MP3 Encoding

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Ranger SVO, Jan 8, 2007.

1. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey, yes I agree sounds are getting smoothed out and artifically reassembled lol that studio sound or live sound is missing too. I notice when i record digital music it is very hard to fill the space with only a few things, there is no other noise like you would have in a live recording, the rooms dynamics and just air around the sound while it is being recorded. But you cannot stop the almighty microchip lol I have a feeling this is just the beginning of things that will be lost in the future.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

My theory on the whole topic is this.......

What do we listen too? we listen too sounds, right? RIGHT!

How do we hear those sounds? It is the compression and rarfraction of air , sound waves.......

I dont know bout the rest of ya, but to listen to a CD or MP3 is to listen to a representation of the music, not the music itself. Some of you might find that hard to understand, or even realize. i am guessing most folks on here have NEVER heard an analog recording. (phuck i am getting old)

My point is that the recording processes used today are for those that no NOTHING of the quality, sound and dynamics of what should be represented as. Sorry all you folks, but todays music that is in the realm of 320KB or lower sounds like dog ass to other medias.

I am turning this threa into a analog verses digital thing, which is not what it is about, sorry, i digress............

3. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

what is this analgue thing you mention LOL

Are we talking tape?

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ha i can't even spell it

5. TheViking

i am talking about ANY good analog recording.......

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Ok, got ya i think. I have been listening to mp3s so long now through many different systems and have gotten used to it i guess because when i put a storebought cd in my system after so long i was amazed how good my stereo sounded. Now that i'm burning at higher rates i'm hearing tiny minor sounds that i never heard before and am looking around my car to see where these sounds are coming from lol. This is new music mostly so i have never heard the storebought cd. A cd is a digital recording though of analogue type instruments are you saying this is still inferior?

7. TheViking

ANY digital recording will be inferior to an true analog recording. Again, we ALL hear in analog, why take an analog sound, convert it to digital, then from digital, reconvert it to analog and then amplify it????? I would MUCH rather hear a true accurate analog rcording.

case in point.......

we used to record various tracks onto a BETA vcr (hifi) from digital CD tracks, we used them for reference music in the music we played. When listening to the BETA vcr and then switching to the CD player....we found NO difference in SQ.

I am gunna do more critical listening before I say much more....But i am convinced, wthout a doubt, that analog/higher bit raes DO sond better. In the dynamic sense of the word.

will get back to you on this soon............

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey, do tom sawyer with media player if you can, put the rip options to windows media audio lossless at highest quality. it should say 940kbps on the slider for the quality. Or i can send mine to you

9. darryle

darryle Full Member

Its the early 80's,is it live or is it memorex,CD's are **** ,LP's are so pure,dolby B ,dolby C,DBX encoded discs...ok now to the point I've got two ears, music moves me.Its both audio and physical if you add visual I even like "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me"LOL.I'm in my mid 50's I've abused my ears for 40 years,high frequency hearing isn't what it used to be but if you take away 18 to 20 khz from my music I don't like it.Lately I've been burning CD to MP3 at 320 VBR without any volume matching.A one time reference disc"Brothers in arms" is boring,Annie Lenox live great dynamics.Clare Marlo "Its the motion"is amazing,Viking I cant find my Jennifer Warnes" bird on a wire" that should show up any defficiencies.... oh well back to my brandy

10. TheViking

Those are some great recordings darryle. One thing about juudging one media against the other is the fact that it involves music and true audiophile recordings. One i must say any true adiophile MUST have in his collection is the Sheffield Drum and Track recording.

11. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

You guys are freaking me out man!! lol When cds first came out they were supposed to be better than everything! They do have wave files on them but are converted from analog to digital and then back again like you said Viking. Let me know if you can do this song viking, Tom Sawyer. I'm very curious of your opinion. You should get a bitrate of 841kbps when it's finished converting from mp3 to wma with windows media player.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  12. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Ranger...come back, jump in here, I promise I will be nice:)

13. TheViking

I have the MP3 from ranger of tom sawyer, not sure of the bitrate. You have higher bit rate of the song eh? How ya wanna send it? I prefer http://www.yousendit.com/

PM me.........

14. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

pm sent ! :)

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

New Signature? lol

16. TheViking

downloading now!

17. TheViking

got the download, thanks.....It came to me as a realplayer file, played it as a realplayer file under real player. ....

Before i go anyfurther with this, you say i need to convert it to a wma file????

18. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

no its already a wma not sure about real player, you should be able to right click on it and then click open with and choose the program you want to open it. Or burn to cd as a data cd not audio, can also do multisesion if you want, then you can add more files later.

19. TheViking

Okee Dokee.........

well, this is interesting then, the file i recieved form ranger actually sounds better. The dynamics were about the same, but the high frequency response was better from Rnager's file.

Not sure as to why or how....I am a noob at alot of this "new" recording/bit rate modification stuff.....

20. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, are you using the same player for both?