MP3 Encoding

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Ranger SVO, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

All this started because of electrolytic and darryle. So I spent a couple of hours at the college today to talk about MP3 encoding. Basically what I wanted to know was what would get the best quality that we could get.

Now the two guys I talked to are serious computer geeks (I mean that with respect) and they also know audio.

Here is what I learned
    Constant Bit Rate (CBR) is what most of us use. Basically we select a rate at which we encode and the software encodes at that rate. Variable Bit Rate (VBR) however can change the rate at which it encodes. During extreme musical passages, for example, VBR will increase the encoding rate so that nothing is lost. During soft passages it will decrease the sampling rate simply because a high rate is not necessary. VBR is ALWAYS superior to CBR

There is another VBR called Average Bit Rate (ABR). Like VBR it can and does adjust the bit rate at which it encodes, but the user selects an average. In other words if I select 192, then it will adjust the bit rate but the average bit rate for the whole song will be 192.

VBR is the best, ABR is second best and they ask me why I was even bothering ripping at a Constant Bit Rate

They both agreed that Lame is the best encoder and there is nothing close to Lame as far as quality

Here are the settings they recommended for Audiograbber and Lame

[​IMG]

I'll try this here in the next couple of days and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol nice, only one downside to this is the higher quality you go the bigger the song will be. Maybe as much as 15-20 Mega Bytes for one song where the normal size on the net is about 5 Mega Bytes. I remember something about that now that you mention it, i think it is the deepest notes that require the higher bitrate.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I just ripped 6 songs and the file size is just slightly larger. Remember it adjusts bit rate as needed during the song. The bit rate actually changes as the song plays.

I'm gonna see what it sounds like today.

Burn a sample disc, lets give it a try. To keep it simple download Lame and audiograbber, use them to rip 5 or 6 test songs, burn it as MP3 and lets compare notes.

4. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

hey, Ranger i don't have blanks right now but my computer is hooked up to a nice onkyo surround system so i can tell the difference here without burning a cd. Lets pick a song that we can both download from the net, something at 128kbs and give me the exact file size of the song you choose and i will get the exact same file and use dbpoweramp, it has variable bit rate too. then we can compare the differences in software. I'm sure variable will be better as long as the file size doesn't go crazy. I must have been thinking of when i tried burning around 980kbs when the file size went crazy.

5. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Attached Files:

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

Attached Files:

7. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Attached Files:

8. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Hey, download this song, it's popular and will be fast to get. Metallica - One

The files size is 6.79MB 128kbs make sure you get that exact file and we can go from there.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I can download that song, no problem. But don't we want to compare what we encode to the original?

What I have done so far is encode a couple of songs
    1. Seether -Gasoline
    2. Sara Evans -Suds In The Bucket
    3. Martina McBride -Independence Day
    4. Damone - Outta My Way
    5. Offspring - Hit that
    6. Blue Plate Special - Night Out

I put all 6 on the Ipod twice. The first version of each song was ripped at a Constant Bite Rate of 192, the second was at a Variable Bit Rate.

Both sound like the original CD (I own these CD's) but the Variable Bit Rate has the depth and presence like the original. Now the VBR file size is about 1Mb larger than the 192 CBR. But I dont cosider that Significant.

So what did you have in mind? I'll download the song in a minute.
    ( the only problem I see with this is we don't know how the downloaded song was encoded)

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK got it.

12. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

We will get very close but even coming off the original store bought cd if you convert that wave file to an mp3, no matter what you do, you are compressing it in one way or another so quality will be lost. I just want to make this clear in case you go to a competion, i would never use an mp3 file. It would probably cost you a decible or two no matter how you convert-compress it. Like you said most people won't hear the difference but i do, i have done quite a bit of studio recording on my own so i know a little lol. If you want the exact duplicate off of your storebought cd then you have to just copy the file as a Wave file, one song is about 65 MB, The wave file is an exact copy of whats on the cd, if you keep the wave file as is when you copy it to your computer you can then put it to a flash drive or something and plug it in the HU that way. I don't think ipods can play wave files but maybe they do.

13. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, do your best lol lets see what you end up with, is it 6.79mb?

14. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

My file is just a little larger, it is 6.8mB

15. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ok, the size changed now from what i downloaded this is the original size of the song. 6,953KB it's showing on my computer

Attached Files:

16. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I just noticed a minor problem, in your Advanced Lame Options in the Presetsection. Look at the quality setting. It says "NO Preset"

Type the following in that line %s %d -V2 --vbr-new

This setting will make Lame work like its supposed to

17. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

it will override my other settings if i use that, it is a menu when you click it and it shows like 10 different qualitys. its not necessary to use it. This is the best i can do with dbpower amp heres all the pics!! I can do way better with windows media player lol but its been a while. Even with windows media player this still will be a slight loss of quality. I don't go to competitions so i don't need exact. I'm happy with 320Kbs.:)

18. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Attached Files:

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Attached Files:

20. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Don't use Windows Media Player. Its the worst one I've used. The sound was always tinny (AZN did I spell that right) regardless of bit rate.

Anyway with out that setting Lame is just another encoder, it is not able to encode at 100%

[​IMG]

The sound quality with this setting is incredible.