gigs of space for 111 songs but it's worth it for the quality.:)

Attached Files:

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ha!, never mind i think, i found how to change the volume duh. will try again tomorrow.:)

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Update...lol I have to turn my ipod up full to get the proper signal soooooo...
    This means the amp is running full in the ipod causing the battery to die quicker and my deck is working harder to amplify the weak signal so my deck is heating up. How is the Pac Turbo line driver for rcas. Anyone? My deck, pioneer deh-p7700mp has an output of 4v so I don't think i should get a line driver more than that to go into the decks aux rca. Don't want to damage my beautiful pioneer, it's the one thing i bought from ebay that was actually worth it.
    If it makes a difference i'm using the IP Bus for aux input on my pioneer deck, but it has rcas on the other end.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  9. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Your deck should not be working harder to amplify the signal. If you are putting out , say 4 volts with a high level source, you will be putting out 4 volts with a lower level source, just have to turn the volume up higher.....

10. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, when i pulled out the deck and touched the back, it will burn your hand it's so hot, maybe i'll get a 4 channel amp to take the load off of the deck because it is powering 6 speakers right now. And my ipod has to be cranked full to get a proper signal, i can turn my deck up to 61 or whatever it goes to and its not loud enough unless the ipod's volume is full, and am using the eq built in the ipod . Was thinking about the Pac Turbo line driver for rcas, then i can use the eq in the ipod and keep the volume very low, then make up for the difference with the line driver. That way the ipods battery will last a lot longer and i'm not running the ipod full tilt all the time. Hope it doesn't affect the sound too much!

11. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Apple Ipod 20 Gig

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't it never was!

I sold my 20 gig apple ipod and the guy screwed it so i made him send it back to me and refunded him to save my ebay account from getting negative feedback. It would power on show the apple sign then come to a screen with a stupid looking sad face, also sometimes it would show the apple sign then show a folder with an exclamation mark. So after screwing around for a week with it, it has come back to life with all my music intact, 10gigs of it wohoooo.

12. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

most of the time you just need to reboot it.my buddies son has a nano and he some how fuked it up last month.when i came over i asked how much music he had on it now.after showing me the ipod i reset it and all was good.just needed a charge.he never knew about the reset function.

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

It's funny though, the guy that bought it from me contacted ipod support
    http://www.apple.com/support/
    and they told him it was screwed. To get it fixed is like 180.00us or somewhere close to that so they hope you will just go buy a new one. LOL man they got all us suckers locked good right now.

Let's see if we can bump the hits on this thread lol, at least get something good out of Apple Macintosh PC USB Firewire Ipod 1st Generation 2nd Generation 3rd Generation 4th Generation Nano Micro Itunes Software Download Update Music WMA MP3 Encoding Software Speaker Subwoofer Enclosure Box Design Designer Creator Maker Vented Ported Slotted Custom Pro In-Dash Car Stereo Install Wiring Color Codes Car Audio Talk ? LOL

This Info below and more is located here! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

iPod is a brand of portable media players designed and marketed by Apple and launched in 2001. Devices in the iPod range are primarily digital audio players, designed around a central click wheel — although the iPod shuffle has buttons only. As of October 2005, the line-up consists of the video-capable fifth generation iPod, the smaller iPod nano, and the display-less iPod shuffle. The full-sized model stores media on an internal hard drive, while the smaller iPod nano and iPod shuffle use flash memory. Like many digital music players, iPods can also serve as external data storage devices. In January 2007, Apple announced the iPhone, a device that combined the features of the video-capable iPod with mobile phone and mobile Internet capabilities.

Apple's iTunes software is used to transfer music to the devices. As a free jukebox application, iTunes stores an entire music library on the user's computer and can play, burn, and rip music from a CD. It can also transfer photos, videos, games and calendars to the models that support them.

Apple focused its development on iPod's unique user interface and its ease of use, rather than on technical capability. As of October 2004, iPod is the world's best-selling range of digital audio players and its worldwide mainstream adoption made it one of the most popular consumer brands. Some of Apple's design choices and proprietary actions have, however, led to criticism and legal battles.

14. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Ok, well i've just about had it with Ipod, two weeks now uninstalling-reinstalling different itunes software versions, formatting hard drive, reset ipod, start in disk mode, scanned hard drive, memory, motherboard, sound, everything comes up as passed. I can't get it to load my freakin songs it keeps freezing up, starting to think the hard drive has corrupted sectors. Anyways i'm about to sell it as is for parts.

So i bought two of these now (IRiver 5GB MP3 Player), one working and one for parts, will try it out and see, i bet it's much better. Anyone have this, any comments?

IRIVER H10 5GB COLOR SCREEN MP3 PLAYER RECORDER

FEATURES:
    # Compact, lightweight 5 GB hard drive multimedia player in Remix Blue -- weighs only 3.4 ounces
    # Compatible with MP3 and WMA; also Secure WMA from online services
    # View JPEG photos and album cover art via 1.5-inch LCD
    # Built-in voice recording and FM tuner with FM recording capability
    # Swappable rechargeable lithium-ion battery

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Attached Files:

16. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Iriver H10 5 gig mp3 player kicks ass! Way better, faster and easier than ipod, sounds great too and no need for line amplifiers. I got 435 hand picked songs at 320kbs with a couple hundred mb left over for pictures or whatever. And...I made one folder with all the songs to be 4.29gb so it fits perfectly on one dvd!
    I recommend this over any ipod. No freezing or skipping either, very nice!